The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Sickness details and application forms

2»

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    They could. But then you could take them to a tribunal and they would have to prove that the decision was not discrimination. And I hope nobody hands in their notice without a confirmed job offer!

OP this boat has sailed. In future, if asked, you leave the section blank. What they don't read they can't pay attention to and if your application is good enough for the job you'll get an interview. I know lots of people who do this and it has never been a problem. What you don't do is pick a fight about it not being a question they can ask. just don't answer it.

If only that were true!

Sadly, if an employer flouts the rules and ask the question a blank answer will almost certainly be treated as having something to hide.

It is wrong but very very difficult to prove.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    If only that were true!

Sadly, if an employer flouts the rules and ask the question a blank answer will almost certainly be treated as having something to hide.

It is wrong but very very difficult to prove.
    Not my experience of the matter, but of course that might happen with some employers. But if you have something to put on there that toy think will put them off anyway, then a risk worth taking?
  • pug_in_a_bed
    pug_in_a_bed Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Just thought I would update. I got in touch with the Equality & Human Rights Commission, who have agreed it does not appear to be a legal use of those questions. They have asked me to send all the paperwork and emails including the letter advising me I hadn't been shortlisted. So we'll see what comes of it. They were very helpful.
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 881
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have left out a similar section blank and I got offered the job even after when asked why I hadn't completed the form I just said oh sorry I had assumed you had sent me an old application in error. I declined the job offer as got a better one at same time as the application form put me off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure