Watchman Sonic meter location on tank

Options
Hi,

apologies if this has been asked before.

I have recently moved into a property which has oil heating. I have purchased and fitted a Watchman Sonic device to insert on my tank, but the reader is saying that the tank is empty with one bar, I have used a long stick and measured 11 inches of oil left on the tank.

the metre is currently fitted on a predrilled hole at the edge of the tank.... does the metre need to be in the middle to get a accurate reading?

Also..... can someone tell me when would be a good time to fill the tank back up? I have currently 11 inches of oil left in a 1200 litre tank. I am thinking about leaving it to 6 inches and then request a order for 500 litres . we ordered 750 litres back in October 2018 which seems to be going well.

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The sensor should be in the middle to get the most accurate reading - however, if that's where the current hole is, then I really wouldn't go drilling any additional holes in your tank. The reading is probably about right, to be honest - they are, at best, a rough guide as to how much is left. When my Watchman gave up the ghost several years ago, I didn't bother replacing it - just dip the tank every so often with a cheap 'n' cheerful garden cane. Much cheaper, and just as accurate - probably more so. All you need to know is, "is the tank half full, three quarters full, one tenth full", etc. If you want to be really flash, you can make notches in the cane to indicate "tenths full". But it's easy enough to gauge by sight.

When you fill up depends entirely on your usage. As a very rough rule of thumb, I tend to order when I've got about 6 inches or so left. You just need to bear in mind how long delivery will take from when you order. Round me, most companies deliver within a couple of days, but it depends a lot on the current demand, and where you are.

A couple of things to bear in mind when you order. Firstly, you'll often get a cheaper price per litre if you order 900 litres or more. Each company will have their own "cut-off point", but 900 litres seems to be the norm round here. Secondly, the oil price will change on a daily basis. So if you're in no particular rush, it can be worth phoning up some companies, then trying again in a couple of days, see what the price is doing. The BoilerJuice website can be useful to get a rough ballpark figure of the going rate, though I've never yet found them to be the cheapest.

Always ring around half a dozen local companies. The cheapest company one time will often not be the cheapest next time you order. Most will be prepared to haggle, and price-match to a certain extent against their competitors. Finally, don't sign up for one of these direct-debit "auto top-up" schemes. Most companies offer them, but they'll usually make a delivery when it's convenient for them, and when the price is highest. Far better to put money aside each month yourself, then just ring around and get the best price whenever you need to fill up.

Hope this helps :-)
  • smallblueplanet
    smallblueplanet Posts: 1,109 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 February 2019 at 10:32AM
    Options
    ...I have purchased and fitted a Watchman Sonic device to insert on my tank, but the reader is saying that the tank is empty with one bar, I have used a long stick and measured 11 inches of oil left on the tank...

Also..... can someone tell me when would be a good time to fill the tank back up? I have currently 11 inches of oil left in a 1200 litre tank. I am thinking about leaving it to 6 inches and then request a order for 500 litres . we ordered 750 litres back in October 2018 which seems to be going well.

Can you adjust the 'height' of the sonic device? On our Apollo oil moniter there's switches on the plugin bit that are altered depending on the height of the sonic device on the tank.

As for ordering oil, do it when you think it's cheapest or when you need it. Not being facetious. But don't let it run out as that can cause problems with the boiler.

Try ringing around for quotes - I use Boilerjuice's (an online broker) quote as a yardstick. Although round where we are the locals can't/won't get near Boilerjuices price, even though it's sometimes them that deliver the oil!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

personally, I would not like getting that low (although the shape of the tank may be that it's not that low for yours). Especially this time of the year. All it takes is a prolonged spell of icy weather and your usage will go up and the oil deliveries will be delayed because everyone else cutting it fine wants a delivery and then the oil lorry cant get about because of the snow/ice.....

We have an Apollo meter and I order 700 litres when its down to bar 4 (4/10ths). That is just under half tank bringing it back to full.

Your usage will also play a part on how much and when you order. We go through about 500 litres a month at this time of the year. Some people use that in a year. So, the amount they order and how low they let it go will vary. Until you know your usage confidently, play it safe and keep it topped up. Your use appears to be quite low.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Without details of the tank brand/model no-one can (guess)timate the quantity of oil left in your tank currently... based on the measurement you have taken 11 inches (275mm?)

A low profile tank may only be some 925mm high, cf a slimline at 1400mm (so nearly 30% full cf 20% full). You'll need to do the math on your own tank's dimensions.

1 bar on the Watchman on a 1200l tank to me means between 120 and 240 litres probably... based on it just starting to indicate 1 when the level is between 1-2.

I'd be ordering oil asap as it is still cold. Even if only 500 litres if prices are high at the moment and money is tight?

This time last year I ordered 1000 litres when my Watchman dropped to 2 bars on my bunded 1225 litre Titan tank.
  • FishThrower
    FishThrower Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2019 at 5:03PM
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies all.

I will order some oil in the next couple of weeks, the company i got it from before delivered it the next day without any extra cost, transport routes are good in the village where i live as its just off the A1

FYI, I also have a Titan V1300TT tank

Thanks again for the replies.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Options
    FYI, I also have a Titan V1300TT tank

That is a horizontal tank. These are not quite as easy to monitor as vertical tanks. Vertical tanks make monitoring easy as 1/0th is going to be largely the same whether its at the top, bottom or middle.

Horizontal tanks are at their widest in the middle. On a sonic meter with a full tank, you would expect to see quicker movement at the start and end with less movement in the middle where it widest.

If it was me, I would be ordering now as you appear to be getting very low. 11 inches in 29cm. The tank is 114cm high. That is below halfway with an increasingly diminishing surface area. 1 bar on the watchman sounds about right. I wouldn't be risking it this time of the year.
    I will order some oil in the next couple of weeks, the company i got it from before delivered it the next day without any extra cost, transport routes are good in the village where i live as its just off the A1

Mine normally does next day but that's only because I am a couple of miles from them. However, in cold times, orders can take a week or 2.

Until you learn your usage and your tank, dont take chances. You dont want to run dry as that is a call out for a heating engineer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2019 at 11:35PM
    Options
    You'll soon get the hang of what the reading actually means in terms of what is left in the tank.

These electronic gadgets (I have one too) are a good guide - but just a guide! I too use a garden cane and have painted on marks for full, half-full, quarter, and the bottom eigth and sixtenth. Much more accurate!

I agree boilerjuice is a quick tool for seeing what prices are doing, but it's never the cheapest. Ring round companies or look for a local buying group. Though even the buying groups vary so still shop around!

Don't believe in loyalty. Cheapest this time will not be cheapest next time.

Never sign up to a Direct Debit automatic top-up monitoring scheme........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure