Second job boss messing me around

Hi guys,

I'm equal parts upset and angry about this. I recently took on a second job in order to pay off my debt before the no interest period hits. I just want to get it all sorted before interest hits and it snowballs.

My current employer doesn't pay enough after I have paid for all my bills so I was happy to take on extra work just to tackle the problem.

I contacted a pub about a job advert they had asking them what kind of hours they needed someone to work as I needed ideally weekday evenings and I could work Sunday (their busiest day). The rest of the time I can't as I already have a full time 9-5 job. They gave me a call and asked me to come in for an interview. Great, ball is rolling.

I go in for the interview and they ask me if I'd be happy working weekends. I reiterated I can work Sunday as I need Saturday off to ensure I have at least one full day off a week. I was told this was okay.

Very first shift, I'm asked to come in on a Friday. It gets to Friday morning and they last minute ask me to come in and work Saturday. To which I agreed and told them it was a one off as I had the time that weekend (and I wanted to make a good impression). She then also asked me to do Sunday and I accepted for the same reasons. So I worked everyday that week. I was exhausted.

After that, she asked me to work Saturday and Sunday again. I reminded her I had asked for weekday evenings and also that I had already stated me working last Saturday was a one off. She begged me to do Saturday again as another one off and then after that I would be working weekday evenings. I reluctantly agreed and insisted this had to be the last time though.

So I work the Saturday, and they send me home 2 hours into the shift as it's dead. So I made probably enough money after tax to cover the petrol used to get there. I checked the rota before leaving and noticed, despite her telling me no more, she had scheduled me for every Saturday going forwards.

I raised this with her the next day and was met with "I'm on holiday now. Speak to other manager". Basically, not her problem anymore. I spoke to the other manager who said he has no control over hours and I would need to wait for her to come back from holiday. I apologised and explained I would not be coming in for the next two Saturdays until she was back as I had made it clear to her that I couldn't work those days. The other manager understood and was very nice about the situation.

Upon her return, I messaged her and she agreed that I could work Mondays Tuesday and Sunday going forwards. I agreed. Days were perfect for me and enough hours that I can make an extra £500 a month which would have my debt paid off in 6 months. Finally I can relax. I work Monday, Tuesday and Sunday. Sunday just as I'm leaving I notice on the schedule I'm scheduled for next Sunday only. I get home and asked her about it. She told me to call her. On the phone call she basically said I had assumed I could work Monday Tuesdays and Sundays. She advised it's not possible to give me weekdays and she never wold have said that at the interview and she insisted I had said I could work weekends. I advised her I had said I could work Sunday but I work a 9-5 job Monday to Friday, the hours of which I can't change, so I would not have agreed to have worked full weekends only as it would mean I would never have a break any day of the week. I also tried to tell her I had not made any assumptions as I had her text where she had clearly stated Monday Tuesday and Sunday would be my hours going forwards, but she shouted over me again and just kept referring back to me having to complete my e-learning.

This is all not even mentioning that the shifts I have worked, a supervisor/manager is almost never present so when the bar is quiet I don't know what I am supposed to be doing. she has accused me of standing around not doing anything on her time, and has shouted and sworn at me infront of colleagues, but then seconds later admitted I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.

I just feel like I'm being taken advantage of and bullied by the manager. I have been desperately looking for another job that will actually accommodate my hours but I can't find anywhere that works for me. The jobs I have found that finish around 9/10 need me to start at 5:30pm but I don't get out of my first job til then and I can't go back to just paying what I can from my regular income (£100 a month paying off).

I'm stuck in a hole here. I would love to tell the manager where she can stick it after messing me about and being horrible to me, but I'm holding on the hope that she will give me the hours I need and stick to it. What do I do? :(
(Sorry for the length but I feel like it was important to give the details)

Comments

• Gt125 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm equal parts upset and angry about this. I recently took on a second job in order to pay off my debt before the no interest period hits. I just want to get it all sorted before interest hits and it snowballs.

My current employer doesn't pay enough after I have paid for all my bills so I was happy to take on extra work just to tackle the problem.

I contacted a pub about a job advert they had asking them what kind of hours they needed someone to work as I needed ideally weekday evenings and I could work Sunday (their busiest day). The rest of the time I can't as I already have a full time 9-5 job. They gave me a call and asked me to come in for an interview. Great, ball is rolling.

I go in for the interview and they ask me if I'd be happy working weekends. I reiterated I can work Sunday as I need Saturday off to ensure I have at least one full day off a week. I was told this was okay.

Very first shift, I'm asked to come in on a Friday. It gets to Friday morning and they last minute ask me to come in and work Saturday. To which I agreed and told them it was a one off as I had the time that weekend (and I wanted to make a good impression). She then also asked me to do Sunday and I accepted for the same reasons. So I worked everyday that week. I was exhausted.

After that, she asked me to work Saturday and Sunday again. I reminded her I had asked for weekday evenings and also that I had already stated me working last Saturday was a one off. She begged me to do Saturday again as another one off and then after that I would be working weekday evenings. I reluctantly agreed and insisted this had to be the last time though.

So I work the Saturday, and they send me home 2 hours into the shift as it's dead. So I made probably enough money after tax to cover the petrol used to get there. I checked the rota before leaving and noticed, despite her telling me no more, she had scheduled me for every Saturday going forwards.

I raised this with her the next day and was met with "I'm on holiday now. Speak to other manager". Basically, not her problem anymore. I spoke to the other manager who said he has no control over hours and I would need to wait for her to come back from holiday. I apologised and explained I would not be coming in for the next two Saturdays until she was back as I had made it clear to her that I couldn't work those days. The other manager understood and was very nice about the situation.

Upon her return, I messaged her and she agreed that I could work Mondays Tuesday and Sunday going forwards. I agreed. Days were perfect for me and enough hours that I can make an extra £500 a month which would have my debt paid off in 6 months. Finally I can relax. I work Monday, Tuesday and Sunday. Sunday just as I'm leaving I notice on the schedule I'm scheduled for next Sunday only. I get home and asked her about it. She told me to call her. On the phone call she basically said I had assumed I could work Monday Tuesdays and Sundays. She advised it's not possible to give me weekdays and she never wold have said that at the interview and she insisted I had said I could work weekends. I advised her I had said I could work Sunday but I work a 9-5 job Monday to Friday, the hours of which I can't change, so I would not have agreed to have worked full weekends only as it would mean I would never have a break any day of the week. I also tried to tell her I had not made any assumptions as I had her text where she had clearly stated Monday Tuesday and Sunday would be my hours going forwards, but she shouted over me again and just kept referring back to me having to complete my e-learning.

This is all not even mentioning that the shifts I have worked, a supervisor/manager is almost never present so when the bar is quiet I don't know what I am supposed to be doing. she has accused me of standing around not doing anything on her time, and has shouted and sworn at me infront of colleagues, but then seconds later admitted I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.

I just feel like I'm being taken advantage of and bullied by the manager. I have been desperately looking for another job that will actually accommodate my hours but I can't find anywhere that works for me. The jobs I have found that finish around 9/10 need me to start at 5:30pm but I don't get out of my first job til then and I can't go back to just paying what I can from my regular income (£100 a month paying off).

I'm stuck in a hole here. I would love to tell the manager where she can stick it after messing me about and being horrible to me, but I'm holding on the hope that she will give me the hours I need and stick to it. What do I do? :(
    (Sorry for the length but I feel like it was important to give the details)

You know she won't do that, don't you? She wants staff at the weekend. Unless she is let down by someone who currently works weekday evenings and nobody else ahead of you in her favour is available, you are only going to get weekend shifts.

Is the debt you are paying off on a credit card? If so, have you tried getting another with a 0% offer of whatever length?

Try a pub nearer your home, so you don't need to spend money on transport costs? You don't have to wait for them to advertise.
  • Gt125
    Gt125 Posts: 18 Forumite
    You know she won't do that, don't you? She wants staff at the weekend. Unless she is let down by someone who currently works weekday evenings and nobody else ahead of you in her favour is available, you are only going to get weekend shifts.

Is the debt you are paying off on a credit card? If so, have you tried getting another with a 0% offer of whatever length?

Try a pub nearer your home, so you don't need to spend money on transport costs? You don't have to wait for them to advertise.

That's what I figured but so in that case she shouldn't keep telling me she can do weekday shifts for me if she can't. She's lying to me to get me to stick around to her benefit and her benefit only. This one is pretty close to home, only a 10 minute drive. But I don't use my car for anything else as I live a 2 minute walk from the train station and 5 minutes from supermarket.

Yes it's for a credit card. This one was a 0% interest card. I hadn't used it for almost a year and then had some troubles and had to use it and have about £4700 debt that needs paying off by Jan 2021.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,600 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Gt125 wrote: »
    That's what I figured but so in that case she shouldn't keep telling me she can do weekday shifts for me if she can't. She's lying to me to get me to stick around to her benefit and her benefit only. This one is pretty close to home, only a 10 minute drive. But I don't use my car for anything else as I live a 2 minute walk from the train station and 5 minutes from supermarket.

That's how the world works, I'm afraid. Given how little you use your car, why not sell that to help pay off your debt?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  

Yes it's for a credit card. This one was a 0% interest card. I hadn't used it for almost a year and then had some troubles and had to use it and have about £4700 debt that needs paying off by Jan 2021.

2021 or 2020? Have you tried applying for another 0% card so that you can transfer balance out to the new one?
  • Gt125
    2021 or 2020? Have you tried applying for another 0% card so that you can transfer balance out to the new one?

I'm not really so sure that would help. May have to be a last resort thing if it gets closer to the interest free period ending but I really would like to just try and get rid of it.
  • Gt125
    Marcon wrote: »
    That's how the world works, I'm afraid. Given how little you use your car, why not sell that to help pay off your debt?

I have thought about that but the evaluation I got wouldn't even really scratch the surface of the debt so just better to hang on to it for when I do need to use it, as although I don't use it daily, I still do use it to travel to and from my parents sometimes and to attend events across the country.

I pay very little on insurance aswell.

Looks like I might have to tell her it isn't going to work then. I wish I had some marketable skills so I could do some commission work from home for extra money here and there but unfortunately I haven't been blessed with a gift lol
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    All the major retailers are taking on Christmas staff at the moment, I can't promise any will offer weekday evenings and Sundays only, but it could be worth investigating.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    All the major retailers are taking on Christmas staff at the moment, I can't promise any will offer weekday evenings and Sundays only, but it could be worth investigating.

Given that there are many people who don't work on Sundays or write of wanting to opt out, this may be most likely.
    I have thought about that but the evaluation I got wouldn't even really scratch the surface of the debt so just better to hang on to it for when I do need to use it, as although I don't use it daily, I still do use it to travel to and from my parents sometimes and to attend events across the country.

I pay very little on insurance aswell.

Looks like I might have to tell her it isn't going to work then. I wish I had some marketable skills so I could do some commission work from home for extra money here and there but unfortunately I haven't been blessed with a gift lol

If you politely insist on not being available to work Saturdays there is possibly a fraction more chance of getting weekday work. It would be showing that you are not absolutely desperate.

Does she know specifically the reason why you are seeking extra income - that is that it is to clear a debt rather than simply to have a larger income. She may feel she has more hold over you in the former than the latter situation.
  • Have a look at the debt free wanabee board.

prepare a statement of affairs and see what expenditure is necessary and what is a nice to have.

Cut the nice to have expenditure to the bare minimum and see if you can get the necessary expenditure cheaper.

Throw any money saved at the debt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport