TalkTalk overcharge?

Options
Beenie
Beenie Posts: 1,632 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
My mother has decided to have her phone disconnected. I could not understand why she would want to do this until I saw her monthly bill yesterday.

She is 82 years old, lives alone with mild dementia, and does not have (and never has had) a computer. However, TalkTalk are charging her a monthly fee for broadband access on top of the phone line rental. They also charge her for a paper bill (instead of what would be free online - because she hasn't got a computer) and 30p a minute for calls. To cut to the chase, of her monthly bill of around £38, only £2.50 is for calls (she makes one call a week to me) and the rest is charges.

I am very angry about this. She has had her phone disconnected because she is worried about the bill, but she lives alone and the phone is her lifeline for any emergencies. She doesn't want me to make enquiries on her behalf because she fears the phone being re-connected and the big bills coming back. She is on state pension with no other source of income and £38 a month is a lot for her.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do about this/make a complaint to?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Start by finding out what she has signed up for .
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She doesn't know - she has dementia. But it's obvious from her usage that she hasn't got a computer so TalkTalk must have realised by now that broadband is useless for such a customer.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is it expensive ? You are talking of £1 a day.

Have you POA for her that would enable you to talk to TalkTalk ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Robin9
    Options
    Is this the tip of the iceberg?

What about her gas, electric, insurance ? Is this getting all her benefits ?

Time for you to get involved .
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately Talktalk do not know your mum's situation and won't be checking everyone's usage, unless it is excessive.

Perhaps a PAYG mobile would be better with you calling her , as that would cost peanuts and you could check on her every day.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 May 2017 at 10:55PM
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    She doesn't know - she has dementia. But it's obvious from her usage that she hasn't got a computer so TalkTalk must have realised by now that broadband is useless for such a customer.

Yes, but you can find out by looking at her paper bills! TT have no idea whether your mum has a PC or not, the fact that she doesn't use the service doesn't make it their fault that the service is provided. You are also ignoring the fact that about £19 of that charge is for line rental, which she would have to pay with or without broadband, and also that TT no longer offer phone only-all tariffs now include broadband.
    My main concern in this situation is that if she is still in minimum term and has cancelled, then she will be hit with a large early termination charge on her final bill-so you do need to get a handle on this urgently if the disconnection has not yet gone through. A basic line rental and anytime calls package will cost around £25-30pm with most providers, including TT. If she is on an older legacy package then get her moved to a better deal.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would be calling Talktalk and explaining the situation to them, if no-one can help ask to speak to a supervisor. If you don't tell them they won't be in any position to sort it. I wouldn't start by saying you are complaining, ask them for help

They were helpful when I had to phone them earlier this year and had made a genuine mistake- had 2 huge bills. They paid half.

I've just renewed my contract with them today and muttered how it was so much more expensive than current special deals with BT & Sky. Got it down to £18.75 pm- broadband, line rental, anytime calls.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Robin9
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    I would be calling Talktalk and explaining the situation to them, if no-one can help ask to speak to a supervisor.

Beenie unless have you POA (as my earlier post) Talktalk wont talk to you
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get a power of attorney setup now, would be easier in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure