Lost completion certificate

mavon
mavon Posts: 168 Forumite
My husband completed his IVA in 2017
He has lost the completion certificate and now he is being contacted by Link in regard to Saga credit card debt which was included in the IVA.
My husband cannot speak on the phone due to having had a total laryngectomy .
I emailed to tell them in was in the IVA and they asked for a copy of the certificate .
The IVA was with Harrington Brooks who are no more so I found email addresses for Gregory Pennington and Freeman jones who took over to try and obtain a copy .This was sometime ago and haven't received any reply .Now link have contacted again to ask to speak to him and i dont know what to do .

Comments

• mavon
    I have now found an email address for Harrington Brooks so I await to see if I get a reply
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 July 2019 at 11:06AM
    Does the arrangement still show on any of his credit files at all ?

This is exactly why its so important to take screenshots of your details on the insolvency register, and to keep all relevant paperwork for at least 6 years.

My completion certificate was a single sheet of A4 paper just saying i had successfully completed my payments, and my IVA has ended, it was like something a kid could knock up on a computer in 5 mins, and thats what i suggest you do if you cannot get copies of the original, you just "reconstitute" a copy.

You have to remember that a competion certificate does not constitute evidence the debt was paid, also, its up to them to prove him liable for this debt, not for him to prove he isnt.

My advice is to write to Link, stating the debt was included in your IVA, and if they require any further clarification, then they should contact the original creditor concerned as it is their job to chase these things up, not yours, any further contact in regard to this matter will be treated as harrasment and will result in an official written complaint being made to them, and if they do not desist in their collection activity for a debt that has been settled, you will have no choice but to escalate the matter to the financial ombudsman service, and that you will also be seeking compensation.

You have to deal with these people correctly or they will try and walk all over you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hi - I am part of the team here at Freeman Jones. We'd be happy to provide a copy of the Completion Certificate to help you resolve this. The correct email address is customer.services@freemanjones.com - if you prefer email me direct via ian.williams at FreemanJones.com

Ian
  • mavon
    thank you very much Ian i will email you direct ,i have sent an email previously but got no reply
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    mavon wrote: »
    thank you very much Ian i will email you direct ,i have sent an email previously but got no reply

Like i said, the completion certificate only shows he completed an IVA, it dosent offer any proof this debt was included in it.

THEY must provide proof of liability, its not up to you to prove anything, you are allowing them to control the situation, when it should be the other way around.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure