Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

Options

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    That makes sense to some degree but not everyone will need to file a return and plenty won't want to do it just because they have gone to the trouble of opening a lot of accounts to maximise their interest return.

Particularly with such a lot of the interest being taxed at 0% these days!!
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That makes sense to some degree but not everyone will need to file a return and plenty won't want to do it just because they have gone to the trouble of opening a lot of accounts to maximise their interest return.

Particularly with such a lot of the interest being taxed at 0% these days!!

If my actual is close to the estimate I may not make a return anyway.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    The weakness in the whole system is that each figure used in the current coding is an estimate or last year's correct figure or a figure that has been reported to them. The last item should be reliable, last year's figures could be miles out or the source of last year's interest doesn't exist any more.
    No, my PSA has the correct this-year figures for all my coded-out items, both real and imaginary.

The weakness in the whole system, I suggest, is the hubris that envelops HMRC when it comes to software. This latest contribution to MTD's "The Death of the Annual Return" is being fielded when it just doesn't work - just like with their SA software.

There's nothing difficult with the software HMRC needs - neither in writing a competent specification nor in implementing it - nor in coding it. That hasn't stopped HMRC deploying version after version that contain serious errors.

Here they are, doing it again.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Agreed

as I posted recently in the personal Savings Allowance Thread

"In my 35 years experience between 1971 and 2006, not one of the computer systems/projects/solutions introduced by HMRC (or IR as I prefer to remember it) ever worked as intended.

On the contrary, many seemed to involve reinvention of rectangular wheels. That includes both internal and customer facing innovations.

I'm yet to be persuaded that Personal Tax Accounts or Making Tax Digital will be different".
  • DennisTenus
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    Yes, but only to receive priceless advice such as:

" Banks don't inform us of interest anymore. They stopped that in 2015"

Well that can't be right, mine had loads of accounts in it from 17-18 tax year
  • youngretired
    Options
    I was told this re HMRC no longer gets told by the banks, but when I asked them to double check with the managers, they then confirmed that YES banks do provide them!

However not all banks and certain banks only provide for some customers.

Lloyd's provided my husbands details, but not my mum and dad's. When my parents asked Lloyds they said that they don't provide details to HMRC!!!!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I was told this re HMRC no longer gets told by the banks, but when I asked them to double check with the managers, they then confirmed that YES banks do provide them!

However not all banks and certain banks only provide for some customers.

Lloyd's provided my husbands details, but not my mum and dad's. When my parents asked Lloyds they said that they don't provide details to HMRC!!!!

NS&I (government agency) failed to notify HMRC (government agency) of interest credited to several accounts in my name and in that of my late sister. You couldn't make it up:(
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 February 2019 at 5:00PM
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    NS&I (government agency) failed to notify HMRC (government agency) of interest credited to several accounts in my name and in that of my late sister. You couldn't make it up:(

Might have been just as well for you if they hadn't. In my case NS&I misreported to HMRC and then denied it. I wrote to their boss - HMT - and got them to bash NS&I into admitting that they were wrong (which they did), and to send me a corrected summary (which they only did after more HMT bashing of them).

What HMT didn't, apparently, do was to beat NS&I into line in that NS&I admitted their error but said that they weren't going to change their processes one jot, and that next year I'd have to sort it out directly with HMRC.

Now, you really couldn't make that up, could you? :)
  • caveman38
    caveman38 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have now had my code for 19/20 and they have used my 17/18 reported interest as the expected figure for 18/19 and the proposed figure for 19/20. I am happy with the 17/18 figure and the amount for the 18/19 & 19/20 interest too. But the accounts yielding the interest have changed.
    Is it OK for me to delete those that don't exist any more and add the new ones which still give approximately the same figure. By using the online PTA or do I have to use a webchat or send a letter. Does the system automatically pick up the changes or do you have to notify them.
    Or is it not worthwhile and best for the institutions to notify them at the end of each tax year where I assume the changes will be made. If it is worthwhile to manually change the PTA. When is it best to make the changes.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Is it OK for me to delete those that don't exist any more and add the new ones which still give approximately the same figure.
    Or is it not worthwhile and best for the institutions to notify them at the end of each tax year where I assume the changes will be made.

It is personal choice really but unless there is going to be a material difference there seems little point in interfering now.

Of course the 2019:20 total may be quite different to that received in 2017:18 however any figure you can provide for 2019:20 is just a more educated estimate than the one HMRC have used. Things will always get reviewed when the actual figures are received.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback