IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

County Court Defence

Options
Hi there,
Just over two years ago my vehicle was parked in a car park which contained both "pay and display" spaces and "free for 1-hour" spaces for shoppers using the adjacent shop. My vehicle was parked in a free space. On my return from the shop a PCN was affixed to the car. The car park signs at the time were small and not very clear but these have recently been updated with larger signs.
I was issued with a County Court Claim late January 2019 and have filed an AOS - waiting for a response to SAR.
Can anyone have a look at the Defence and pull apart as necessary. Thanks

IN THE COUNTY COURT

CLAIM No: xxxxxxxxxx

BETWEEN:

(Claimant)

-and-

(Defendant)

1. The Defendant denies that the Claimant is entitled to relief in the sum claimed, or at all.
2. The Defendant is the registered keeper of the vehicle in question.

Particulars of Claim

3.The Claimant has failed to provide any details of the claim prior to issuing a claim at court. As such, the Claimant has failed to comply with the Practice Direction – Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols, para 6 (a) & (c).
The Letter before Action fails to provide the following information:
i A clear summary of facts on which the claim is based.
ii A list of the relevant documents on which the claimant intends to rely.
iii How the “Principal Debt and Initial Legal Costs” of £160.00 pounds has been calculated.

4. The particulars of claim fail to meet CPR16.4 and PD16 7.3-7.5 consisting of a completely unsubstantiated and inflated three-figure sum. The claim form itself is vague and lacks pertinent information as to the grounds for the claimant’s case

5. Due to the sparseness of the particulars, it is unclear as to what legal basis the claim is brought i.e. whether this charge is founded upon an allegation of trespass or 'breach of contract' or contractual 'unpaid fees'. This has denied the Defendant a fair chance to defend this claim in an informed way.
As an unrepresented litigant-in-person the Defendant respectfully requests permission to amend and/or supplement this interim defence as may be required following a full disclosure of the Claimant's case.

No legally binding contract

7. It is denied that the Defendant, or any driver of the vehicle, entered into any contractual agreement with the Claimant, whether express, implied, or by conduct when parking at xx on xxx. It is further denied that there was any agreement to pay the Claimant's £100 'Parking Charge Notice (PCN)'.

8. In any event, it is denied that the signage used by this claimant at the time of the alleged contravention, could have created a fair or transparent contract. The signage and road markings were inconsistent, confusing, unclear and hence incapable of binding the driver, thus distinguishing this case from ParkingEye v Beavis.

Unconscionable and unreasonable inflation of costs

9. In the addition it is submitted that the conduct of the Claimant is wholly unreasonable and vexatious. The claim includes an additional £60 ‘Contractual Costs’ for which no calculation or explanation is given, and which appears to be an attempt at double recovery. In addition, these costs not permitted under CPR 27.14

10. In the alternative, it was held in the Supreme Court in Beavis (where £85 was claimed, and no more) that a private parking charge already includes a very significant and high percentage in profit and more than covers the costs of running an automated regime of template letters.

No locus standi

11. The Claimant is put to strict proof that it has sufficient proprietary interest in the land, or that it has the necessary authorisation from the landowner to issue parking charge notices, and to pursue payment by means of litigation.

12. It is believed that this is a claim that will proceed without any facts or evidence supplied by the Claimant until the last possible minute, to the significant detriment of the unrepresented Defendant.

13. The defendant denies the claim in its entirety voiding any liability to the claimant for all amounts claimed due to the aforementioned reasons.

14. In summary, it is the Defendant's position that the claim discloses no cause of action, is without merit, and has no real prospect of success. Accordingly, the Court is invited to strike out the claim of its own initiative, using its case management powers pursuant to CPR 3.4.

Statement of Truth:

I believe the facts contained in this Defence are true.

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is the Issue Date on your Claim Form?
  • BWLegalRus
    Options
    31 jan 2019
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BWLegalRus wrote: »
    31 jan 2019
    With a Claim Issue Date of 31st January, and having done the Acknowledgement of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Tuesday 5th March 2019 to file your Defence.

That's two weeks away. Loads of time to produce a good Defence, but don't leave it to the very last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as suggested here:
      Print your Defence.
    1. Sign it and date it.
    2. Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    3. Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    4. Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    5. Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defended". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    6. Do not be surprised to receive a copy of the Claimant's Directions Questionnaire, they are just trying to put you under pressure.
    7. Wait for your DQ from the CCBC, or download one from the internet, and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 February 2019 at 7:48PM
    Options
    Very clearly you have studied this forum, well done for that

Who is the parking company ? ... assume Britannia ?

"The car park signs at the time were small and not very clear but these have recently been updated with larger signs."

A key point for you. You will of course need to see photos of the signs 2 years ago ..... Current signs are not applicable.
    Also, the dates the new larger signs were installed.

You refer to double recovery re the £60.

I think Bargepole's assessment on this should be included ...

In addition to the 'parking charge', the Claimant's legal representatives, BWLegal, have artificially inflated the value of the Claim by adding costs of £60 which has not actually been incurred by the Claimant, and which are artificially invented figures in an attempt to circumvent the Small Claims costs rules using double recovery.

These older claims are flawed and BWLegal just issue roboclaims with no attention to details
  • BWLegalRus
    Options
    Yep - Brittania!

I do not have any photos from the date of the contravention. I have asked for signage photos in SAR but doubt these will be provided so don't really know how to expand on this in the defence.

I will add Bargepole's assessment, thanks.
  • beamerguy
    Options
    Yep - Brittania!

I do not have any photos from the date of the contravention. I have asked for signage photos in SAR but doubt these will be provided so don't really know how to expand on this in the defence.

I will add Bargepole's assessment, thanks.

You don't need photo's ... it will be up to Britannia to prove the signs at the time ? doubt they can do this

You simply point out to the judge that you have requested photos of the signs 2 years ago which Britannia has failed to provide.
    Let the judge ask the questions

Are they charging interest ???
  • BWLegalRus
    Options
    Yes... 8% per annum
  • beamerguy
    Options
    Yes... 8% per annum

They do, they think that judges were born yesterday ?

The question for the judge is why have they waited 2 years to bring a claim and then think they can charge interest for their failings.

Bit of an eye opener for you
  • BWLegalRus
    Options
    Ooh good point. Do you think I need to add this to the defence?
  • beamerguy
    Options
    Ooh good point. Do you think I need to add this to the defence?

I don't think so, this is something you say to the judge.

Your job, if these monkeys don't discontinue, is to highlight their flaws.

Understand that BWLegal send "freshmen" to court, these are "rent a mouth" bods who don't have a clue

I guess the only way Britannia can provide photos 2 years ago, is to find a TARDIS and go back in time. Failing that, what can they show a judge ????

Get your costs schedule together bearing in mind that a judge will award you some £95
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure