Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

Comments

• I almost bought an orange-stickered free-range chicken at Lidl (Bournemouth town centre) yesterday morning, but when I got to the till, the member of staff took a good look at it, said it wasn't "on our system" and therefore she couldn't sell it to me.

It was one of three orange-stickered free-range chickens, so I am presuming the other 2 weren't on their "system" either. It's original price was just over £6.

Has anyone else heard this reason for not selling a product at Lidl? (And is it Lidl-speak for "the staff want this"?!)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    LouLander wrote: »
    I almost bought an orange-stickered free-range chicken at Lidl (Bournemouth town centre) yesterday morning, but when I got to the till, the member of staff took a good look at it, said it wasn't "on our system" and therefore she couldn't sell it to me.

It was one of three orange-stickered free-range chickens, so I am presuming the other 2 weren't on their "system" either. It's original price was just over £6.

Has anyone else heard this reason for not selling a product at Lidl? (And is it Lidl-speak for "the staff want this"?!)

Not YS but I tried to buy mouthwash in L's yesterday, "not on system" so maybe there are really computer problems?
    The cashier even typed bar code number in & it just did not show up. I've bought identical product before without problems

Previously I've bought YS FR chicken, went through OK, read bar code & press 30% discount button, which is what I assume your cashier was attempting
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I learned something new this week - Asda does not slice its YS bakery bread. I don't mind (for 20p I think I can manage to slice it myself) but I just thought it was weird.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I learned something new this week - Asda does not slice its YS bakery bread. I don't mind (for 20p I think I can manage to slice it myself) but I just thought it was weird.

I think sainsburys and morrisons will as ive seen customers ask but ive never seen asda do it

it may depend on the store though
    Cosplayer and proud
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 April 2019 at 9:50AM
    Anyone else feel that Sainsbury’s do not reduce their foods in the cold ‘day of expiry’ section enough to encourage a purchase?

So many of the items are only reduced by 20p or at best recently 60p, on items that cost £’s originally so not much saving.

To my my mind, a lot of these are still there at the end of the day and will be dumped!
    I live next door to a big branch and I’m in there all times of the day and evening.

Asda and Morrisons on the other hand really do lower their reduced prices.
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • deborah100
    deborah100 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Our local Sainsbury's is so hit and miss. Some days they have packs of sliced ham down to about 20p and other days there's just nothing there. You see people waiting around the poor staff just trying to sticker the products too and then snap everything up.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Anyone else feel that Sainsbury’s do not reduce their foods in the cold ‘day of expiry’ section enough to encourage a purchase?

So many of the items are only reduced by 20p or at best recently 60p, on items that cost £’s originally so not much saving.

To my my mind, a lot of these are still there at the end of the day and will be dumped!
    I live next door to a big branch and I’m in there all times of the day and evening.

Asda and Morrisons on the other hand really do lower their reduced prices.

Asda near me have been mean with their reductions recently. They used to reduced something which was £2.50 to half price or max £1.55. Now the same item is reduced to £2.15.

Sainsburys near me reduce things by a third initially the day before, or if there are loads of the same item with the same date, 3 days before. Cheese, yoghurt and juice/smoothies - 4 days before.

Then there's the Sainsburys in town which I pop in and the strawberries had 15p knocked off.

It is down to the store management. They forget that when the store closes or at midnight, the unsold reduction food gets disposed at the full retail price, not at the last reduction price!
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Here's a tip you will like to know about. It is useful at any of the supermarkets.

Yes, the time of day affects what they reduce items down by, however one thing they know but won't often tell you - the amount when they are reducing items is also dictated by how many they have left. For example, if they have something with a couple on-day items you might get say 20% off however if they have a dozen of the same item on-day then when they enter the amount in their discount gun it might reduce by say 33%.

It is worth knowing - even worth digging on the shelves to see if there are others so you can say to the assistant "there are 20 here". If you don't then they may only reduce all of them by a smaller amount so you end up paying more!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 May 2019 at 1:37PM
    Bacman wrote: »
    Here's a tip you will like to know about. It is useful at any of the supermarkets.

Yes, the time of day affects what they reduce items down by, however one thing they know but won't often tell you - the amount when they are reducing items is also dictated by how many they have left. For example, if they have something with a couple on-day items you might get say 20% off however if they have a dozen of the same item on-day then when they enter the amount in their discount gun it might reduce by say 33%.

It is worth knowing - even worth digging on the shelves to see if there are others so you can say to the assistant "there are 20 here". If you don't then they may only reduce all of them by a smaller amount so you end up paying more!

They do not enter prices into the "gun" (Hand Held Terminal given it's proper name, which is also used for a multitude of other tasks). They scan the product it takes a percentage off. First reduction is, for example, 25% then second reduction 50% and so on. Only at the end of the day do they go down to daft price like 5p to clear, and only then do they enter the price manually.

Yes, the amount of product to clear dictates how low the price goes. If for example they have 5 mozzarella balls on today's date, the might all clear through at 25% off before lunch. If they have 125 of them then it might take all day to clear them.

Also it's not recommended to go rooting through the shelves and asking the assistant to reduce something for you. It is company policy almost anywhere that product can not be reduced on demand and the assistant is not going to risk their job for you. Also refusal often offends.

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 May 2019 at 4:32PM
    They do not enter prices into the "gun" (Hand Held Terminal given it's proper name, which is also used for a multitude of other tasks). They scan the product it takes a percentage off. First reduction is, for example, 25% then second reduction 50% and so on. Only at the end of the day do they go down to daft price like 5p to clear, and only then do they enter the price manually.

Yes, the amount of product to clear dictates how low the price goes. If for example they have 5 mozzarella balls on today's date, the might all clear through at 25% off before lunch. If they have 125 of them then it might take all day to clear them.

Also it's not recommended to go rooting through the shelves and asking the assistant to reduce something for you. It is company policy almost anywhere that product can not be reduced on demand and the assistant is not going to risk their job for you. Also refusal often offends.

One of my friends works for Sainsburys and they can enter prices manually on their handsets. Though the default reduction is a third off. She doesn't need a manager to able to reduce things to 5p-20p at the end of the day. I know when I was with my ex - worked for Morrisons, at the time (2007) the code checker had to get a manager's sign on to override the reductions below a certain % - couldn't remember what that was and unsure if this is still the case.

The bit in bold. Is that I know Sainsburys does track suspicious activities on reductions etc. They know the use by date on products and stock levels.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback