Great Free Things to Do With The Kids Hunt

Comments

• morlandbanks
    morlandbanks Posts: 261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The museum at Harlow is really good during the school holidays. There is always some kind of activity on offer...And it's all free! Perfect place to picnic too as there are lovely grounds. Go to https://www.Harlow.gov.uk for loads of information on all kinds of things going on this summer.
    Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Mahatma Gandhi
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Some really good ideas there queenie. ta very much :)
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • ayla261
    ayla261 Posts: 450 Forumite
    now don't think i'm a terrible mother but how about chores? i find the holidays a great time to give the twins a list of things that need to be done in the house, when 5 have been completed they either get 50p to take to the shop or a small reward from our magic cupboard ( stocked with bootfair & cheap ebay goodies) they are happy to get a treat and feel like they've helped whilst i'm happier as house is bit tidier
    This time next year Rodney... :D
  • SamMoffatt28
    SamMoffatt28 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Come to lovely Lancaster!! click here for more details

Maritime museum ~ free
    Judges lodgings ~ Free
    Lancaster museum ~ Free
    Lancaster Castle ~ Not free but makes a very interesting afternoon, loads of history!
    Lancaster canal ~ free walks or canal boat rides (not free)
    River Lune ~ Lovely country walks
    Carnforth station & steam town about 10 miles from Lancaster ~ Free(setting for the film Brief Encounter)
    Clean safe beaches at Morecambe, Hest Bank, Bolton le Sands & Silverdale
    All very close to Lake district with the most breathtaking views and wonderful mountain walks
    So much more that I could not even mention it all. Why not click on the link above and get a brochure!!
    Sam
  • scottishf
    scottishf Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    anthing in the GLasgow area?
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Come to lovely Lancaster!! click here for more details

Maritime museum ~ free
    Judges lodgings ~ Free
    Lancaster museum ~ Free
    Lancaster Castle ~ Not free but makes a very interesting afternoon, loads of history!
    Lancaster canal ~ free walks or canal boat rides (not free)
    River Lune ~ Lovely country walks
    Carnforth station & steam town about 10 miles from Lancaster ~ Free(setting for the film Brief Encounter)
    Clean safe beaches at Morecambe, Hest Bank, Bolton le Sands & Silverdale
    All very close to Lake district with the most breathtaking views and wonderful mountain walks
    So much more that I could not even mention it all. Why not click on the link above and get a brochure!!

You forgot Williamson Park, and if you go a bit further up the canal, you can ride the water witch from crooklands for free at the weekends.

I was also surpirsed by what was at the carnforth station visitors centre, lots to do...

GD
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • tw1nklestar
    tw1nklestar Posts: 294 Forumite
    18th - 20th august is northampton balloon festival - free entry and a cheap park and ride service. Lots of nice stalls to wander round and lots of freebies to be had - local bands playing and even shows for kids. If u have some spare cash there are some rides. Heres hoping for nice weather cos i will be there with my small cool bag (filled with wine - mse'ers cant afford beer tent prices lol) - A great family day out :)
    olympic challenge starting 7/1/07:j
  • nikiyoung
    nikiyoung Posts: 576 Forumite
    Princessa wrote:
    http://www.alnwickcastle.com/index.php

We went here last Summer, I don't know if they charge now but it was free then. It's got lovely gardens to have a walk around, and it's also where they filmed Harry Potter (it's hogwarts!) so fun for the kids (and why I went, lol!)
    Thanks for the advice we went at the weekend with my sister and her kids.
    £8.00 per adult (kids free) to get into the gardens (they were on tv showing how it was done ages ago) plus £8 per adult for the castle. we only did the gardens which were fab would realy recomend (slightly dificult with a buggy to get to the top of the waterfall as it wasn't signposted). The kids (aged 3,4,5,6) had a great time. the poision garden makes you a bit jumpy of everything in your garden!
    Thanks for advice
    Whilst we were away we went to Markeaton Park (SP?) in Blyth kids loved it loads for them to do.
    And also the Discovery museum in Newcastle (FOC) is great for a wet afternoon!!
    Niki
    :wave:
  • ayla261
    ayla261 Posts: 450 Forumite
    jap200 wrote:
    Anyone who lives in or near Kent, or is planning to spend some time there in the summer, must try and visit the Lower Leas Coastal Park in Folkstone.

http://www.thisisfolkestone.co.uk/coastalpark.htm

QUOTE]

:T thanks for this, we went last saturday for my birthday, it was great, the twins played in peace for nearly three hours!! :D made my day
    This time next year Rodney... :D
  • across
    across Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    dont forget your local sure start centre if there is one where you live there is plenty of free activities going on every day ours has a different theme every week eg finding nemo, peterpan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure