Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Comments

• A direct debit is only used to COLLECT money from your account.
    https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/whatisdirectdebit.aspx
    authorises the organisation you want to pay to collect varying amounts from your account

When they pay you, they just use the bank account details they have stored (or else how could they collect via a Direct Debit) and use BACS to pay into your account. Or spend out a cheque.
  • Boxman
    Boxman Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 April 2018 at 10:57AM
    How will they refund me if the DD is closed?

When I changed to another supplier I closed my dd mandate when they tried to take further payments from me despite being well in credit.

After 24 weeks (following intervention by the Ombudsman) they finally sent the outstanding credit directly back to my bank account.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    A direct debit is only used to COLLECT money from your account.
    https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/whatisdirectdebit.aspx

When they pay you, they just use the bank account details they have stored (or else how could they collect via a Direct Debit) and use BACS to pay into your account. Or spend out a cheque.

Unfortunately quite a few organisations tell you that cancellation of a DD causes them to "lose" your banking details. Has certainly happened to me when dealing with Telecom Company ,who said that I had to set up a DD for them to refund me!!:(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    @brewerdave
    Incompetent organisations is all I'll say.
  • brewerdave
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @brewerdave
    Incompetent organisations is all I'll say.
    ....absolutely correct.....but since they owed ~ £90 I reluctantly allowed them to set up the new DD ....THEN WATCHED THEM LIKE A HAWK UNTIL HE MONEY WAS BACK IN MY ACCOUNT!!:)
  • brewerdave
    IRESA have produced a bill (no email notification tho'); agrees with the Account Charges page and my spreadsheet to the p.:j
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    When I left Iresa I cancelled the DD (I was able to get hold of someone in their call centre and tell them in advance but I didn't feel obliged to).

After several weeks of delay, and an official complaint, they raised the final bill. I actually filled out a new DD mandate because I thought they would need it to process the refund, but they never used it, they just paid the refund via multiple bank transfers.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Blackdog
    Blackdog Posts: 459 Forumite
    Finally I have now had a final bill and refund of my credit from Iresa. I moved away from them mid Feb and submitted a formal complaint mid March as they had taken the February direct debit despite me asking them not to as I had switched away and was in credit. They have never responded to my formal complaint. I called them once and although I got down to number 2 in the queue they never answered. I tried again about a week later and was answered within half an hour and they closed my account and sorted the refund of the balance quickly, apart from refunding me 1p less than I was due I was happy with that. Clearly the only way to get their attention these days is by phone, support tickets or complaint emails are still not being answered in my experience.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Had my support ticket answered in about two weeks, advised me my account passed on to one of their team, still waiting for refund three weeks later.
  • Blackdog
    Blackdog Posts: 459 Forumite
    nickcc wrote: »
    Had my support ticket answered in about two weeks, advised me my account passed on to one of their team, still waiting for refund three weeks later.

Try giving them a call on their Freephone number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure