PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Margaret54
    Margaret54 Posts: 842 Forumite
    GreyQueen hi how lovely reading that :) and you are clever too, as you have taught many things on here which are handy and important, and I love your style of writing and sense of humour.:)
    Do a little kindness every day.;)
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    jk0 wrote: »
    New Simon's Cat video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9qdyXCVNVk

Enjoy.

:beer: thanks!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A credit union! Membership of a credit union would be a really good prep ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Odd weather here today.

Bright but cloudy, and warm, but with howling winds. :(
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yes, really blustery down Sarf as well but no chill in the wind. Everyone's obviously out making the most of the good weather as it is so quiet on here.

Apparently temperatures will be a good bit cooler for a few days but then a real heatwave.

So glad I no longer have to commute.

I've been reading the Archdruid Report since Grey Queen posted a link it a couple of weeks ago and I explored some of the blogs he links to. Boy, does he hang out with some pessimists:eek:

It seems inconceivable in this lovely weather that anything could go seriously awry with the world. But of course, both the wars started at the end of lovely summers. And we are only recently back from France where the country is still reeling from the attacks. I only had access to wifi intermittently but it got to the stage where I dreaded what I would see when I looked at the news headlines. We were in La Rochelle for the Red Bull cliff diving competition ( talk about INSANE!!) and security was obviously very tight. A few days later we were in Sables d'Olonne where the Vendee Globe round the world race starts from. They have glorious beaches so it's a very popular tourist spot. They had army patrols in the streets.

Actually I think I was more alarmed by the sight of what looked like teenage cadets wandering round with machine guns than anything:eek:

The French holiday season peaks between 14 July and 15 August ( Assumption Day) and most towns have firework displays both days. We saw so many posters and newspaper reports saying that fireworks were cancelled.

I like sticking my nose into the little churches in the ports we visit, they all have the most intricate model ships strung from the ceiling. Every church was ablaze with light from the candles that people lit for that poor priest who was slaughtered at the altar and there seemed to be a big turnout for Mass on the following Sunday. Everywhere seemed to have a very sombre undertone. We were glad to get home
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mary, thanks for posting about France - it's good to get some first hand knowledge.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Mary, thanks for posting about France - it's good to get some first hand knowledge.

Yes, it is. Thank you maryb. Not much news here atm is there, the Olympics has been allowed to push everything else out!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    maryb wrote: »
    Hi Living Proof I saw that offer and was tempted but one of the things that keeps me with Natwest is that their online banking is very easy to use especially with Microsoft Money which I still use. Downloads of statements are especially quick. I like to download transactions every couple of days. I also look after DHs money and I don't find lloyds/ Halifax quite as user friendly, though it does work. Nationwide, on the other hand don't support Microsoft Money at all.

Do you know what download formats they offer for Internet banking? Hope this isn't any trouble

I haven't got that far yet, as have only just received the debit card. I will ask them when they activate it for me. I agree that it's useful to have the flexibility and also wish they would allow for a column which is write-only so I could put my comments in against various entries to remind me what is was for!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you use Microsoft Money and download your statements into that, you can add a category to each item and also an explanatory note (useful if your categories are fairly broad). There's a sunset version of Microsoft Money available for free on the Microsoft website and I have no problems running it with Windows 10.

Lots of people swear by You Need A Budget (YNAB). I haven't tried that - it seems to be more forward looking than Money which is more of a record which you can analyse in lots of ways. (Money does have a budgeting feature but even if you tell it something is an annual expense, the month the payment goes out it still tells you you've overspent so I don't use it) But presumably in order to check how you are doing in comparison to your budget you would need to have actual spends so I am assuming YNAB must let you download online bank statements?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :pmaryb, you know you're getting older when the army cadets start looking like middle-school children. (mila, the 8-12 years olds).

Years ago, I passed some 'child' in police unifrom by the Towers and found myself thinking Does his mother know he's down here in that? We've criminals in this block with records 2-3 times longer than his lifespan.:rotfl:

I was busy gardening for most of Sunday, beautiful weather for it, have been caught by the sun a bit. We will be lifting the spuds next week. The tops of some of the second earlies still haven't fully gone over but we're getting there. I will have the folks up and Dad will help me dig and Mum can bunch some lavender whilst sitting in a deckchair as is on permanant light duties.

I'm going to be unsurprised if someone doesn't try something evil at the N0tting Hill Carnv@l on 28th-29th. It's the 50th year this year, hard to credit, isn't it?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills