I've been charged £142 VAT + £25 duty on £262 inc p&p order from China

I've bought something from China at $342 (£262 as of right now) inc p&p. I do this 3 times a month and have been for 4 years now so I'm pretty up to speed on what I should be paying. I have a group of invoices from sale vendor give or take couple of dollars all sent Fedex and all around £70 all in import,VAT and charges. I then get £179 through the door !!! I can't argue it with Fedex they just say pay or won't get delivered and returned. This is clearly wrong customs calculation by around £100 but I need the stock and I've had to pay it.

The scans are direct from Fedex as I asked to see them before handing over money.

what's my next step now ?

I have scans of the documents on photo bucket but it won't let me add them

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ezzer wrote: »
    I've bought something from China at $342 (£262 as of right now) inc p&p. I do this 3 times a month and have been for 4 years now so I'm pretty up to speed on what I should be paying. I have a group of invoices from sale vendor give or take couple of dollars all sent Fedex and all around £70 all in import,VAT and charges. I then get £179 through the door !!! I can't argue it with Fedex they just say pay or won't get delivered and returned. This is clearly wrong customs calculation by around £100 but I need the stock and I've had to pay it.

The scans are direct from Fedex as I asked to see them before handing over money.

what's my next step now ?

I have scans of the documents on photo bucket but it won't let me add them

Are the invoices showing the exact product descriptions and genuine prices?

HMRC are beginning to tighten up on fake price invoices so you might find they’ve valued the goods at market rate (or even checked the retailers own website for real selling prices) and then charged the duty accordingly.
    ====
  • yes , I've been doing this for 4 years , the last shipment in was 16th Jan 2019 , SOLD item ticked , contents described exactly with costs $310 and delivered by Fedex around 22nd Jan with £75.50 VAT/import/fees. It was always always been same and them boom a huge one at 52.4% VAT £142 alone VAT
  • Is there someway I can check or get a second opinion officially via HMRC ? Ive had a look on HRMC and all I can find is Royal Mail/Parcel Force related refunds.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My best advice would be to call HMRC and ask what you can do. If you speak to them you can explain the product and the true cost and see where that takes you.

Get as much info from your end as you can. The full costs, copy of invoice, web page links, etc.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ezzer wrote: »
    Is there someway I can check or get a second opinion officially via HMRC ? Ive had a look on HRMC and all I can find is Royal Mail/Parcel Force related refunds.
    Call HMRC for help with questions about importing, exporting and customs reliefs.

Telephone:
    0300 200 3700

There are also email/chat/postal details in the link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/customs-international-trade-and-excise-enquiries
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport