Free 3 year hobbies.

Options
Just interested to know who else would not be happy about paying extra tax so that some people could do their hobbies for free for 3 years? Or for tax payers to pay for a 3 year "experience?" I thought you went to a theme park for an experience not to a university?

Just contemplating the idea of free university fees. Hobby courses that used to be evening class type courses include, sports, performing arts, media studies, ceramics ( pots), fashion, journalism, creative writing, film studies etc. All the other young people who haven't done hobby courses or had an "experience" will be expected to fund all these hobbies out of higher taxes.

Who is going to check the quality of the free hobby courses? Who is going to check how many hobby courses are being run at taxpayers expense?

Comments

• ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow, who's bitter. Did you not get the grades to go to Uni yourself?
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Who is going to check the quality of the free hobby courses? Who is going to check how many hobby courses are being run at taxpayers expense?

Why don't you do this then come back and tell us? I'm sure we'd all be riveted!
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You do realise that all the courses you mention have been around for 30+ years, long pre-dating the introduction of tuition fees.
  • philatio
    philatio Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Obviously one of those who thinks everything was better in the 50s... except those things that they conveniently forget about.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    There's a chap by the name of Lewis who became a multimillionaire on the back of his studies in Journalism.

Not bad for a "hobby"!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought a lot of the 'Mickey Mouse' degrees were axed a few years ago.

It may be thought snobbish, but the status of having a degree (in an academic subject) is somewhat reduced, when someone who has a degree in boxing (the kind involving punching ) or the like, joins the 'club'.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    ... when someone who has a degree in boxing (the kind involving punching ) or the like, joins the 'club'.

You can do surfing at Plymouth

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/fdsc-surf-science-and-technology

One of the core modules is: "Surf Practice".
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    You can do surfing at Plymouth

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/fdsc-surf-science-and-technology

One of the core modules is: "Surf Practice".

It's a very niche topic/ industry, but looking at the syllabus it's certainly not an easy option and it offers a skill set that would transfer into various business environments.

I wouldn't call that a mickey mouse degree. I wouldn't criticise any subject without looking at the course content.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I imagine 'hobby' degrees probably lead to employment more than many traditional academic degrees. There is an arts college near me that offers degrees in subjects such as fashion and ceramics. The majority of students do go on and work in those industries.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    It's a very niche topic/ industry, but looking at the syllabus it's certainly not an easy option and it offers a skill set that would transfer into various business environments.

I wouldn't call that a mickey mouse degree. I wouldn't criticise any subject without looking at the course content.

Much like the infamous degree in David Beckham studies is actually one module in a unit on branding that uses David Beckham as a (successful) branding case study
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure