Cats : Excessive licking

Options
Our middle cat (asleep on my lap whilst I type) is just about to turn 3. She has recently started excessively licking and cleaning herself and appears quite stressed at sudden points in the day. There is no definitive reason why she does it and it can last up to 5 minutes where she doesn't like anyone to touch her (She usually is reasonably affectionate).

One possible cause might be that she has been fighting with her little brother (same parents later litter) as I've seen her licking herself and appearing quite stressed after 'playing

Is this just a little high spirits? Both cats are Burmese if that affects things?
May you find your sister soon Helli.
Sleep well.

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2019 at 6:20AM
    Options
    Welcome to MSE. :)

Cats are really good at disguising what is really going on, so don't worry if you cannot work out patterns or links. Any unusual or worrying behaviour warrants a check up with your veterinarian. Everything you mention could be linked to stress, to pain or another physical health issue. A good vet won't turn a hair however vague you are about the problem.

Playing, fighting and bullying are similar but different. Try to get all their stalking or ambushing energy out constructively on toys not on one another. Really vigorous play sessions with 'prey' like toys (eg. flapping feathers/ rodents/ insects on wands). In and out of rooms, up and down on furniture to wear them out, as well as slow twitching movements IYSWIM.

The Purrsinourhearts shop has the best selection of 'prey' toys in the UK by miles. All profits are to cat rescue too, Tan the lovely lady who runs the shop is not paid. :A

My Lulu highly recommends a Purrs valerian infused furry rodent. Similar effect to catnip, but works on cats who don't respond to catnip. Might help restore happiness and harmony?

Two Purrs orders ago she raided the delivery bag for the one furry toy with valerian in. It can be at the bottom of a box of paperwork and still get dug out .... months on. :p

:shhh: Lulu doesn't know about my last Purrs order, which has been stashed unopened in my store room. :shhh: Several new valerian toys.

HTH!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Fire Fox. We do have a dangly toy on a line that our youngest has nearly destroyed since Christmas.

Our oldest one does enjoy stalking our large rat toys in the middle of the night. Catnip may not be the best idea it sends the Burmese bananas but mellow our tortoise shell right out.
    Sleep well.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Go to your vet. They will check for things like skin mites and nerve sensitivity.

Keep a written diary of exactly when she reacts badly and how. See if you can spot a pattern, not only with the other cats, but what you do as well.

What is she eating? Has anything changed? Some cats are sensitive to grain, soya and sugars. Try switching to a quality food and kibble that contain no nasty fillers.

What is in your home? Scented candles or air freshener? Different washing powder/conditioner on your clothes and fabrics? Cats can be just as sensitive to environmental chemicals as humans.
  • TripleH
    Options
    The food is IAMS / John Welbeloved (prob completely wrong on that name) or of that type. All 3 cats eat the same food so I don't think that could be It? We have grumpy old cat food (For our 14yr Tortoise shell) and diet food, the other two are 3yrs (cat with excess licking) and 2yrs and both Burmese.

All 3 are indoor now (or confined to large balcony) and the only thing different I can think of is that we put vinegar in with the fabric conditioner when washing but nothing else (inc. Brand and fabric conditioner scent have changed).

Cheers
    Sleep well.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Our cat was pulling fur out above the base of her tail. Vet thought she may be allergic to something and we tried lots of different things trying to sort her out.

She's now on a tiny, tiny (0.1ml) dose of steroid every second day in her food and it keeps it under control.

She had a bald patch when we first got her from the RSPCA but that was put down to stress, I think it's more likely it was this allergic condition.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• WeggieUK
    Options
    Excessive licking is a sign of stress. Does she have a safe place to get away from the other cats? You can try things like feeding her separately, Feliway, etc, to reduce anxiety.
  • TripleH
    Options
    WeggieUK, you are probably are right. She is very good at finding spaces away from the other cats. The older cat is too old, grumpy and lazy to jump up into her spaces. I think it is probably her brother who is almost as good at jumping who stresses her out playing the annoying little brother.
    Sleep well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family