Who to complain to about wrong address?

Options
A company took me to court, without my knowledge and obtained a Writ of Control. I knew nothing about what was happening as all their letters (if any) were sent to an incorrect address, one does not even exist.
So basically, the only time I found out was when the bailiffs started to send me letters to the correct address

I want to file a complaint, but unsure where to start as never dealt with this before. The reason for my complaint is me not been given the opportunity to pay off if I knew of their intentions earlier on. I have no idea where they got the incorrect address from.
Do I stand any chance? Do I make a complaint to court or go to the Financial Ombudsman?

Many thanks

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I think your best bet is to apply to the court for set aside. It would help if you had some defence to the claim though.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/howtosetasideacountycourtjudgment/settingasideaccj.aspx
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    Did you know of the debt?
  • chokolat2
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    I think your best bet is to apply to the court for set aside. It would help if you had some defence to the claim though.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/howtosetasideacountycourtjudgment/settingasideaccj.aspx

Can I still do that even if the bailiffs have been paid in full? (had to pay them as mother in law opened the door and let them in and to avoid further action) at the time I knew nothing about the address error hence have been investigating further the past week.
  • chokolat2
    Options
    Did you know of the debt?

No. Because the company made no attempt to contact me with their intentions, or they sent letters to the other incorrect address.
    This debt was for an office space (rent). I had to leave the premises early due to personal circumstances, and I didnt request the deposit back which I was under the impression would cover me until the end of contract. Surely the company would have attempted to send me a letter with their intentions to take me to court? I received nothing :(
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I believe that, if your setaside is successful then anything you have paid the bailiffs is returned to you in full.

Also believe that a setaside would be granted based on the fact that they sent all correspondence to a ficticious address, mail sent to which would have/should have been returned to sender, but not sure on this.

EDIT - they obviously knew your correct address, how else would the bailiffs know where to go to extract money out of you?
  • chokolat2
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    I believe that, if your setaside is successful then anything you have paid the bailiffs is returned to you in full.

Also believe that a setaside would be granted based on the fact that they sent all correspondence to a ficticious address, mail sent to which would have/should have been returned to sender, but not sure on this.

EDIT - they obviously knew your correct address, how else would the bailiffs know where to go to extract money out of you?

They sure did know my correct address as all court papers (which I have now obtained copies of) has the contract attached between myself and the company who rented me the office space with my correct address.
    Thank you for your advice, I will have a go at a setaside
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    chokolat2 wrote: »
    Can I still do that even if the bailiffs have been paid in full? (had to pay them as mother in law opened the door and let them in and to avoid further action) at the time I knew nothing about the address error hence have been investigating further the past week.

You'll need to take advice on that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport