TV licence people wanting to open a 'full investigation'.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    of course, I've watched TV for the General Election, Question Time and the like

How did you manage this, without live TV, recording it, or watching it on iPlayer, all of which require a License nowadays?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    How did you manage this, without live TV, recording it, or watching it on iPlayer, all of which require a License nowadays?

There are some loopholes (lacunae) even with the new laws. You can take your device to a Licensed location to download programs, for example and then watch them anywhere.

Personally, I think that the Government missed an important quid pro quo when the law was changed, which would have been to exclude news channels from the Licence entirely, so that anyone outside the licensed regime could retain access to news and current affairs info.
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    They're a shower of !!!!!!.

I haven't even moved into my new house, having spent the last 2 weeks decorating and tidying up the mess left by the previous owner and I've already got a 'this address isn't licensed, we'll be starting an investigation soon' letter through the door.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cancelled my TV license a few months ago, first stopped the DD and then received a notice about setting up a new DD. I contacted TVL on their website saying that I do not watch any broadcast TV or use the BBC iplayer or similar. I do have a TV aerial visible and satellite dish, neither of which I use and all Aerial/Satellite leads have been disconnected, Freeview box is off with no TV aerial connection. I have also removed my PC satellite card.

I have recorded a small number of TV programs prior to cancelling my TV license which I have still not got around to watching, including the Top Gear series with the new presenters, that actor who played Joey and that ginger bloke who quit. I have not watched any of them. Doctor Who which I watched the first episode and did not want to watch any more of them. Red Dwarf on Dave which I have still not watched. I never put on TV news and had not watch Match of the Day in a very long time. I have always found soaps to be mind numbing. I have supported the BBC with a TV license for over 11 years while living here but will no longer unless I find any inclination to actually watch TV.

In the last few years I have barely put the TV on for anything but DVD and could no longer justify paying out for something that I do not use.

After contacting them about this they said everything was okay and I have not received any further letters from TVL.

I think many fail to declare that they no longer require a TV license and therefore get chased for paying for one. There was a website with someone who documented all the letters he had received from TVL and I bet that he did not declare that he did not watch TV and did not require a TVL.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 July 2017 at 9:18AM
    Options
    I think many fail to declare that they no longer require a TV license and therefore get chased for paying for one. There was a website with someone who documented all the letters he had received from TVL and I bet that he did not declare that he did not watch TV and did not require a TVL.

Superficially, it may seem like BBC/TVL/Capita have a legitimate process with some kind of legal backing and that certain people are just "being difficult" and "bringing it all upon themselves" by defying them, but none of that is actually true. Indeed no rational public body would respond in the way that BBC/TVL does even when faced with such "provocation".

In reality, BBC/TVL have no relevant legal authority for what they do with letters and doorstepping, and there is even legal provision against Public Authorities seeking entry to homes unless it is legally authorised and clearly justified (which this is not). If people are defying BBC/TVL then they are doing so within the law, and BBC/TVL need to respect that. There are also some wider questions of BBC/TVL's non-compliance with other aspects of the law such as PACE and the Data Protection Act.

Against that background (and this is neither MSE policy nor something I say lightly) I regard it as a social obligation not to concede to TVL's demands where they have no legal backing and indeed to stand up to the pseudo-organisation as best one can as an individual and collectively.

Ultimately, I think the country will dispense with the TV Licence. Its enforcement since 1991 (when the BBC took over) will be seen in hindsight as the greatest "official" hoax ever perpetrated upon the British Public.

Hopefully, at the same time, we will see sense more generally, and understand that no private commercial interest is capable of running law enforcement with the necessary degree of fairness, public interest and proportionality and that any potential cost savings are illusory, being swallowed up if/when a suitable regulatory regime is in place around the commercial operation.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 July 2017 at 8:58PM
    Options
    I filled out the form on their web site and sent it to them and apart from them writing to confirm that the situation hadn't changed, I didn't receive anything from them.

But they were perfectly welcome to come round whenever they wanted. My TV had no aerial connected and didn't have any channels tuned in & my VCR can only record analogue signals (that no longer exist).

I got a license now because I still wanted to use iPlayer & going somewhere with a license to download a programme to watch at home is just too much of a pain.

What the BBC should do is jack the price up to pay for encryption that the free loaders can't get round & bring in all the other TV companies too by giving them a share.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure