PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Made it to the discount food store today - oops! That's another £5 spent.
    £3 on 30 bags of sweets (the ones I bought last week have been going at an average of 1 bag per day, so what I have now should see me into June - especially as I've a week away and 2 nights with a young visitor at mine around that week, and I won't have then), £1 on 3 more tins of creamed mushrooms (decided worth getting in, as mushroom pasta will go with sausages or fish or chicken, or it'll probably go with a filled pasta and I have a couple of packs of that to use as well), and £1 on 3 packs of super soft corn tortillas (too good a deal to miss when I've none in for making enchilladas or fajitas).

Then I checked my shopping app to see if there were any new deals (espcially freebies) at Asd@ as I pass there to get to my car. No, but there were 'free' bottles of squash and a yoghurt at Tesc0. As we need squash for when we take the girls away I did a small detour on the way home and got those items - £5.40 that I'm not adding to spends as the money will come back to me (I'd never normally dream of paying £2.20 for an 850ml bottle of squash or £1 for a yoghurt :eek: ). Also picked up 2 jars of pasta sauce to have with the meatballs I picked up free yesterday as I'll use half a jar each time. So that's a £1.50 spend to account for.

Spends now at £11.97 / £120, but I'm getting very well stocked up for the month :)
    Cheryl
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 May 2018 at 1:19AM
    Happy late Thursday night everyone. It’s practically Friday now; hang in there! I have a few spends to record for the past few days. On April 30th I had an unusually high spend but decided to keep it April’s budget and try not to buy anything this week. Then I wanted to use up some chicken thighs in the freezer and an odd craving to make a b*stardiized paella hit me...so there went some money.

€3.09 at beauty store for my favourite deodorant - May 2.

€2.75 at Delhaize for chorizo - May 2.

€6.64 at another grocery store for pork belly and a bottle of powdered saffron, both for the paella - May 2. I figured what the hey? on the saffron even though it cost €4.14. I haven’t bought saffron in about 10 years. This should last me a while.

€19.76 at Delhaize on May 3. This was for bananas, blue cheese, strawberries, OH’s smoothies, canned tomatoes, and 2 for 1 on cooked shrimp (saved me €4.45).

TOTALS SO FAR:
    €32.24 / €400.00
    1 / 10 NSD

The paella made a lot and after eating my fill, I packaged up the majority of it to put into the freezer for later. There’s one large portion in the fridge for lunch over the next couple of days. I was just itching to try something new and cobbled together a recipe from other ones. I’ll post a picture later after I figure out a way to upload it somewhere.

On a different note, turns out it’s 2 for 1 week at Delhaize. They have large 500g buckets of blueberries that are usually €7.99 each but are 2 for 1 until May 9th. I’ll return in the next couple of days to get two tubs. We can use them with Greek yoghurt, for smoothies, and just plain eatin’.

Tomorrow I’m also going to do a bulk online order for my favourite deodorant and some laundry stuff. That should come to about €28.00. So, in total, I foresee myself spending another €35 - €40 this week and that should be enough come Saturday. Our fridge is so full! I need to meal plan to ensure nothing goes to waste.
  • JingsMyBucket
    AsherBat wrote: »
    If you know you're only short one aubergine, does that mean you've fully meal planned yuntil mid month? Would you mind sharing your plans here or in the meal prepping and planning thread?

Which one is the (main) meal planning and prepping thread? There are so many. I wouldn’t mind having some inspiration either. :)
  • JingsMyBucket
    edited 4 May 2018 at 2:09PM
    Just spent €35.64 for an online order that will yield me 1 year's supply of my favourite deodorant and about 4 months' worth of Dettol laundry freshener.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    €67.88 / €400.00
    1 / 10 NSD

When I go collect it at the pick up point in a Delhaize tomorrow I'll also buy the two tubs blueberries that are on sale 2 for 1.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £32 today so total so far is £38/£120

• pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Had a Waitrose delivery this morning - first shop of the month - which came to £74.92, so £225.08/£300 left in the grocery budget for May :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Since last post we've spent £22.12 more. I'll be honest and say a good amount was not really needed :o. Still it will all get eaten so oh well.

£38.68/£155.
    £116.32 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    taka wrote: »
    Really need to meal plan... erm... AND stick to it! :o :rotfl:

I have the same issue :o:D Really going to try and stick to it this month, though :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,761 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm hopeless at keeping receipts and adding them up so I'm going to work in reverse and calculate what I've spent by what I transfer to savings. This week I added £10 to the savings purse so that means I have spent £60 (there were some coins also left in my purse but I just leave them there for the following week).
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks Thriftwizard that's really good to know. I seem to forgot if I don't post almost straight away.

Jingsmybucket - can I ask how much saffron you got for that price. I've just bought a small 0.4g jar from Sainsbugs for £2.10. Making Paella tonight too :D

So another £16.20 spent, on paella ingredients. Seems like a lot I know but it makes a lot and is a lovely meal.

Current Totals: £104.94/300
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport