Decking Round Greenhouse?

r2015
r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
My greenhouse sits in a corner on a base that is about 22 inches from next door's fence and 26 inches from my back fence.

This area used to be made up of 6 inch by 3 feet edging slabs laid flat on top of breeze blocks dug into the soil (what you can do when living on a building site for 2 years) but since the fences were replaced and the next door neighbour remodeled his garden it is now about a foot lower than my garden.

This has resulted in the edging slabs needing to be replaced, they were all cracked and broken and covered in moss after 27 years.

The base the greenhouse is on is solid enough.

I was thinking that the easiest way to repair the surrounding area of my greenhouse and make it look prettier was to buy 6 2.4 metre lengths of decking as I only need to go round the side of my greenhouse occasionally.

A good idea?
over 73 but not over the hill.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    A terrible idea, because the wood will be in a partially shaded corner and won't dry out in winter, leading to it becoming slippery with algae.

Sooner or later, someone will be taking a header through the side of the greenhouse.

I would probably use concrete, or if too pushed for time, stone chippings.
  • r2015
    Sooner or later, someone will be taking a header through the side of the greenhouse.

Nobody will be walking round the side of the greenhouse, it's just to make it pretty.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    r2015 wrote: »
    Nobody will be walking round the side of the greenhouse, it's just to make it pretty.

"I only need to go round the side of my greenhouse occasionally."

:huh:
  • r2015
    I only need to go round the side of my greenhouse occasionally."

Maybe once a year.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I would level using existing blocks/edging to edge around the fence for some support if it is too low or get some concrete barge boards.

Then a sheet of tough weed/drive fabric, cover with stone, bark, woodchip(I use my shredded tree cuttings for this sort of job).

If(when) stuff grow just pull or zap with chemicals

where I have this setup I used a ling baton to secure the weed fabric and tack that to the fence posts so if any work is done on the fence I and just pull it back with the baton.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure