Pressure to sign finance agreement

HI, I am hoping if someone might have any advice on this?

Back in Jan we ordered a new Kia Picanto from the Kia agent in Cardiff. The purchase has been beset by issues from the word go, not least of which is that we were initially told the car would be with the dealer on March 2nd. However, the latest delivery date we've had today is May 21st.

The dealer has now also said that they'd like me to travel almost a hundred miles round trip to sign the finance agreement (PCP for 3 years) in advance of the car being delivered. I am extremely reluctant to do this.

One, I'd like to see the vehicle we are purchasing prior to signing (this what we've always done in the past when buying new cars ranging from BMW to Volvo).

Two, I am concerned that if we sign the agreement and then car is delayed again we could be making payments prior to the car being with us and also that being that it is a PCP that it might be only 35 or 34 months before the ballon is due despite us making 36 payments.

The dealership was been woeful from the moment after we signed the order. I still cannot get a written finance quote out of them (luckily they did text me the monthly repayments) and we have already had to get Kia and Kia finance involved with a issue regarding registered keepers where I was right and the dealership was wrong!

I have it in my mind that being forced to sign a finance agreement before the goods are ready might well be illegal?

I have spoken to Kia Finance this afternoon and they can't provide an answer as if the agreement has to be signed beforehand. They thought it might be a pre-contract agreement, but as I pointed out, we have already completed and signed an official order for the vehicle.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to any legislation that cover this? I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Comments

• tjer222
    tjer222 Posts: 6 Forumite
    forgot to say that they've also asked for a BAC's transfer for the deposit some days in advance of deliver.y I have said no, but will pay the remaining deposit by debit (not credit) card on the day. They aren't happy about this either.
  • I am no expert, but signing a PCP contract for something 2 months away seems odd to me.

It is currently a “buyers market” as far as cars go, can you not cancel on the basis of the dealer not supplying the car when they said they would?
  • Sorry you have had a bad experience from the Kia dealer you are using.
    I know its too late for you and you might not be local - I wont directly name the dealers, but when I brought my new Kia from them and every since they have been more than helpful and I can highly recommend them!
    Enter Kia dealers Houghton Regis into your search engine.

Disclaimer - I am just a customer of theirs, I am in no way connected to the dealership,
    if this post breaks any forum rules, please can a site moderator remove it.
    I am, therefore I think.

• UncleZen
    UncleZen Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you pay the deposit by credit card (>£100) and anything goes wrong your covered and the cc company will be responsible, the dealer wont like it but insiste, stand your ground.
    See:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    UncleZen wrote: »
    If you pay the deposit by credit card (>£100) and anything goes wrong your covered and the cc company will be responsible, the dealer wont like it but insiste, stand your ground.
    See:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

OP is buying via finance agreement so paying by credit card isn't necessary as they already have section 75 protection.

However I'll add that they could pay as little as £5 by credit card and be covered for the whole amount - the £100+ requirement is for the value of the item, not the amount paid by card.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    tjer222 wrote: »
    not least of which is that we were initially told the car would be with the dealer on March 2nd. However, the latest delivery date we've had today is May 21st.
    This is very unlikely to be the dealer's fault. The car will now be on a container ship on the way to the UK, and will probably arrive in the country a couple of weeks before delivery. Any delay from hereon in is only likely to be due to transit damage being rectified.
    The dealer has now also said that they'd like me to travel almost a hundred miles round trip to sign the finance agreement (PCP for 3 years) in advance of the car being delivered. I am extremely reluctant to do this.
    Why did you choose a dealer so far away from your home?
    Can the paperwork not be posted?
    The dealership was been woeful from the moment after we signed the order. I still cannot get a written finance quote out of them
    If you don't have a written finance quote, then the finance agreement is not ready to be signed.
    but as I pointed out, we have already completed and signed an official order for the vehicle.
    You've committed to an order for a vehicle, despite not even knowing how much it'll cost? What if the finance is declined, or the quote is not acceptable to you?
  • tjer222
    tjer222 Posts: 6 Forumite
    not least of which is that we were initially told the car would be with the dealer on March 2nd. However, the latest delivery date we've had today is May 21st.
    Originally posted by tjer222
    !!!8221;This is very unlikely to be the dealer's fault. The car will now be on a container ship on the way to the UK, and will probably arrive in the country a couple of weeks before delivery. Any delay from hereon in is only likely to be due to transit damage being rectified.

No, they told us on day of order, the car was due to arrive at their dealership on March 2. Later they changed this to its no built and I had to chase them to actually then get a build date

!!!8220;
    !!!8221;Why did you choose a dealer so far away from your home?
    The deal £800 less than local agent..

!!!8220;
    The dealership was been woeful from the moment after we signed the order. I still cannot get a written finance quote out of them
    !!!8221;If you don't have a written finance quote, then the finance agreement is not ready to be signed.
    Have have text of figures and email, just not full quote.

!!!8220;
    but as I pointed out, we have already completed and signed an official order for the vehicle.
    !!!8221;You've committed to an order for a vehicle, despite not even knowing how much it'll cost? What if the finance is declined, or the quote is not acceptable to you?
    Wrong on all points.
  • jlemaitre
    jlemaitre Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does the contact say anything about delayed delivery date and cancelling the order? 2nd of March and 21st May is a big gap... Are Kia planning on building your car sometime in the near future(deal didnt put the order in)

It only takes about a day or so to actually build a car from a bodyshell to complete car anyway.

If Your're American(you used US date format), I'd Suggest looking up English and Welsh laws on consumers act etc. Speak to someone who can advice you on laws(professional) etc on getting out of this awful contract.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    This is very unlikely to be the dealer's fault. The car will now be on a container ship on the way to the UK, and will probably arrive in the country a couple of weeks before delivery. Any delay from hereon in is only likely to be due to transit damage being rectified.

Why did you choose a dealer so far away from your home?

If you don't have a written finance quote, then the finance agreement is not ready to be signed.

You've committed to an order for a vehicle, despite not even knowing how much it'll cost? What if the finance is declined, or the quote is not acceptable to you?

I very much doubt that the dealer would go ahead with an order without a credit check having been completed.

Personally if I were in the OP's shoes, I would be citing in writing that the new date of delivery being more than 56 days later than stated in the contract as breach of contract and walk away from the deal.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Does not signing the finance deal at the dealers remove the cooling-off period protection that the OP would get if they signed at home? Could this be a factor?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport