PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have 5 new books on my kindle ready for long-haul flight to Thailand. Now I won't be able to take it on the plane! :eek:

I'll have to carry at least four proper books to tide me over, there and back!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I have 5 new books on my kindle ready for long-haul flight to Thailand. Now I won't be able to take it on the plane! :eek:

At least long haul flights have book friendly luggage limits!

I finished Frankenstein, a classic because of it's subject matter and innovative-ness I think, rather than the quality of the writing. Although since she was still a teenager when she wrote it that's understandable.

Now reading the third Septimus Heap book, Physik.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite

Life is tough sometimes :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Just like in the olden days... :rotfl::rotfl:
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I read a few this week.

Book 15:
    41k9qt6p3aL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8/10 - written in a style that is easy to read, but the subject matter was anything but easy to grapple with. It made me question how I view prisoners and whether they are ever treated fairly after serving their sentences. It's a relatively short book but one that is well worth reading, ideal for a book group in fact.

This was really good as a programme on C4 a number of years ago and I think was the launch of Andrew Garfield's career. Really enjoyed it although the subject was uncomfortable at times to watch. Really left its mark on me after the programme had ended.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • CurlyTop
    Forumite

Pollypenny, I hope you don't mind me asking, but how come you can't take your kindle on the plane? I thought it was only certain countries coming into the UK that had the restrictions as noted here:

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

I honestly didn't know Thailand was affected. If that is the case, what a shame. Yes it is like going back to 'old money' days. I hope you aren't affected.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 April 2017 at 1:23PM
    CurlyTop wrote: »
    Pollypenny, I hope you don't mind me asking, but how come you can't take your kindle on the plane? I thought it was only certain countries coming into the UK that had the restrictions as noted here:

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

I honestly didn't know Thailand was affected. If that is the case, what a shame. Yes it is like going back to 'old money' days. I hope you aren't affected.

Flying on Emirates, then changing in Dubai. I wouldn't like to risk the kindle being confiscated in Dubai!

Re taking real books in the old days - I could not afford to fly far then, so one book would see me wherever.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I have read Frankenstein, but I can't really remember what I thought if it, I love Dracula and have read that a few times.:)
  • CurlyTop
    Forumite
    Flying on Emirates, then changing in Dubai. I wouldn't like to risk the kindle being confiscated in Dubai!

Re taking real books in the old days - I could not afford to fly far then, so one book would see me wherever.

A aah, now I'm with you. How pants is that? I wouldn't risk my kindle either so I'm with you. Just as well we haven't replaced books :j
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Book 17:

51msu2sE7aL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8/10. I'm a big fan of this author, but usually find it quite hard to get into short stories. I'm glad I persisted and read the stories in order.

I also expanded my vocabulary through this book...am just wondering how to drop succubus into polite conversation :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure