Holiday booked before redundancy

Hi,

My partner just received a warning of redundancy letter,

However months ago, she got 2 weeks of holiday approved and already booked the whole trip.
She has not yet "accrued" the whole 2 weeks this year.
This trip / holiday would most likely take place during the notice period if redundancy is confirmed.

How do things work in this situation:
- Can she still go on holiday? (can the employer refuse, even so they approved the holiday before?)
- Would any holiday that has not been accrued be taken out of her "redundancy pay"?

Thanks by advance

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yes to all three.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Yes is the wrong answer.

Every question is subject to contract.

What does the contract say.
  • Depending on the employer they might waive the holiday pay owed, however with this situations companies tend to do thing by the book. Depending on the situation I would try and negotiate a retention bonus, or transfer of knowledge bonus, which would more than cover the loss in holiday pay - but it depends if your role is being replaced elsewhere within the organisation.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, she can take the holiday, unless the employer rescids their consent.

Yes, the employer can cancel the holiay, provided that theygive the appropriate notice. However, it's probably fairly unlikely that they will want to, as it would be less expensive for them to let her go, rather than pay her for holiday acccrued ut not taken.

Yes, if she has taken more time off than she has accrued when she leaves then the difference can be deducted from her fainal salary. It's possible that they might chose not to do so, but she shouldn't count on that happening.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure