Really worried about asbestos in ceiling following a leak

littlewren
littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 11 November 2017 at 9:31PM in Flood & storms help & information
I have had the week from hell with Dynorod, with a few simple jobs taking ages when they shouldn't have etc. and culminating in water pouring through my ceiling on Thursday.

I'd had to call them out again because whatever they'd done had resulted in the bath cold tap dripping & as I'm on a water meter I thought I'd better call them back. He came out, attempted to change the washer and after a few strong swear words while trying to do it he told me he couldn't get something off & would have to change the actual taps, which was fine by me.

He went (no paperwork left) and half an hour later I noticed a large patch on the carpet. Looking further - I'd been upstairs didn't notice straight away - I saw water cascading down the patio doors, creating patches on my ceiling, drenching my curtains, walls, carpet etc. I won't bore you with more details about how Dynorod told me they were sending someone out and so on.....they never turned up, I had to chase them.....

Anyway my question is this: another Dynorod plumber who called out today at my request said that the ceiling needs to be cut, replaced and skimmed. I didn't think at the time but I don't know if the ceiling contains asbestos & I can't trust Dynorod to tell me the truth any more.

The reason I'm querying this is because about 10 years ago there was a bit of a leak from my bath which appeared as a bit of a crack on the ceiling below. When I queried this with the Insurance people, who I'd had to call out for another job, he said that it could contain asbestos and the whole ceiling would have to come down.

I'm really worried now that Dynorod, being the useless company that I've found them to be this week, might do the repair and disturb asbestos.

Help please! TIA
Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!

Comments

• Tell Dynorod about the asbestos and that they are not to undertake any making good on the ceiling until a sample of the ceiling has been sent off for analysis - it is the only way to be sure. They could assume that it is asbestos but I would demand to see a risk assessment detailing how they plan to protect you during disturbance.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What asbestos? OP already has another thread panicking about the faint possibility that the textured coating MIGHT contain asbestos.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Probably an artexed ceiling. How old is the house. Can you take a pic of the crack
  • littlewren
    unforeseen wrote: »
    What asbestos? OP already has another thread panicking about the faint possibility that the textured coating MIGHT contain asbestos.

The reason I started the other thread is because I hadn't had any replies on here so I thought maybe it wasn't the best area to post my query.

There wasn't a FAINT possibility that the artex might contain asbestos. British Gas decided to send out a tester and it does contain asbestos. I don't know why you thought it was such a faint possibility!
  • littlewren
    arch1921 wrote: »
    Tell Dynorod about the asbestos and that they are not to undertake any making good on the ceiling until a sample of the ceiling has been sent off for analysis - it is the only way to be sure. They could assume that it is asbestos but I would demand to see a risk assessment detailing how they plan to protect you during disturbance.

As mentioned below, I didn't have any replies here, hence my late reply to these posts.

The artex was found to contain asbestos after some was sent off for analysis. The builders are difficult to deal with concerning the issue of asbestos and aren't concerned. I know it is the chrysolite type and less dangerous, but it is still asbestos. They are due to come out on Thurs, I can't see them giving me a risk assessment plan if I ask for one.
  • littlewren
    docmatt wrote: »
    Probably an artexed ceiling. How old is the house. Can you take a pic of the crack

Thank you for your reply, please see my other posts on here.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Refuse them access if these criminals do not intend to deal correctly with the Asbestos. And report it to the HSE. Under no circumstances allow them to cut corners with an ACM. Don't accept this nonsense that Artex is low risk - it might be lower risk than other forms of Asbestos but a single fibre can kill.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills