Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 12th Feb 19, 9:18 AM
    • 2,569Posts
    • 3,028Thanks
    Froglet
    Windows 10 computer.Now old printer won't work.Ideas?
    • 12th Feb 19, 9:18 AM
    Windows 10 computer.Now old printer won't work.Ideas? 12th Feb 19 at 9:18 AM
    Just got a ,previously used,windows 10 computer.It looks like my faithful Lexmark printer Z735,which only has one cartridge and is just a printer ,doesn't have drivers for it that i can search for.Is there any way round it,or do i just give up and get a new one ?I see the new ones are all in one printers,which i don't really need,again,any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Page 3
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 14th Feb 19, 12:22 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    Once you have ascertained which, either download;

32 bit Vista Driver

or

64 bit Vista Driver

according to whatever you have installed now. Choose to Save the file.

Then go to Device Manager(Ctrl + X, then choose Device Manager), find the Printer name within the list, right click on it and choose Un-install Device. Go forward with this, also confirming that you want to remove any associated Driver package. Do not reboot at this stage.

Next, unplug the Printer's USB cable from the PC and go on to un-install all existing Lexmark software from the computer via Control Panel > Programs.

Once complete, you can reboot the PC and go on to install the appropriate Vista Driver via Compatibility Mode as shown earlier.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere

IT'S WORKED !!!!

Thank you so so much.Can't quite believe it,but with your help,and other's suggestions,I've got there.Old Mr Faithful is back in business!!
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 14th Feb 19, 12:30 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    Slim chance - try Vista64bit driver here
    http://www.siliconguide.com/drivers/device/226/
    Connect printer to computer with USB lead when requested.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    You were right,I just didn't know how to do it,so big thanks to you too.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 15th Feb 19, 4:56 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    IT'S WORKED !!!!

Thank you so so much.Can't quite believe it,but with your help,and other's suggestions,I've got there.Old Mr Faithful is back in business!!
    Originally posted by Froglet
    Good news
    Sorry about the links, I can see they don't work when linking directly to them.
    If perchance the next major Windows 10 Update removes your efforts and it stops working, simply repeat the process again.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 15th Feb 19, 7:29 AM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    Good news
    Sorry about the links, I can see they don't work when linking directly to them.
    If perchance the next major Windows 10 Update removes your efforts and it stops working, simply repeat the process again.
    Oh I hope it doesn't,with my memory these days I'll have forgotten how.But I have saved the file so should be easier next time!

Thanks again,I'm so chuffed to have it working again,as I'm still getting used to the new computer and Windows 10.

a
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 15th Feb 19, 10:11 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Oh I hope it doesn't,with my memory these days I'll have forgotten how.But I have saved the file so should be easier next time!

Thanks again,I'm so chuffed to have it working again,as I'm still getting used to the new computer and Windows 10.

a
    Originally posted by Froglet
    Copy and Paste my guide into a text document and create a folder, with the name of your Printer. Pop both the Vista 64 bit Driver file and the text document into the folder and keep it on the Desktop or in your Documents folder.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 15th Feb 19, 10:28 AM
    • 707 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    Chino
    Copy and Paste my guide into a text document
    If the OP does this the OP might want to change the reference to the key combination "Ctrl + X" in the guide to "Windows logo key + X".
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 15th Feb 19, 11:15 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Done.

New version

Once you have ascertained which, either download;

http://downloads.lexmark.com/downloads/cpd/cjr730EN.exe for 32 bit

http://downloads.lexmark.com/downloads/cpd/cjs730EN.exe for 64 bit

Choose to Save the file.

Then go to Device Manager(Flying Windows key + X, then choose Device Manager), find the Printer name within the list, right click on it and choose Un-install Device. Go forward with this, also confirming that you want to remove any associated Driver package. Do not reboot at this stage.

Next, unplug the Printer's USB cable from the PC and go on to un-install all existing Lexmark software from the computer via Control Panel > Programs.

Once complete, you can reboot the PC and go on to install the appropriate Vista Driver via Compatibility Mode as shown earlier.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 15th Feb 19, 11:24 AM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    Thank you,I will do as you suggested.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 15th Feb 19, 11:26 AM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    Froglet
    If the OP does this the OP might want to change the reference to the key combination "Ctrl + X" in the guide to "Windows logo key + X".
    Originally posted by Chino
    Thank you for that,the more simple the process,the better!
    • Chino
    • By Chino 15th Feb 19, 12:05 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    Chino
    Flying Windows key + X, then choose Device Manager
    In what sense does the "Windows" key on a keyboard appear to be "flying"? The image on the key is just a representation of the Microsoft Windows logo. Perhaps your keyboard has more than one Windows key and this is your way of distinguishing between them.
    Last edited by Chino; 15-02-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 15th Feb 19, 1:18 PM
    • 7,741 Posts
    • 3,180 Thanks
    almillar
    In what sense does the "Windows" key on a keyboard appear to be "flying"? The image on the key is just a representation of the Microsoft Windows logo. Perhaps your keyboard has more than one Windows key and this is your way of distinguishing between them.
    It has changed around Windows 8 time I think. There will be plenty of keyboards out there with the older Windows logo, a square with a cross inside, 'waving' like a flag in the wind, or 'flying'. Indeed, there was a flying windows screensaver. Looking down at my keyboard now, it's the newer logo, which is just a simplified rhombus with the cross inside.
    Just call it 'The Windows Key'.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 15th Feb 19, 1:59 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Originally posted by Chino

The laptop I'm using has the Flying Windows logo....

Some with newer devices will have static Windows.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 15th Feb 19, 3:08 PM
    • 8,915 Posts
    • 6,714 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    You can export working drivers too https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dism/export-windowsdriver?view=win10-ps
    Saves time
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,589Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

• Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v? https://t.co/FJchchPk0o

• If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi? https://t.co/N61QGBOJ6b

• Follow Martin