Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,671Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 117
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th Feb 19, 9:48 AM
    • 8,786 Posts
    • 28,381 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Fairy washing bar, dolly84? Do please tell me more as Himself is looking like a wet hen since he couldn't find the Vanish Bars he loved. I did suggest making a paste but "it's gritty" apparently. (The pestle & mortar hasn't appealed, as we use it largely for food. Small mercies, eh?!)
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 18th Feb 19, 3:51 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 17,067 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    They had some new stuff in the £1 charity shop today, the one in Barking.

I got two blue/green Oasis dresses, one cobalt blue Mango dress and a blue Warehouse top.
    "Fall seven times and stand up eight."
    Japanese Proverb
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 18th Feb 19, 4:27 PM
    • 9,154 Posts
    • 10,854 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Marie Curie had about seven identical B&H gift sets.

I'm so surprised; thought they would have sold for Valentine's Day. £6 each, what a bargain.

Salvation Army seems to have overstock from Aldi - everything from tinfoil to xmas lights.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • MiroMark2
    • By MiroMark2 18th Feb 19, 6:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    MiroMark2
    Promises, promises!

Today, in the BHF shop, priced at £2.49,I found a Berghaus lightweight cotton shirt that promises to have inbuilt mosquito protection. Well, it will be sorely tested shortly as I am orft on hols to the rainforest soon and I have never ever found owt that persuades the dratted mozzies to leave me alone. Tried Deet, vitamin B12, eating loads of Marmite and garlic, sonic devices, Jungle Formula stuff, Avon Skin So Soft, Citronella candles, wristbands, Lemon eucalyptus oil, some lethal stuff that the American soldiers used in Vietnam...all to no avail. Always end up with badly infected bites.

Anyhoo...apart from the shirt I found a garment cover thingy for 50p and a nice flowery cardboard storage box also 50p.
    Last edited by MiroMark2; Yesterday at 7:01 PM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Feb 19, 7:03 PM
    • 27,903 Posts
    • 59,419 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Marie Curie had about seven identical B&H gift sets.

I'm so surprised; thought they would have sold for Valentine's Day. £6 each, what a bargain.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Mother's Day is yet to come.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th Feb 19, 7:05 PM
    • 8,786 Posts
    • 28,381 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Truly the perils of maternity are understated.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Feb 19, 7:25 PM
    • 27,903 Posts
    • 59,419 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Truly the perils of maternity are understated.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Only if your kids really hate you
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 19th Feb 19, 9:07 AM
    • 4,277 Posts
    • 39,756 Thanks
    dolly84
    DFV - the Fairy bars come in a two pack and they will last you the rest of your natural life. You just need to wet the soap and the stain then rub over, a bit of scrubbing then wash, I leave all the soap in the stain (no rinsing) when it goes in the machine, the bar just goes in a freezer bag till next time.

Miro - I was in your stomping ground of Ilkley and Otley yesterday. I went for a walk on Ilkley Moor then into town. Ilkley prices are so crazy, in the BHF (I think it was) I saw one of those very thin down filled jackets, not a well known brand I didn't think and they wanted £20, right next door is Mountain Warehouse and they had the same style coats outside for £11.99. I don't buy down first or second hand so wasn't interested but are they crazy?

I may have bought another coat - what on earth is wrong with me? For ages I have wanted a grey knee length overcoat style coat and yesterday I found one, grey Harris Tweed, 4 concealed buttons to the front, split to the back, blush pink satin lining £9.99.

I also got a BNWT pair of White Stuff grey and white floral pyjamas, thick fabric, long sleeved, trousers have a drawstring waist and a turnup £4.99, also a pair of seemingly unworn M&S suede gloves in chocolate brown with thinsulate lining, think they may be mens but they will be great for dog walking and driving £4.99.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Feb 19, 10:22 AM
    • 21,661 Posts
    • 58,590 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I may have bought another coat - what on earth is wrong with me? For ages I have wanted a grey knee length overcoat style coat and yesterday I found one, grey Harris Tweed, 4 concealed buttons to the front, split to the back, blush pink satin lining £9.99.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    dolly84 - that sounds like a bargain.
    I'd have bought it too - even if it meant making room by getting rid of another coat.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 19th Feb 19, 11:31 AM
    • 5,867 Posts
    • 25,466 Thanks
    Mirů

Miro - I was in your stomping ground of Ilkley and Otley yesterday. I went for a walk on Ilkley Moor then into town. Ilkley prices are so crazy, in the BHF (I think it was) I saw one of those very thin down filled jackets, not a well known brand I didn't think and they wanted £20, right next door is Mountain Warehouse and they had the same style coats outside for £11.99. I don't buy down first or second hand so wasn't interested but are they crazy?

Originally posted by dolly84

Yay...found a workaround and can now post as myself again!!! (Probs only til I gets logged out again tho!)

Blimey...must have been a bit chilly up on them thar moors......hope you had a hat Totally agree about the Ilkley prices....did you go to 'Betty's' for afternoon tea?? You would need access to a defibrillator if you saw their prices!

The coat sounds a lovely style but isn't the Harris Tweed a bit scratchy? I called into the garden centre just outside Otley on Saturday and tried on a lovely Harris Tweed jacket but it felt sooo itchy/scratchy.....
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 19th Feb 19, 11:47 AM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 9,990 Thanks
    Living proof
    Fairy washing bar, dolly84? Do please tell me more as Himself is looking like a wet hen since he couldn't find the Vanish Bars he loved. I did suggest making a paste but "it's gritty" apparently. (The pestle & mortar hasn't appealed, as we use it largely for food. Small mercies, eh?!)
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    I imagine the Vanish bar I have must be about 30 years old and there is still 75% left. I only use it for spots stains before machine washing but it works brilliantly and is much more efficient than the granular stuff, although I do use that if I have large areas of stain to contend with. I remember the Fairy washing bar and rubbing it over wet collars on some sort of wooden board. But that will be 55 years ago or so!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,834Posts Today

8,955Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

• Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v? https://t.co/FJchchPk0o

• If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi? https://t.co/N61QGBOJ6b

• Follow Martin