Pothole catch 22

2»

Comments

• debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    I've just thought, when someone buys one of my eBay sales, I should just mark it as "identified for posting", then I can post it, as and whenever I feel like it. I like these new rules. I'm telling my wife that I have 'identified' we need a new shed building then she has to get off my case right

You're coming across as a bit of an idiot.

It's public policy and enshrined in law that a local authority have a reasonable time to effect repairs to the carriageway if a defect arises.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/58
  • Even easier option, find a like for like car in scrap yard with same interior. Swap passenger seat and airbag module from scrap car into yours. Job done and expect to pay under £100, at the right yard under £50.

- of course, how have I not thought of this... There's a good scrappie near me. I don't think they do repairs themselves... any idea how easy it is to replace a seat and airbag module?
    The council have no interest in helping you at all. They want you to go away and not claim off them.

Yes, I know. I forget how the system works sometimes.
    If you want to make a claim, you will have to have a total bill that you are claiming for, and evidence that the council were negligent in not repairing the pothole fast enough.

So you need to know how much the car will cost to repair. You will also need to have done a FOI (Freedom of Information) request to find out when they knew about the pothole, and how long it took them to do anything about it.

If their time scales to repair potholes are reasonable, then they can claim that they were not negligent. If they took too long repairing it, then they are negligent.

I like this concise explanation. I've put in an FOI request for this info. Then at least I can get a heads up on the likelihood of a successful claim before I make the decision.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yesmilady wrote: »
    any idea how easy it is to replace a seat and airbag module?
    Seat'll be easy. Just a handful of bolts and a couple of wiring multiplugs.

Finding the matching trim might be trickier.

If ever you work on anything airbag, disconnect the battery, then put the kettle on. Have a cuppa. Have a biscuit. Waste some time on t'net. THEN start doing the work... Airbag systems store charge in capacitors, precisely because the battery might get disconnected fairly early on in a really big collision. You want to let them self-discharge before touching anything. Sure, you're fiddling with an already deployed bag - but the others aren't.
  • Thanks AdrianC.

Matching trim I can do without - as long as it's not likely to set off any alarms at MOT? Is a replaced airbag (or replaced seat & airbag) the same as the original?
    If ever you work on anything airbag, disconnect the battery, then put the kettle on. Have a cuppa. Have a biscuit. Waste some time on t'net. THEN start doing the work... Airbag systems store charge in capacitors, precisely because the battery might get disconnected fairly early on in a really big collision. You want to let them self-discharge before touching anything. Sure, you're fiddling with an already deployed bag - but the others aren't.

Ah, all sorted - I spent some time finding the module yesterday so thought I'd disconnect from the start. And then spent twice as much time trying to get the !!!!!! out, to no avail. The screw appears to have been tightened by Thor himself.

Great advice, thank you - I'm bound to be back with more questions
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The replacements from the scrappies/Ebay will be the same as the one you've got as long as you get one from the same model of car (as in MK1/2/3 etc, not trim level).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure