Virgin Media Capacity Zone 3 London

bahmed79
bahmed79 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 15 February 2019 at 4:53PM in Broadband & internet access
Hi all

Really hoping someone here can help me because I'm feeling pretty frustrated! My husband and I have just moved into (last week) a terraced house maisonette in Wandsworth. We were told that our landlords, who left a couple of days before we moved in, were connected to Virgin Media.

However, since attempting to get ourselves connected, the online postcode checker on the Virgin Media site says that there is no cable in the area and when I called, I was informed that there is a capacity issue in the area and they are unable to connect us at this time. This is despite the fact that almost every other house on our street appears to be connected given the number of VM wifi options come up when you search for wifi on any device!

I've tried everything including raising an issue with their engineers and have gotten a variety of possible next steps, from one person saying they will get back in touch with an update in 48 hours (they didn't), to another saying it could take up to two months (!!!) and today being told that it takes between 7-10 working days and usually resolved within that time. As you can imagine, I'm not convinced if I believe any of them.

This is all further complicated by the fact that Openreach, who are responsible for the cable service for all the other providers including BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc, apparently don't have cable in the area either (how is this even possible in 2019 in zone 3 London?) and so all other ISPs would have to put in a phone line for the broadband so installation and engineer costs to add to the service costs. And I would go ahead but I'm also told that the maximum speed they would offer is 3.5mb, and in fact the guaranteed speed somewhere around 1mb. Again, I'm almost numb with shock that this is the best they can do in a heavily populated area full of professionals and families who clearly need good broadband services.

To complicate matters further, I'm self employed and work at home. I have a mobile contract with EE but their phone and data service is so poor in the house that if I move, I get disconnected.

Basically, I would be laughing if I didn't feel like crying. Help! Anyone? Beuller? lol

Thanks!

Comments

• Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Virgin will enable services at your property if they have capacity (i.e. Spare lines etc). If they do not then go with another provider.

Really you should have checked this before moving.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you check out speed for mobile data on three?
  • bahmed79 wrote: »
    To complicate matters further, I'm self employed and work at home.
    So you wouldn't be going with a cheap as chips domestic provider like VM, Sky, BT, Talk Talk etc if your livelihood depends on your internet connection, would you?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cisco001 wrote: »

This is the route I would go down. Mifi and three unlimited sim for £20 pm, could be well faster than the 3.5mbps BB connection from BT too- and a lot cheaper.
  • Exemplar wrote: »
    Virgin will enable services at your property if they have capacity (i.e. Spare lines etc). If they do not then go with another provider.

Really you should have checked this before moving.

Thank you. Didn't realise it would be an issue as the landlords had said that they were on virgin fibre broadband. It's the first time I've had to move house in over 10 years and I hold my hand up to not being nearly as prepared as I clearly should have been. Will go with one of the others if no response from Virgin by next week.
  • Cisco001 wrote: »
    This is the route I would go down. Mifi and three unlimited sim for £20 pm, could be well faster than the 3.5mbps BB connection from BT too- and a lot cheaper.

Thank you! Actually, my brother is with Three and visiting at the weekend so will check what his data/call service are like in the house!
  • So you wouldn't be going with a cheap as chips domestic provider like VM, Sky, BT, Talk Talk etc if your livelihood depends on your internet connection, would you?

I'm self employed and trying to manage costs as best as I can. Business broadband is an option but I've never had to go that route before and so was hoping to avoid it this time too...
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    bahmed79 wrote: »
    I'm self employed and trying to manage costs as best as I can.

Some economies are worthwhile, however, if being online is so important to your business, it should have been a higher priority to you.

Virgin made it clear that new connections are unavailable at your address. If there's a high demand in the area I suspect the landlord's connection was re-allocated as soon as it became available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure