MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Pete bid for Carl's amp on eBay?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 21 April 2010 at 10:30AM in MoneySaving polls
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Pete bid for Carl's amp on eBay?

Based on a true story. Cash-strapped Pete has been longing for a new guitar amp, when his mate Carl puts an old one on eBay with a £50 start price. New to eBay, Carl adds no photos & has a zero feedback rating, so buyers could be dubious. Similar second-hand amps have sold for c.£400, but no one's bid yet with one hour to go. Pete's tempted to put in a last minute bid to bag it for £50, but worries this is tight on his mate.
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    So Mick gets it for £50 and then gives his mate another £200 when he collects it. No Ebay or Paypal fees on the £200 so everyone's a winner.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I expected this question to be completely different.

I'd most likely buy it and then let them relist it with some help, although I'd offer to give them £200 which sounds reasonable to me. Up to them if they chose to except it though.
  • mesb210776
    mesb210776 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    to be fair, if he put it on ebay for £50, he must be willing to let it go for that. I would do it, it may also encourage someone else to bid too, but if not his mate's got £50 and he's got an amp.
    2019 win
    3 packets of HiLife dog food :T

2020 win(s)
    Star Wars mitre football (Beano) :j
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Better £50 than nothing, surely? I don't see the 'dilemma' here.
    poppy10
  • hlcarroll
    hlcarroll Posts: 198 Forumite
    and surely he would rather it go to his mate for £50, than a total stranger who might also bid £50 in the last minute? I know who I would rather get a total bargain!
    'Patience is a virtue till we die.
    Then a ripple in the water caught my eye'
    Mrs Jason Orange.
    Getting organized and thrifty for christmas 2010!
  • Absolutely - Pete should buy Carl's amp. This auction is open to all bidders - the amp could easily be sold to a stranger who chances on it. If Pete has worries about the transaction he can approach Carl and maybe offer him a bit more, if he really feels the sale is unfair.
  • Choppit
    Choppit Posts: 11 Forumite
    Technically the thing to do would be to let the auction run its course without placing a bid. If the item didn't sell then a transaction can be carried out outside eBay. If Pete were to bid, this could be interpreted as a shill bid and potentially lead to suspension of one or both accounts.
  • pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    Anyone nowadays can use a free snipe that only adds a bid in the last few seconds, so as theres no bids yet, it aint over till it over, so although its at 350 now it could well easily jump in the last seconds.

But i agree, you should list it at a price your willing to accecpt, i list all things i dont want to sell cheaply on buy it nows, anything small that i just want rid of gets put on for 1p.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • the dilema is that Carl is preying on his mates innocence and inexperience of ebay. if he was a proper mate he'd offer him a decent price off ebay and get him to pull the auction early.

Taking it for £50 off him is no way to treat a mate. i'm glad i don't have some of you lot for mates!
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    i woudnt bid cause if you knew the apps worth more than thats mean id let it brun its course then help him re sell it better
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure