Desperate Pensioner V BT Machine.

Options
Geoff1228
Geoff1228 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 3 May 2018 at 7:38AM in Phones & TV
Can anybody help me I am having similar problems to many people who have posted on these pages. I am being charged for a broadband service that I do not have with BT, its now with John Lewis. This has been going on now for nearly 3 months and I can not get any sense out of the customer service people. All I get from them is that the problem will be sorted out in the next bill but it never is. I've raised a complaint and was told I would be contacted within 24 to 48 hours and they have not done so. I can not afford pay nearly a £100 for a service I am not getting Can any body help me to sort out this nightmare.

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you made the formal complaint more than eight weeks ago and it remains unresolved, you can ask for a deadlock letter and go to the ombudsman and they must give one to you. They can optionally give one to you before that.

When I raised a complaint through my account on the BT website (over my phone service, they were billing me for calls I had not made), they called me within a week and it was resolved.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Geoff1228
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Ono,
    This problem has been going on for about 6 months now and to be honest I don't want to have to wait another eight weeks if I can help it. I just want to be in a position to move away from BT altogether. Whenever I speak to BT customer service they agree with me and say the problem has been passed on the the right department now and it will be resolved. But it is not dealt with. Why can't they do what they say they will do.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could try the BT Community forum

https://community.bt.com

They have moderators who have a very good track record of sorting out problems if you can catch their eye.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Geoff1228 wrote: »
    This has been going on now for nearly 3 months
    This problem has been going on for about 6 months now and to be honest I don't want to have to wait another eight weeks if I can help it.

Is it 3 months or 6? Have you put in a formal complaint (the 8 weeks will start from when you put this in).
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ring up , answer the question "what are you phoning about " with just the word "complaint"

Get a different team
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Geoff1228
    Options
    I have had two problems which are interlinked one goes back about six months the other is as I say 3 months. I just wanted to deal with the present problem as the other one has been sorted.
  • Geoff1228
    Options
    Thanks Nea,l that sounds like a good idea I will try that later on today if there are no further developments.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a formal complaint in now so that the 8 week clock starts ticking.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May 2018 at 12:50PM
    Options
    Can anybody help me I am having similar problems to many people who have posted on these pages. I am being charged for a broadband service that I do not have with BT, its now with John Lewis. This has been going on now for nearly 3 months and I can not get any sense out of the customer service people. All I get from them is that the problem will be sorted out in the next bill but it never is. I've raised a complaint and was told I would be contacted within 24 to 48 hours and they have not done so. I can not afford pay nearly a £100 for a service I am not getting Can any body help me to sort out this nightmare.

Is your John Lewis your phone and broadband provider, or broadband only, if phone and broadband did you take your phone number to JL ?
    Is your BT bill the same as it always was ( phone and broadband or just phone or just broadband ?)
    If you migrated the service , in other words JL were responsible for the migration from BT, did you get a 'sorry to see you leave' letter or email from BT ?, that's a standard thing on migrations (and a good clue that it's a migration that was ordered and not a new line )

It's possible, that if the wrong order process was used by either you or JL and you or they effectively asked for a new line rather than a migration, then rather than fit a second line alongside the existing BT line,which is what the OR should have really have done, the Openreach engineer basically swaps over service in the exchange, leaving your BT service 'alive' but not leaving the exchange ,if that's the case , BT would be unaware that this is what the OR engineer did , and bills would obviously still be produced, until you advise them to cease the BT service, in these situations BT and OR are effectively totally separate entity's, the OR person cannot advise BT on your behalf.

A lot depends on what product was ordered ( migration or new line ) andirons a new line, what the Openreach engineer did and said, ( if you saw or spoke to one on the day)... if a migration was ordered by JL then you wouldn't have been told to stay in on the changeover date, but told everything would be done remotely (at the exchange), if a new line was ordered ( possibly with a new number ) you would have been told to be at home on the appointment day, in case an OR engineer needed to call, can you remember what you were told by JL and the OR engineer,if there was an OR engineer ?
    If it were a new line, even if you thought you were getting a migration, the onus is on you to cease the 'old' line otherwise you pay for two, even if you only have access to the one.
    There have been situations where the customer said they didn't want the second line socket alongside the existing sockets, so the engineer swaps over service but tells the customer they must contact the old provider to cease that line otherwise they will continue to get bills from the old provider until they do so.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't imagine the formal disputes process is that speedy. When I had issues with BT the quickest way to solve a problem was an email to the CEO's office.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure