PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Electoral Roll

Acania
Acania Posts: 16
First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 19 April 2018 at 1:16PM in House buying, renting & selling
this place never changes, alwauys morons around

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,262
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Being on the electoral role is not something you choose to do to improve your credit rating. It is a requirement to register if asked to do so and you can be fined if your dont. Difficult to see how you have avoided being asked for 13 years.

It has nothing to do with Council tax.
  • Acania
    Acania Posts: 16
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    anselld wrote: »
    Being on the electoral role is not something you choose to do to improve your credit rating. It is a requirement to register if asked to do so and you can be fined if your dont. Difficult to see how you have avoided being asked for 13 years.

Don't be cheeky. Read my question again. And to respond to you, It is a requirement if I have a main address and am asked to register on the electoral roll, neither of which have applied to me in the past 13years cause I haven't had a main address nor has the council ever asked me to fill in any form.

Now if you can't answer my question about council tax and registering for the electoral roll then zip it.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Acania wrote: »
    Don't be cheeky. Read my question again. And to respond to you, It is a requirement if I have a main address and am asked to register on the electoral roll, neither of which have applied to me in the past 13years cause I haven't had a main address nor has the council ever asked me to fill in any form.

Now if you can't answer my question about council tax and registering for the electoral roll then zip it.

How can anyone answer your question if you've deleted it?

Do you have anger management issues?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Forumite
    nicechap wrote: »
    How can anyone answer your question if you've deleted it?

By finding it on the internet:
    Hi guys, I need some advice. I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum. I moved out of my old house in around 2005 which I lived in my whole life. I have been off the electoral roll since then. Been staying in various places eg friends etc. I registered with inland revenue my parents address so my tax letters etc go to their home. I sometimes stay at my parents house aswell. My question is that I am thinking about staying at my parents house during the summer, and I want to fix my credit rating etc and apply for some credit cards. If I am still there when the annuual electoral roll form comes and I put my name on it, could it cause the council to accuse me of always being there? Cause my parents get a council tax relief and don't pay much towards it. Last thing I wanna do is have the council claim I was living there for x years and therefore throw some bill their way for previous years. Also, if I do register with the electoral roll how do I work out how much the council tax will be minus the relief my parents get cause I work and I'll have to pay it.

All help appreciated.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

Everyone has a main address. It's where you live at any given point in time.

You may move around frequently, 'stay' with different people, but that just means your main address frequently changes.

As for your question, I could answer that for you, but since you've

a) insulted the first person to respond and
    b) deleted your question in a huff

I don't think I'll bother!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi guys, I need some advice. I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum. I moved out of my old house in around 2005 which I lived in my whole life. I have been off the electoral roll since then. Been staying in various places eg friends etc. I registered with inland revenue my parents address so my tax letters etc go to their home. I sometimes stay at my parents house aswell. My question is that I am thinking about staying at my parents house during the summer, and I want to fix my credit rating etc and apply for some credit cards. If I am still there when the annuual electoral roll form comes and I put my name on it, could it cause the council to accuse me of always being there? Cause my parents get a council tax relief and don't pay much towards it. Last thing I wanna do is have the council claim I was living there for x years and therefore throw some bill their way for previous years. Also, if I do register with the electoral roll how do I work out how much the council tax will be minus the relief my parents get cause I work and I'll have to pay it.

So is it the case that you've really been living with your parents, but pretending not to so that they get Council Tax benefit?

Genuine question, as the answer to that determines the best advice to you (and your parents).
    All help appreciated.

Hopefully.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • slopemaster
    slopemaster Posts: 1,579
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    anselld wrote: »

Of course you are right about it being obligatory, and in theory I'm sure you are right about this.
    But in practice, in my experience, when I have put myself on the electoral register at an address, this has immediately led to the council asking me for council tax.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Of course you are right about it being obligatory, and in theory I'm sure you are right about this.
    But in practice, in my experience, when I have put myself on the electoral register at an address, this has immediately led to the council asking me for council tax.

Unless you are a tenant or an occupying owner, you would not be liable for CT.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Forumite
    this place never changes, alwauys morons around

Sure are - they're the ones having hissy fits and deleting their posts.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

That can only be because you were liable for CT, so it's only reasonable that they would expect you to pay it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure