Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ententecordiale
    • By ententecordiale 1st Feb 19, 10:58 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 15Thanks
    ententecordiale
    Looks like it's my turn
    • 1st Feb 19, 10:58 PM
    Looks like it's my turn 1st Feb 19 at 10:58 PM
    Hi All

I was told yesterday that my job was at risk. I was told that my boss wanted to speak to me privately one hour before the call but he wouldn't disclose the reason for the call.

I've been informed by mailed today that I will have another call next week to discuss further.

I have every expectation that I will be made redundant and this is just a box checking exercise.

I have been with the company for around 17yrs or 12yrs if they honour continuity of service when the company was taken over in 2007.

I am nearly 52 and I am trying to calculate the redundancy. On one website it mentions notice of 12 weeks for 12 years service.

Does that mean 3months notice +redundancy pay or is the 3months the redundancy pay?

Appreciate any input as it is all new to me

Thanks all
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 2nd Feb 19, 12:53 AM
    • 6,709 Posts
    • 7,335 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 2nd Feb 19, 12:53 AM
    • 2nd Feb 19, 12:53 AM
    Hi All

I was told yesterday that my job was at risk. I was told that my boss wanted to speak to me privately one hour before the call but he wouldn't disclose the reason for the call.

I've been informed by mailed today that I will have another call next week to discuss further.

I have every expectation that I will be made redundant and this is just a box checking exercise.

I have been with the company for around 17yrs or 12yrs if they honour continuity of service when the company was taken over in 2007.

I am nearly 52 and I am trying to calculate the redundancy. On one website it mentions notice of 12 weeks for 12 years service.

Does that mean 3months notice +redundancy pay or is the 3months the redundancy pay?

Appreciate any input as it is all new to me

Thanks all
    Originally posted by ententecordiale
    Sorry to hear this.

As you have worked there at least twelve years you are entitled to be goven a minimum of twelve weeks notice to leave (or payment in lieu of notice (PILON) ).

In addition, statutory redundancy payment is a week for every full year you've worked where you were aged between 22 and 41, and a week and a half pay for every full years service when you were aged over 41, up to a maximum of 20 years service.

Currently the weekly figure to be used is capped at 508 if higher, but this will likely rise slightly if your final working day is after 5/4/19.

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/redundancy-pay

Bear in mind these are the statutory (minimum) figures- your employer may offer more, so it;s worth checking your employment contract, and also confirming the continuity of service.

Redundancy is paid free of tax & NI up to 30k, but PILON is usually taxed as salary.
    • ententecordiale
    • By ententecordiale 2nd Feb 19, 9:03 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ententecordiale
    • 2nd Feb 19, 9:03 AM
    • 2nd Feb 19, 9:03 AM
    Thanks p00sticks for taking the time to reply.

It's not been a great 6months as my mam passed unexpectedly and this came out if the blue but I'm determined to not let this drag me down

Always grateful that people on here help people
    • happyc84
    • By happyc84 3rd Feb 19, 5:12 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    happyc84
    • 3rd Feb 19, 5:12 PM
    • 3rd Feb 19, 5:12 PM
    sorry to hear about the impending redundancy, the company will outline the reasons why you are at risk, you have the right to be accompanied to the meeting, If you are in a union ask the trade union rep for support. If the company are not following the government advice look up on Gov. employment website, you may have a case at an employment tribunal.

Good luck in this difficult time, try to look at the long term options, a good payoff and retraining can help. Been down this route twice, not easy but it can force a change in direction.
    • ententecordiale
    • By ententecordiale 4th Feb 19, 6:37 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ententecordiale
    • 4th Feb 19, 6:37 PM
    • 4th Feb 19, 6:37 PM
    Thanks Happyc84, for replying. Appreciate your advice and positive response
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 4th Feb 19, 9:05 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 1,762 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 4th Feb 19, 9:05 PM
    • 4th Feb 19, 9:05 PM
    If you are on three month's notice, then your Pay in Lieu of Notice will be for three months, unless they want you to work any time after they give you confirmation that you are to be made redundant. They might ask you to work a month after giving you notice of your redundancy and give you two month PILON to make up the three months notice.

If you expect to be job hunting after your redundancy, there is no point starting to look for a job until you are about a month away from actually finishing. No employer will wait more than a few weeks unless you have a unique set of skills.

Work are obliged to give you reasonable time off for job hunting.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • ententecordiale
    • By ententecordiale 7th Feb 19, 6:57 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ententecordiale
    • 7th Feb 19, 6:57 AM
    • 7th Feb 19, 6:57 AM
    Thanks Tacpot12, I am having a consultation today
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 8th Feb 19, 6:22 PM
    • 17,634 Posts
    • 39,271 Thanks
    Masomnia
    • 8th Feb 19, 6:22 PM
    • 8th Feb 19, 6:22 PM
    Sorry to nit-pick.

Currently the weekly figure to be used is capped at 508 if higher, but this will likely rise slightly if your final working day is after 5/4/19.
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    The calculation is based on the 'relevant date', which is the date that notice would expire even if notice isn't worked. So if OP is made redundant today then the calculation for length of service and age will be based on 12 weeks from now (or longer if contractual notice is longer), and that includes the cap as well so if that goes up it will be based on the higher figure.

Redundancy is paid free of tax & NI up to 30k, but PILON is usually taxed as salary.
    PILON is always taxable now.

Hope the meeting went ok today OP.
    I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. - P.G. Wodehouse
    • YBR
    • By YBR 8th Feb 19, 6:45 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    YBR
    • 8th Feb 19, 6:45 PM
    • 8th Feb 19, 6:45 PM
    "If you expect to be job hunting after your redundancy, there is no point starting to look for a job until you are about a month away from actually finishing. No employer will wait more than a few weeks unless you have a unique set of skills."

This may be incorrect depending on your industry. Where 3 months or more notice is usual, employers do expect to wait that long, plus PILON usually leaves you free to start a new job as soon as you leave.
    • ententecordiale
    • By ententecordiale 9th Feb 19, 7:48 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ententecordiale
    Thank Masomnia,

It went pretty much as expected. They offered the suggestion of looking for roles in different regions, specifically outside of Europe. I asked if they meant UK ��

The real viable offer is redundancy and this would be 11 weeks at government rate

They have given me time to think about it further but I anticipate it will be wrapped up quickly.

I am just looking at things now so fingers crossed

Cheers everyone for replying
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Feb 19, 9:36 AM
    • 34,750 Posts
    • 21,200 Thanks
    getmore4less

How have they got 11 weeks?

need start date and birthday to work it out properly.

Given the base starting of 12 or 17 years service(take over should give continuity) and 52.

For the 17 years service you will be due 17weeks + 10 1/2 weeks for full years over 41.

might be 11 1/2 weeks if the 52 clock up soon

That's on top of the 12weeks notice.
    • PierremontQuaker03
    • By PierremontQuaker03 9th Feb 19, 4:18 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    PierremontQuaker03
    Are they asking you to sign a settlement agreement? I would check everything out with a local employment solicitor just to make sure they are not cutting any corners. I am going thru redundancy at the moment, but they paid the fees so I could go to the Solicitor to check that everything was above board before I signed it. My redundancy was expected so it didnt come as a shock to me, I had been there 10.5 years so it is going to be a big change to the routine, but I have managed to get a job, the proposed new job is not ideal but its a foot in the door somewhere new.
    • ententecordiale
    • By ententecordiale 9th Feb 19, 7:38 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ententecordiale
    Hi Getmore4less,

My DoB is 29.03.67 and the 2007 date was sept. I have to dig out the date I started originally as I think it may have been 2003 and not 2002.

They offered 11 weeks redundancy and 11 weeks notice

They will come back to me about pilon and continuous service

Thanks
    • ententecordiale
    • By ententecordiale 9th Feb 19, 7:45 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ententecordiale
    Hi, no settlement agreement so far. They mailed me the previous week to have a call (no warning about content)

Told I was at risk then followed up the next day with a letter. The last part was to arrange the second call for last Thursday.

On that call is where they outline options.

Redundancy
    Relocation to outside EU if there were jobs

I'm waiting for them to get back in touch

Cheers
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Feb 19, 9:06 PM
    • 34,750 Posts
    • 21,200 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Definitely another birthday so that's another 1/2 week with 11 weeks notice.

Continuity should apply on a takeover..
    • ententecordiale
    • By ententecordiale 10th Feb 19, 3:35 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ententecordiale
    Hi PierremontQuaker03

Hope everything works out well for you

Cheers
    • ententecordiale
    • By ententecordiale 11th Feb 19, 8:14 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ententecordiale
    Hi all,

Just a quick update.

I was told today about 3 possible vacancies

One was subject to contract being won but half my salary

Second other side of world but no details available about salary and conditions

Third was less than 40% of current salary and I had to register interest by end of week as they will select candidate on Friday

Redundancy would be as previously outlined but no lieu of notice

They want to review again this week what I think

Cheers
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 12th Feb 19, 6:59 AM
    • 34,750 Posts
    • 21,200 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Have they clarified the package yet

Are they going to want you to work your 12 weeks notice?
    • ententecordiale
    • By ententecordiale 12th Feb 19, 8:45 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ententecordiale
    Hi Getmore4less

They have offered

11 weeks redundancy at government rate based on 10 weeks at 1.5 times rate and one week at 508.

This is from September 2007 and with me being currently 51. I noted your point about me being 52 in march

11 weeks notice and they have said payment in lieu isn't offered after I asked for it

I have to arrange another call to discuss

Cheers
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Feb 19, 11:54 AM
    • 34,750 Posts
    • 21,200 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I would push on the continuity of service at the take over.

You might need to provide more details like the type of take over

If you just carried on working with a change of who paid you that looks like continuity to me

Was TUPE ever mentioned?

Notice is based on service at the time of notice.

Redundancy is based on the date of termination(but can be later with PILON)

the 1/2 years are full years over 41

I got it wrong before 52 is 10 years over 41.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,751Posts Today

8,807Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

• Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v? https://t.co/FJchchPk0o

• If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi? https://t.co/N61QGBOJ6b

• Follow Martin