Showing ID to attend rugby match in Rome

Options
Good news/Bad news.

The good news is that I've got tickets to watch England vs Italy in the 6 Nations this March.:D
The bad news is that I've just got a hospital "date" that means I won't be able to go. :(

I can kiss goodbye to the cost of the flights, but hopeflly I'll be able to get something back for the tickets............but I've got a nagging doubt in the back of my mind about reselling them on.

I've never, ever had to show ID when going to a rugby match in the UK or France to show that the person named on the ticket is me, but I've seen on a football forum that you need to have your ID handy to match against your ticket.

Has anyone gone to a 6 Nations match in Rome and if so, did you have to show any form of ID before entering the Stadio Olimpico ?

Comments

• Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never ever had to show ID at a 6N game, and I've been going since 1980.I've been to Rome a few times, but to Stadio Flaminio not Stadio Olimpico.

Football is VERY different, with all the issues of hooliganism and crowd segregation.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You could claim the flight cost back on your travelers insurance and the ticket cost on the ticket insurance.

But from the tone, I assume you neglected to take out any insurance.

Quite a few events/venues etc state that they "may" check ID, but I have never actually been checked - not sure about Rome tho

If that's the case, you may be out of luck
  • Pollyflinders
    Options
    Oh, Murphy, what a horrible coincidence!

The last game on the 6 Nations in Rome is ideal! We loved it. Wales game, of course.

I agree you're unlikely to be asked for ID, or rather the person who's lucky enough to buy your ticket won't be.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    Backbiter wrote: »
    I've never ever had to show ID at a 6N game, and I've been going since 1980.I've been to Rome a few times, but to Stadio Flaminio not Stadio Olimpico.

Football is VERY different, with all the issues of hooliganism and crowd segregation.

Cheers Backbiter. Thats the answer that I was hoping for. I can now way up the pros and cons of trying to sell on the tickets for my son and I.

JamoLew wrote: »
    You could claim the flight cost back on your travelers insurance and the ticket cost on the ticket insurance.

But from the tone, I assume you neglected to take out any insurance.

Oooooh Tiger, put the claws away. Travel Insurance is in place, but wouldn't cover pre existing conditions. So this trip was effectively "self insured". If I get a few £ back, Happy Days. If I don't, c'est la vie.

Oh, Murphy, what a horrible coincidence!

The last game on the 6 Nations in Rome is ideal! We loved it. Wales game, of course.

I agree you're unlikely to be asked for ID, or rather the person who's lucky enough to buy your ticket won't be.

We may still get to go, but the chances are slim. The hospital could postpone the OP, which means that we can go, but would be a complete and utter PITA from a work front. Or a I could recuperate quickly (unlikely) and be fit to travel/enjoy the game with my lad.

At this stage, going to Rome in 2022 is the most realsitic looking outcome.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would be a bit unfair to ask you for your passport, as half the England team have foreign ones........
  • Pollyflinders
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Would be a bit unfair to ask you for your passport, as half the England team have foreign ones........

It's rugby, not soccer! :)
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    Why not change your hospital date? Best of both worlds.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    Why not change your hospital date? Best of both worlds.

Its a long recuperation period, which will massively impact my business, the later in the year that the operation is done. If it had been done in Mid - Jan as originally "promised", it would have been an altogether different situation !
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Oooooh Tiger, put the claws away. Travel Insurance is in place, but wouldn't cover pre existing conditions. So this trip was effectively "self insured". If I get a few £ back, Happy Days. If I don't, c'est la vie.

So sorry that I didn't answer in the way you wanted me to.

We recently bought some concert tickets that were in excess of £175 each - did we take out the overpriced ticket insurance - yes we did. We don't know what is likely to crop up in the next few months as you are finding out yourself.

As an aside,you say your insurance wouldn't cover for your pre existing condition BUT are they aware of it and happy for you to continue to travel under their T&Cs regardless ?

Be carefull you aren't giving them a potential opportunity to void the policy and/or refuse any potential claim
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2020 at 5:12PM
    Options
    JamoLew wrote: »
    So sorry that I didn't answer in the way you wanted me to.

We recently bought some concert tickets that were in excess of £175 each - did we take out the overpriced ticket insurance - yes we did. We don't know what is likely to crop up in the next few months as you are finding out yourself.

As an aside,you say your insurance wouldn't cover for your pre existing condition BUT are they aware of it and happy for you to continue to travel under their T&Cs regardless ?

Be carefull you aren't giving them a potential opportunity to void the policy and/or refuse any potential claim

Puts claws back into paws.

Enjoy your concert and hopefully you don't need to make a claim on your insurance :beer:.

My condition isn't a serious condition that prevents me from travelling (its arthritis) and they're only concerned with serious conditions (they're words, not mine). The OP that the NHS has lined up for me will (probably) incapacitate me for several weeks and (probably) make flying impossible.
    Hence, this trip was being self insured
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport