Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rosey49
    • By Rosey49 12th Feb 19, 2:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rosey49
    Electricity Fuse Upgrade to 100 amps
    • 12th Feb 19, 2:25 PM
    Electricity Fuse Upgrade to 100 amps 12th Feb 19 at 2:25 PM
    Hi,

I have just ordered an electric car, and have been advised by the company that will be installing the wall charging box that I need to upgrade my fuse capacity to 100amps. I have contacted the distributor for my area (SSEN) and they are sending me a quote within 5 days.

But in the meantime, I would really like to know how much I can expect to have to pay for it, as i have no idea, and they couldn't give me a rough price over the phone.

Has anyone had to do this recently? If so, how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Page 1
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 12th Feb 19, 4:06 PM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:06 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 4:06 PM
    Sorry, mis-read original post.
    Last edited by teneighty; 12-02-2019 at 4:09 PM.
    • MisterP123
    • By MisterP123 12th Feb 19, 5:07 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    MisterP123
    • 12th Feb 19, 5:07 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 5:07 PM
    If nothing else is required they might do it FoC.

How old is the house? Did they say what size fuse is currently fitted?
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 12th Feb 19, 9:18 PM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 1,461 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 12th Feb 19, 9:18 PM
    • 12th Feb 19, 9:18 PM
    I've just had this done. The fuse upgrade is free of charge but the electricity board (or whatever they are called these days) won't do it unless you've got 25 sq mm (cross section not diameter) tails from the fuse to the meter (your suppliers responsibility) and from the meter to the consumer unit (you/your electricians responsibility).

I rang my current electricity supply and the quoted 70 for the work. They reminded me if I wasn't in and missed the appointment, I would still have to pay. Twice they failed to turn up for their own appointments but third time lucky and I reminded them of their own rules and refused to pay. Apart from my own electrical work downstream of the meter (reason for upgrade), there was no cost.
    Compensation/Refunds - 4,655 | Stooz Profits - 7,636 | Quidco - 4,060 | Tax Avoidance - 107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,751Posts Today

8,807Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

• Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v? https://t.co/FJchchPk0o

• If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi? https://t.co/N61QGBOJ6b

• Follow Martin