Have people stopped buying?

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    All comes down to the price and the search experience and for me ebay is lacking on both fronts.

Today searched for an item, plenty of Chinese sellers with 2week+ delivery times listed at £4.25. Select UK only and you get the same sellers showing 8 day delivery instead of 14, i get the feeling its still going to be 2weeks+ and a couple of £ premium.

First genuine UK seller with a 3 day estimate delivery wants £13.99 + £2.75 postage for the same item. To me that's excessive and i doubt they will sell many, good luck to them selling 50 they show in stock.

Especially when i can get it on prime next day for £11.99.

And whats with the new and refurbished??? Anyone fancy some refurbished Sellotape?
    Ebay's consistently had problems with new things being added on before old ones were sorted out.

I've only recently returned to selling on Ebay and I probably run at about a fiftieth of what I sell on Amazon. I'll persevere a bit more and see how it goes until Christmas but compared to Amazon it really isn't worth my time and effort.

I spoke to a (non Amazon) fulfillment centre recently and he said that they largely expect Amazon sellers to sell 20-30 times stock on Amazon compared to Ebay. That's very much a believable statistic. If you've got a product range and a brand Amazon make it really easy, Ebay don't.

As far as sales go, this past week is, in general, one of the worst sales weeks of the year in the UK. In most cases they aren't going to pick up too much until late August. So I'm having a few days off and prepping for Christmas (actually during my days off, but that's another story!).
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What are your search results like for your own stuff? Not logged in or get someone you know to search for your items. Do they show?

I find the "we have hidden some results" to mean we have hidden the item you want because we would prefer you to buy something different from one of these sellers.

Not sold anything on ebay for a while. Too much effort. Everyone wants a lifetime warranty and like me they want it for pennies :)

Pay pennies or have a warranty..
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• LadyDee wrote: »
    I've become so disillusioned by Ebay - pages of tat that claim to be in the UK but aren't. Pages of the same widget listed with one word (or even one letter) changed.

Secondhand junk being sold for prices either more, the same or just a smidgeon below brand new prices.

Stuff listed in the wrong categories so you can't really eliminate stuff you aren't interested in.

Sellers that can't be bothered to give full/proper measurements, etc., etc. etc.

Poor photographs.

I invariably find anything new that I want at lower prices elsewhere.

Agree with all of that.

I'll add a few recentish changes ebay have made which annoy me:
    • They're phasing out the ability to filter by private sellers only (it works on desktop view on my mobile, but not on standard mobile view or in my desktop browser)
    • Ebay searches automatically choosing specific listing categories when I want to search all listings
    • If you click on a complete listing you're taken to an unrelated listing and have to click a second link from there to view what you wanted to see in the first place

...and my number 1 seller pet peeve:
    Sellers who won't combine postage costs for multiple purchases.

To the OP - what type of items are you selling out of interest?
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    RFW wrote: »
    Do you only buy from places where you can sell from?

Partly, yes but my former eBay sales kept my Paypal account topped up so I could buy stuff and pay via Paypal.

Since I no longer sell on eBay, it's easier for me to buy from Amazon or other sites via credit card.

I would have to really want something to mess about going via Paypal to buy it off eBay.
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Enigmatic_Me Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Take a read of the "business seller forum" in the community. Some shocking stories in there of how sellers are treated coupled with the huge number of recent glitches in Ebay it is simply unbelievable.

Many business sellers including myself have noticed sales these last couple of months have been been absolutely dire. We are not getting the views, not appearing in searches and nobody at Ebay can tell us why. Ebay are playing around so much just now with their systems they are becoming unworkable.

I also have a private account which has always been successful for selling my unwanted goods. Tried to sell some items of branded clothing in brand new condition and failed to sell one. Some of the items did not even get any views in the 7 day listings.

Ebay needs a good competitor to come up with a product of what Ebay used to be like before greed took over.
    The best things in life are free.....
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ebay needs a block sellers option, so that buyers aren't inundated with the fake/overseas-fronted sellers; when I search for something I spend more time adding excludes to the search to try and get rid of the dross.
  • To add some balance, I work part time selling on ebay alongside a part time "regular job". My turnover the last year has been far more than previous years, yes ebay has changed and there are a lot of issues however it is still possible to have reasonable sales.

I'm currently turning over about £4k per month, obviously that isn't massive and is total so not all is profit but the items have a decent margin, around 25-30% after fees and postage, and I keep adding listings so the sales are building month on month.

What I realised is that trying to sell in a flooded market is pointless, you never even get seen. Anything that can be just bought from China and sold as is, that is pointless, everyone is doing it and now even the Chinese sellers are opening warehouses in the UK to do it. or pretending they are in the UK and setting long dispatch times. Then there are the issues with "multi-item" listings, where they all show 99p and that is for a different item which plagues the search results.

You can sell if you differentiate yourself - I started a lot of my listings when I couldn't find spare parts for an item and I spent a lot of time looking for a compatible spare, whether that is from a manufacturer of a similar item or a generic item that I found would fit and work. Then I turned lots of these "finds" into listings on ebay, offering spares where there otherwise was no spare available (unless you hunt like I did).

I enjoy the hunt for a compatible item and taking things apart so its basically a hobby that has turned into a part time job. I am nervous of turning it into a full time job as we all know that ebay can change their policies or just take a dislike to you and sales could drop, however at the moment part time seems to work.

What I have found is that I get a lot more sales when I am a "Top Rated Seller" so i've tried to be realistic with dispatch and postage times (sometimes setting them to a longer service than I actually use, as ebays estimates are usually tight) and I now take Royal Mail items directly to a sorting office around midday so i'm cutting out the time for them to be collected from the post office - this gets me very good feedback on delivery times, even 2nd class often arrives the next day.

I just wanted to show that its not all doom and gloom - everything changes over time, if its not ebay changing then it can be other sellers crowding your market or Chinese sellers cutting you out - more a case of "who moved my cheese".

Thanks.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,583 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 July 2018 at 10:50AM
    Lot of reasons for this, UK consumers aren't happy go lucky, spend, spend, spend. Food and fuel is expensive, 50,000 high street retail jobs already/to be lost this year, scaremongering headlines about Brexit, tax at it's highest levels for many years.

Amazon is fast taking over, Prime offering digital books, music and film, cloud storage, free next day delivery and a host of other stuff. They have tablets, readers and talking speakers. Although prices have gone up on Amazon in certain markets as competition is dying away generally they have the scale to be cheap. I read the other day Amazon has just shy of 50% of the eCommerce market in the US.

For years sellers have been dropshipping eBay orders from Amazon which must have driven a lot of customers in to Amazon's arms, eBay's site is a mess and they haven't had a steady focus on what they want to actually be for years. Lots of tat and fake rubbish with good sellers pushed out by buyers saving 4 pennies to wait 2 weeks for the same thing to come from China.

Tastes are changing as well, technology is big, porcelain cats are not... People seem to want less clutter these days and there are other places to get rid of it, Facebook for example (I know it has it's downsides but it's free).

As another poster above says, as eBay have pushed sellers out over the years those people stopped using eBay for various reasons. Even with 2D delivery confirmation I bet a fair few people don't bother with eBay now as they can no longer claim half their orders didn't arrive.

Nice weather, lots of sport, people out and about, eating, drinking, spending money.

None of it makes for a good time time selling on eBay.

I still shop on eBay and find plenty of things that either aren't on Amazon or are cheaper (from UK sellers), I have Prime but am happy to wait a couple of days for something that isn't urgent if the price is decent and on the plus side less money handed over to Amazon.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have had a poor few months but the past week has been exceptionally good. It seemed to start picking up after the World Cup and then it went bang on Saturday.

No doubt it will slow down again, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MidlandsGlory
    MidlandsGlory Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I would feel more confident if the feedback system meant anything.

I left a neutral the other day for something, something I rarely do but the item had a possible safety issue and the sellers chosen courier was lousy causing me a lot of hassle.
    Comment was polite and not too scathing.

But its a top rated seller so it was soon erased, !!!!!!! as if it never existed.

Looking at the very few that made it through against the seller over the year, it seems your only chance is something like 'Don't like the chair, its feels really uncomfortable' which would be hard to contest I suppose, no doubt the seller would still try and claim 500 people didn't complain so it must be comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure