How to cancel gym contracts - please feedback your experiences

13»

Comments

• I joined a local gym that uses Ashbourne management services for all their gym contracts.
    I signed the paperwork which did not commit me to a minimum membership - the space for the minimum number of months was left blank. I signed and the gym employee signed and I was given a carbon copy.
    I now want to cancel and ashbourne services are telling me that on the paperwork they have (they are sending me a copy) it is stated that I must fulfil 12 months minimum. The gym employee must have written this on after I signed.
    They are saying I must sort it out with the gym but my contract is with ashbourne services - what do I do?
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    katuk76 wrote: »
    I joined a local gym that uses Ashbourne management services for all their gym contracts.
    I signed the paperwork which did not commit me to a minimum membership - the space for the minimum number of months was left blank. I signed and the gym employee signed and I was given a carbon copy.
    I now want to cancel and ashbourne services are telling me that on the paperwork they have (they are sending me a copy) it is stated that I must fulfil 12 months minimum. The gym employee must have written this on after I signed.
    They are saying I must sort it out with the gym but my contract is with ashbourne services - what do I do?
    Well if your saying they faked your signature that's fraud straight up.

I'd initially contact the manager, explain where your at and that a signature was added by them but it was not your signature, then go to the CAB to get legal advice and let the gym know that you will be taking legal action against them which can be done. If they try to enforce what is a fraudulent contract. If they want to pursue it let them, it's not OK for a gym to do this.
  • Hi,

I recently cancelled my gym membership by cancelling the direct debit. It is a membership for Gateshead Council (my local authority) gyms.

I then received a letter from a company called DFC - Bespoke Direct Debit Services stating I had now incurred a £10 late payment fee if I wished to continue - I don't.

The letter also stated that if it is my intention to cancel they require 1 month's notice as stipulated in original paperwork , which I don't have and could honestly say I've never seen.

Is it worth fighting this or should I pay the 1 months notice and the previous month's unpaid amount.

Any ideas would be greatly received.

:mad::mad::mad:

Cheers
  • I used to have a gym membership with Fitness First. Typically, I barely used it, so decided to cancel. I got some really good advice about the best way to do this which came in very handy, so I will share it here. I had to give one months notice, so I sent them a letter by recorded delivery stating my intention to terminate the contract and that I would cancel my direct debit after the next month's payment. No response from them. After the final payment I then cancelled the direct debit, and sent them another letter by recorded post informing them that I had done so and had terminated their contact. No response from them until a month later, when I got a letter from them telling me I owed them money. I was kind of expecting this, so phoned them up and told them how I had written and given them notice on two occasions. We never received the letters, they said. Oh really?, I said, I sent them by recorded post and I have the reference numbers here, would you like to check? A pause, and then the lady came back telling me she had made a mistake, and of course they had received the letters and I didn't owe them anything, she would amend the file :D. Bunch of scammers.

This was back c.2007 and it might be different now, but my tip is to be very clear in your intentions to terminate, do it with good notice, and do it in writing by recorded post.
  • Yup_pay
    Yup_pay Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 July 2015 at 6:38PM
    My wife has used the local Virgin active gym three times in the last nine months, the last time being January. I had a year contract, happy to commit, but made it clear my wife was NOT programmed for gyms, so a monthly contract was what she wanted. We signed the paperwork. We cancelled my wife's membership for August 2015. We received a chaser from VirginActive London head office who insisted we must re-establish the direct debit or go into the local VA gym and pay August's subscription. Head Office wasn't interested in context and background. I was unimpressed. They conned us. We will pay the final sum. The cost to Virgin Active is my membership. I will close it now. So, for not playing to the spirit of my wife's original commitment VA has lost my membership money now - at least for the next 5plus years. I was rude to the London VA service desk operative and am regretful, but VA has lost its spirit since Mr Branson left. My recommendation to anyone thinking of joining VA is to make sure you will use the gym, they will not check to see that you are, and will gratuitously take your money.
  • I cancelled my membership 14/10/16 before the monthly cut-off date but a further direct debit has been taken out of my account on 1/11/16 so it doesn't look like anything has changed in the past 4.5 years.
  • I have been trying to cancel my membership with 1Life since November, we are now in February and it has still not been cancelled and I am still expected to pay monthly.

If you are looking to take out a membership with anyone I would 100% recommend against going with 1Life.

Only bed experiences with the staff since the beginning.
  • shalton
    shalton Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just been threatened with a debt collection agency by ALL SEASONS LEISURE CENTRE IN CHORLEY if I do not pay for 30 days notice of cancelling my 5 year olds swimming lessons. She referred me to my paperwork, WHICH THEY HAVE NEVER GIVEN US. When we first started I asked for a receipt, as we paid over the phone, no receipt was ever given.
    I suffer from chronic back pain which worsens when put into stressful situations, So I am absolutely disgraced at their threatening behaviour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure