Great ‘Hair MoneySaving’ Hunt

Options

Comments

• fedupfreda
    fedupfreda Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    Cut your own hair. I've been doing this for years. I have shoulder length layered hair and after a few mistakes I quickly learnt how to do it. Now I can cut my hair at my convenience, at no cost, how often I like.

Suggestion - get a good book from the library first, I got 'haircutting for dummies'. This has a useful section on how to cut your own hair as well as teaching you to cut everyone elses hair. (BTW I also cut my 2 sons and my Husbands hair!) Get a good set of clippers and stick to simple crew cuts for boys. Luckily the boys are of an age where they will tolerate having mum cut their hair.

I dread to think how much I must have saved over the years - estimate £7 for each of the boys, £10 for my Husband and £20 for a wet cut for me, every 2 months, comes to £44 for 2 months, over the course of 8 years this comes to a grand total of £2112 :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    SMILE....they will wonder what you are up to...........;)
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2009 at 9:44AM
    Options
    karenx wrote: »
    So does coconut oil really work?
    My hair is bleached white and while the majority of it is in great condition then ends are a bit dry and horrid looking. Even after getting a wee trim it goes dry again after a while. I use sebastian shampoo and conditioner, they are £10 each but I need really decent stuff as I have extensions too. I used aussie before I got extensions and it was truly amazing but it doesnt work on my extensions :(
    I also do my own coloring at home so I save loads on that! I need my roots done every 4 weeks and at the hairdressers that was about £50 a time. Now I spend about £30 in sallys for all the stuff and that lasts me about a year!!
    I need to get my extensions redone every 3 months so when I get them taken out I get a small trim :)

It has worked for me. It makes my hair feel stronger. If your ends are split and very dry you need to have a trim then use the coconut oil to prevent it getting damaged. TBH I have bleached my hair to death and cannot get it to grow below the neck. I have stopped bleaching and straightening whilst I grow it. If coconut oil doesn't work for you try Henna Wax treatment. Its very cheap and works.

Am thinking of doing the conditioner only wash. Apparently the cheaper the conditioner the better as it won't leave a build up on the hair like the pricier ones do. Anyone tried this?
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Options
    Awsome, Im due my extensions out at the end of the month so I will make sure I have some oil by then! So just some cheap stuff out of boots be ok? xx
  • sammylou100
    Options
    If you live or work in London you could go to one of the hairdressing academies, Toni & Guy, Saks & Vidal Sassoon all have them, but generally you have to go in during the day...the one that I go to does any colour for £15 and a cut is a fiver! It does take a while because they are training but that's the only downside, they are supervised at all times. I've been going for about a year and I always leave happy with my hair. This works out almost as cheap as colouring my hair at home because I have VERY thick hair and have to use 2 boxes of colour. :j
  • Jawuk
    Jawuk Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    coconut oil just doesn't work for me...gives my hair an odd fluffy texture and feel. I'd love to cut down on the amount I spend on my hair. styling products for curly hair, and mine is very curly, really add up: frizease, some sort of curling cream (I use Catwalk). I do only go to th hairresser 3-4 times a year. The only other thing that has really saved me anything is reducing the frequency of shampooing. I have animals, and don't like smelling them in my hair, so use to wash alot, but I have found my hair is better, and it costs les, to just condition instad. This is sufficient to deal with smell. I also sometimes leave odinary, not leave in, conditioner in my curly hair. It protects it a bit from the weather/temperature changes I think.

I have very curly hair, frizzy when brushed or after rain. I comb it through only when it's covered in conditioner and not again until I next wash it. I've found that using a little conditioner mixed with water in an ordinary garden sprayer to dampen my hair calms the after-bed frizz into curls, and if I'm lucky, ringlets.
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    karenx wrote: »
    Awsome, Im due my extensions out at the end of the month so I will make sure I have some oil by then! So just some cheap stuff out of boots be ok? xx

I couldn't find any in boots, but someone else mentioned you could buy it there and superdrug. Worth asking. I got mine from H&B but I imagine thats not the cheapest place - I will be shopping round next time I need some. I am also using Organix coconut shampoo & conditioner too (the best I have ever used, its all natural active ingredients, doesn't strip the hair. Not cheap but they are 3 for 2 at boots at the moment. I got the coconut anti serum as the free item. Now, considering my hairs in a bit of a mess at the moment (I'm refusing to have it cut any shorter) this serum has stopped me from using the GHD's, my hairs more relaxed so it doesn't look so damaged. HTH
  • **Juice**
    **Juice** Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    The one I bought was from Boots - it wasn't with the hair stuff, I think it was in with the moisturisers? And don't let the word "oil" fool you, my one was solid in a pot (it melts at body temperature).
  • **Juice**
    **Juice** Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    flippin36 wrote: »
    I am also using Organix coconut shampoo & conditioner too (the best I have ever used, its all natural active ingredients, doesn't strip the hair. HTH

I used the vanilla one of those and hate hate HATED the conditioner, it felt like I hadn't conditioned at all. Smelled lovely but that was about it...
  • clairol55
    Options
    If you live or work in London you could go to one of the hairdressing academies, Toni & Guy, Saks & Vidal Sassoon all have them, but generally you have to go in during the day...the one that I go to does any colour for £15 and a cut is a fiver! It does take a while because they are training but that's the only downside, they are supervised at all times. I've been going for about a year and I always leave happy with my hair. This works out almost as cheap as colouring my hair at home because I have VERY thick hair and have to use 2 boxes of colour.

If you don't want an extremely modern cut or colour i'd stay clear of Vidal Sassoon academies and go for Tony & Guy who are happy to do more classic cuts. I wasn't aware of Vidal Sassoon's style for modern, choppy cuts and colours and wish someone had told me before...
  • susie68
    Options
    I am really interested in what you are saying about coconut oil as a conditioner. My personal quest is to find sodium chloride and sulphate free shampoo & conditioner as I think that these additives are causing a harmful build up on my hair. It is not proving easy to find such products and what I have found is very expensive so if anyone has any ideas/knowledge on this then I would like to hear from you.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport