sky refusing to let me pay early termination fee

Hi
I have been with sky for 4 years now with a Sky+ 2TB box, Every year I call up and get my next 12 month contract half price, At the moment I'am paying £17 a month until May

Last week my box starting playing up, I ended up losing all my recordings (79% full) and I cant always get a picture.
I called sky to upgrade to Sky Q, they advised I would be paying £17 until May then it goes to £35pm for 18 months and there were no offers on my account

I checked their website and found I could pay £25.20 to terminate early (https://www.sky.com/help/articles/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early)

I just called sky this morning and was advised the website is incorrect and I cannot leave early (unless I was moving abroad!) I was told there are no offers on my account to get a discount on Sky Q but I could pay for an engineer to come out and check my box
I explained again about the early terminate fee and wanted to leave and was told that's incorrect and needs investigating!

I was given the choice of waiting until may (with hit & miss sky viewing) or going to sky Q at full cost

Anyone had the same issue or can offer advice please?
I would stay with sky but not a full price

Comments

• I checked their website and found I could pay £25.20 to terminate early

No, according to the link you gave that's the price you pay if Sky cancelled your contract due to you breaching the T&C's.
    When do I have to pay early termination charges?

For Sky TV/Sky Q, HD, Sky+, Sky Multiscreen and Sky Q experience: To end your contract, you’ll need to give us at least 31 days’ notice, which can’t end before your minimum term finishes. The early termination charges below are only payable if we end the relevant TV contract within your minimum term because you’ve breached your terms and conditions.

Edit: Phone them back and schedule a cancellation for the end of your minimum term, I've just done that myself so you can schedule early.
  • manley
    manley Posts: 54
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thanks for your comment Colin,
    I'd read it different which Sky checked the website whilst I was on the phone and read it the same way I did, which lead him to say the website was wrong and needs investigating
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    That would not be the norm a get out of £25 to end a contract that may have 11 months to run .
  • manley
    manley Posts: 54
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    That would not be the norm a get out of £25 to end a contract that may have 11 months to run .

It says a percentage from the last 3 months of the contract
  • manley wrote: »
    I'd read it different which Sky checked the website whilst I was on the phone and read it the same way I did, which lead him to say the website was wrong and needs investigating

Either they read it wrong too or they were just trying to get you off the phone I'm afraid. There is only one way to read that, you do have to read all of it mind and not cherry pick certain sentences.
  • manley wrote: »

I did the same thing this evening as well! Seems the only way to end a contract is not pay (risk a default) or die!
  • I did the same thing this evening as well! Seems the only way to end a contract is not pay (risk a default) or die!

Be assured that not paying is not a risk, it's an absolute certainty that it will be chased up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure