Add your feedback on energy supplier Scottish Power

Comments

• CRISPIANNE3
    CRISPIANNE3 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I switched back to SP from Ovo. Everything went smoothly except trying to get the extra cashback going via moneysavingexpert. I took this up with SP and they paid it to me themselves.

In my opinion they are one of the best companys to transfer to. The only gripe I have is still not able to view my dd forecast online.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 February 2013 at 12:24PM
    withabix wrote: »
    1) Scottish Power habitually increase your Direct Debit to a level that ENSURES that your account is ALWAYS in credit by a significant amount.

NOT so that the MINIMUM balance is a credit of several hundred pounds.

I have been with SP for several years and that is not a problem I have found, I submit a reading every three months and my direct debit is adjusted accordingly, but the balance has never been several hundred pounds, over twelve months it usually works out only a few pounds in credit.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    1) Scottish Power habitually increase your Direct Debit to a level that ENSURES that your account is ALWAYS in credit by a significant amount.

Monthly payment budget accounts should balance credit and debit balances throughout the year, so that your average balance is close to £0, NOT so that the MINIMUM balance is a credit of several hundred pounds. At the end of the high consumption period (eg May), your balance should be negative by between a quarter and a half of your annual consumption.

Can the Scottish Power Company Representative please post here to explain why this is. Please do not post garbage which tries to justify that this is in the customer's benefit.

2) Their website is almost always broken at weekends.

3) Online tariff changes magically do not work for several weeks before a cheap rate is due to end.

Since joining SP our direct debit has always been in theLast range of £93-£100. Our anniversary date to which the bill should be £0 is November. This time around we were £41 in credit so they lowered the DD a touch. Our bill is currently £121 in debit which we expect so we have never had any massive or unreasonable DD increases.
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    We value all feedback both positive and negative. If there is a particular issue that you want us to investigate, please e-mail [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] Thanks David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Hi David,

I'm looking to switch from British Gas but have recently had Smart Meters fitted - would this be a problem?

Thanks
  • I know it's not just Scottish power but I was going to ring them tonight to ask a question, but then noticed the two numbers...

An 0800 number - only for new customers
    An 0845 number - for existing customers

Basically it says to me, WE GOT YOU NOW, PAY TO CONTACT US :D

Now I have to wait for an email reply instead :mad:

As my tariff ends at the end of March, and the question was regarding changing to another Scottish Power tarif, lets hope they don't take too long to reply.

In their defence I haven't had any problems with them in the 13 months I have been a customer with Scottish Power.
  • From my post above:
    veronarona wrote: »

They have a call-back service which I've just tested and they kept to their timing via a polite and pleasant operative.

You should have found a link to request they call you back, they phoned me within 5 minutes.
  • Currently with BG and have joined the Energy Saving Club to look for a cheaper deal. Scottish Power is the cheapest - however, I won't be signing up with them. Been with them before and had terrible service. This very point clarifies that if a customer receives bad service, it is likely that they will go elsewhere, even if it costs a few quid more.
    Reading the recent forums it appears that little has changed at S.P. with customers having to spend time correcting administrative errors & spending unreasonable amounts of time on the telephone to get their problem resolved. Unless the feedback and blogs report DRASTIC improvements, I for one won't be signing up.

(thought for the day - at the inception of the direct debit scheme and payment of wages to the banking industry, coupled with the use of plastic money - we all had to become mental accountants)
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Leaving SP was for me a nighmare. They said they wouldn't raise the price as I was leaving but billed me the higher price nevertheless. Doesn't matter to me as I got them to reissue final bills but it does bother me that others who don't check or understand these things will pay more than they should.

People who answer email at SP often don't seem to understand the question asked and will simply reply with some cut and paste answer that is irrelevant.
  • paulh2008
    paulh2008 Posts: 18 Forumite

Not in my experience. After changing almost a year ago I'm now more than £300 in debit but they have only just upped my monthly payment to progressively repay that over 12 months, so I shall be in debit for some time yet.

BG were varying my payment almost monthly, and whacked me onto their highest tariff when I moved house, hence the switch then. BG cocked up my switch, so gas took a month longer than electricity. And I didn't appreciate the scaremongering phone calls from them about SP.

I can save a few pounds a year by switching to SPs latest online tariff, or another few pence a month by changing supplier (avoiding Spark!) but will stay with SP for the time being at any rate.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback