local "tick" card - is the debt enforceable?

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Brigidir wrote: »
    are you publicly condoning VAT and tax evasion by "cash in hand" transactions undeclared and unlicensed by the national regulator? and theres me thinking you were a civilized bunch. keep my mouth shut from ringing HMRC and reporting his name , proof of this little deal and business address?

No, I'm saying YOU are better off with this scheme continuining so you shouldn't rock the boat.

Besides, YOU were not so outraged about the scheme until he was a bit mean to you over a late payment.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    are you publicly condoning VAT and tax evasion by "cash in hand" transactions undeclared and unlicensed by the national regulator? and theres me thinking you were a civilized bunch. keep my mouth shut from ringing HMRC and reporting his name , proof of this little deal and business address?

Do you have *any* proof that he is intending to avoid paying VAT?

Again, utterly transparent attempt, by you, to justify not paying this person what you owe.
  • Brigidir
    Brigidir Posts: 20 Forumite
    boo_star wrote: »
    No, I'm saying YOU are better off with this scheme continuining so you shouldn't rock the boat.

Besides, YOU were not so outraged about the scheme until he was a bit mean to you over a late payment.

like i said im not going back there so no skin off my nose.

i wouldve turned a blind eye should they show a bit of humanity and not treat people like scum. im not desperate for the credit just a useful utility until now
  • Brigidir
    Ergates wrote: »
    Do you have *any* proof that he is intending to avoid paying VAT?

Again, utterly transparent attempt, by you, to justify not paying this person what you owe.

it would be down to HMRC to decide that and if theyre fully licenced and compliant then fair game they can continue. if not they will probably be massively fined and prosecuted and have to close down shop.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    and there is charges actually. £3 each time you use the tick in the shop and £3 surcharge on top for cigarettes and alcohol. he threatened to charge me £12 for missed payment but said i pay in cash and i only pay the invoice balance.

Small retailers have been offering credit for as long as anyone can remember.

A charge of £3 per transaction is pretty steep.

I guess the system is supplied by a third party. Care to share who that is?
  • boo_star
    like i said im not going back there so no skin off my nose.

i wouldve turned a blind eye should they show a bit of humanity and not treat people like scum. im not desperate for the credit just a useful utility until now

A banks collections department will treat you like scum too. And to add insult to injury they'll charge you interest!

It's a shame you can't just be honest and admit you were looking for a way to get out of paying your debts but whatever, do your own thing. You should hope that the rest of the community that is reliant on this interest free loan doesn't find out it was you who got the scheme shut down.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    it would be down to HMRC to decide that and if theyre fully licenced and compliant then fair game they can continue. if not they will probably be massively fined and prosecuted and have to close down shop.

This is what you said:
    are you publicly condoning VAT and tax evasion by "cash in hand" transactions undeclared and unlicensed by the national regulator?
    You clearly and directly insinuated that the shop owner was evading tax by accepting cash for payments. Do you have any proof that this is the case? Or anything that even *suggests* that this is the case? Or are you just making stuff up to try to justify your actions?
  • Brigidir
    Ergates wrote: »
    This is what you said:

You clearly and directly insinuated that the shop owner was evading tax by accepting cash for payments. Do you have any proof that this is the case? Or anything that even *suggests* that this is the case? Or are you just making stuff up to try to justify your actions?

one of the indicators is that they are hesitant on cash only rather than online. off the books so they can pocket it with no deductions. like i said it'll be a matter for HMRC to deal with. i trust they have the expertise to dig further and prosecute
  • Brigidir
    boo_star wrote: »
    A banks collections department will treat you like scum too. And to add insult to injury they'll charge you interest!

It's a shame you can't just be honest and admit you were looking for a way to get out of paying your debts but whatever, do your own thing. You should hope that the rest of the community that is reliant on this interest free loan doesn't find out it was you who got the scheme shut down.

i am reporting illegal activity. how the community feel about that is not of concern to moi here.
  • boo_star
    one of the indicators is that they are hesitant on cash only rather than online. off the books so they can pocket it with no deductions. like i said it'll be a matter for HMRC to deal with. i trust they have the expertise to dig further and prosecute

It's the other way around, they're "hesitant" on you being allowed online access.

If it was such the tax fiddle you think it is, don't you think they'd have done it all by cash?

Although I have no idea how a shopkeeper taking cash for products they sell is a "fiddle."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure