Delay for a new car - what are my rights?

Comments

• Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Same issue with a Karoq (not anything as flash as yours LOL) but the one we want has gone from 16 weeks to 25. We have an option to walk away or wait, that's pretty much it black and white from the dealer. Luckily they will stand by the pex value for our chav wagon.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • True_Blues
    True_Blues Posts: 50 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2019 at 6:13PM
    Thanks Exemplar. I didn’t think that they had an obligation but thought I’d throw it open to he MSE collective to see if there was any advice.
    Good news on your PEX, I hope you enjoy you new car (when you get it)

Ps just noticed that you have a picture of an Atari 2600 - that takes me back :)
  • Exemplar
    We are toying whether we wait or get a Kia Sportage. I like the Skoda, SWMBO likes the Kia (GT model). She's a complete sucker for LED lights, our late 2015 TT has the dynamic indicators (the swooshy ones). Nothing like pretty lights to encourage German car drivers to actually use the darn things!

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    I had the same with my wife's Honda, although the revised delivery date was a pessimistic one and she ended up getting it earlier anyway.

Whilst we were waiting I got her a £250 banger to drive for 4 months and then sold it on again for £200.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    True_Blues wrote: »
    On my Evoque it's the "Driver assist pack" that includes:
    AdaptiveCruise Control with Steering Assist, High-speed Emergency Braking

Have you paid for those? Have them fitted to the trucks I drive since 2014 (albeit without steering assist) and even four years of development later on the 2019 ones we have they still turn off in even light snow, heavy rain or when there's a lot of surface spray on the road and this isn't just with one vehicle manufacturer but three including Mercedes. The emergency braking can be prone to false positives leading to some heart stopping moments as the alarm sounds even if the brakes aren't applied. At least there's no low speed emergency braking so you won't find it trying to brake when you approach a car sat in a central turn right reservation on a tight left hand bend or a set of offset traffic lights.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    On my Evoque it's the "Driver assist pack" that includes:

Blind Spot Assist, 360º Surround Camera, Clear Exit Monitor, AdaptiveCruise Control with Steering Assist, High-speed Emergency Braking, Park Assist, 360º Parking Aid and Rear Traffic Monitor

I understand that the sliding panoramic roof is also an issue (but I didn't spec that)

Our cheapie Yaris has lots of 'driver assist' stuff. Its all turned off, largely because it scares the hell out of you with its constant warnings and flashing lights.
  • Exemplar
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Our cheapie Yaris has lots of 'driver assist' stuff. Its all turned off, largely because it scares the hell out of you with its constant warnings and flashing lights.

We had a Chevvy Surburban LT in the states last year as a hire car. Took me nearly a day to work out all of the stuff that was going on with it! I felt like I was piloting the shuttle!

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Exemplar wrote: »
    We had a Chevvy Surburban LT in the states last year as a hire car. Took me nearly a day to work out all of the stuff that was going on with it! I felt like I was piloting the shuttle!

How many gallons per mile did it do?
  • Exemplar
    Actually - we got 14! On some days....

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A courtesy car would fix the issue, this was offered at point of sale if there was a delay - but this was intended for a short delay. It would be great if JLR step up and offer me one but I sense that it is highly unlikely. I guess that this is the answer to your first question, as I say highly unlikely but would certainly keep the sale and be great customer service.

It's certainly worth asking, especially if it was offered earlier. They might just offer you something, even if you have to contribute something towards it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure