False advertisement - what are my rights?

Hi All,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right section so apologies if not. I'm looking for some advice regarding something I bought a while back that turn out was falsely advertised. Just short of a couple of years ago, I invested in some graphic marker pens from a well known crafting company on the basis they were refillable. In fact, the company claims even to this day that the pens as 'for life' because of the ability to refill. I didn't need the refills straight away because obviously the pens were new, but I was happy that when they started to run out I could go back and get refills.

Sadly, this is turning out not to be the case. I have contacted the company several times over the past year (probably longer) only to be told they were in development and to 'watch this space'. They persistently release new products but they fail to produce the reinkers.

I spent around £200 on the complete collection of markers and I'm not feeling completely duped, as I know hundreds if not thousands, of other people will be.

What are my rights in terms of claiming anything back on the basis of false advertisement? With me buying them so long ago, I'm guessing probably nothing but wondered if anyone was able to give any advice?

Kind regards
Rebecca

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    False adverts its the advertising standards authority you complain to .

Faulty goods or not as described its the Consumer Regulations against the vendor .
    See sticky top of page .

Also what is a while back 6 months 3 years ??
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »

That'll be the
    Just short of a couple of years ago

bit. ;)
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    JJ_Egan wrote: »

The thread says just short of 2 years ago.
  • Bek12 wrote: »
    What are my rights in terms of claiming anything back on the basis of false advertisement? With me buying them so long ago, I'm guessing probably nothing
    I'm guessing nothing too.
  • What's the company so we can see the advert?

The limit on "not as described" is probably still 6 years like most things, but of course its rarely used over a small time frame as normally this is very apparent straight away.

Maybe someone better informed would know.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Where is the supplier based? Where were they advertising? Is the product actually overpriced compared with non-refillable equivalents?
  • That's awful! I know how much decent markers cost, and they are worth it, but this is just false advertising. I would send the company an email saying that they mislead you into thinking they were refillable, if they cannot be refilled as promised then you demand a new set
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure