Tupe? No so long sucker

Options
Hi
I wonder if someone could please give advice on my current situation, are you sitting comfortably? then i shall begin......
In Late November 2017 i was job hunting and speaking to a friend who asked if i'd consider working in the security industry for a company that he worked with, i hadn't but after talking with the company bosses thought it seemed like a good idea and i would give it a go, i was informed that i would need to complete the SIA course of many hundreds of pounds that i didn't have and suggested that if i agreed to work for them for 3 years would they pay for the course etc, which verbally they agreed, but if i left the company of my own accord i would be invoiced for any remaining balance (as i saw it it was a minimum of 3 years guaranteed work for me = result).
I completed the course December '17 and after vetting etc was completed i started working for them at the end of February '18 at a Borough Council site on my 3 month probationary period. April '18 i was given a permanent contract for the site, shortly after my friend left his post for pastures new, the security company was supposed to supply 3 full time members of staff to the site on a rota basis however they were only ever able to fill 2 positions, when my colleague left it was me as permanent security guard and pool staff to cover where possible, which was not always the case and occasionally i would do double shifts(there was also a period where i probably broke every law known to man by working 65 days straight 12-16 hours a day).
The council announced last week that the security company had lost the contract as of 1st April this year and that all security staff across the board working for the council at their sites would Tupe over to them, with no changes to contracts etc etc etc.
Today i found out that the site with which i am currently posted will not have security from 1st April and therefore i would be made redundant, i spoke to my manager who knew nothing of this and said he would speak to HR and get back to me, within a few hours he called me back to confirm yes i was to be made redundant.

My questions are as follows......

1. As i had a verbal agreement which is technically legally binding with my manager to provide 3 years of service to them can i claim 2 years loss of earnings from the council as they have forced termination of this agreement and if so could i also claim for loss of earnings through potential overtime (i know overtime is not guaranteed but based on staffing levels (ME) and the lack of responses in the past for adverts to fill the remaining positions i am still working 5-6 days/nights a week depending on my rota, this equates to 1-2 days overtime a week, guaranteed up until 31st March)?

2. i believe i am right in saying that i should not receive any form of redundancy package as i have only been employed for 1 year but is there anything i can do to "force the councils hand" in paying something to me?

There are probably more questions i should be asking for advice, but as i write this i feel myself getting more and more frustrated so i shall stop for the moment.

Any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 February 2019 at 12:54PM
    Options
    1) No chance! Firstly, a training agreement in itself is not a guarantee of employment. Secondly, you would need to be able to prove any assurances that you claim were given. If these are not in writing then you are scuppered.

2) Correct. You have no redundancy entitlement unless there is a specific term in your contract over and above statutory terms.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure