Database Address Missing

I seem to be stuck in a perpetual loop trying to get an internet connection to my studio. The building is listed on the Royal Mail Post code finder but not the individual studio door numbers. BT database has some studios listed such as my immediate neighbour. I have emailed the Local Council Planning Department and they forwarded the reply below from Royal Mail.

'We would only hold the studio numbers if they each had their own letterboxes and we delivered to them individually.'

As regards BT I've got as far as arranging an installation appointment which then gets cancelled due to the missing address. BT had advise me to try Post Office address finder but I had the same reply as the council. I had also been informed by BT once a phone line was in I would be upgraded to a 'bronze' address.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I'm at a loss. This is my third attempt to get the address listed. It is a newish building about 7 years old.

Cheers

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If you dont have individual delivery points (letterboxes) then its one delivery point for RMs purposes.
    Do you all pay individual council tax? If so how is the address listed by the council?
  • Tzara
    Tzara Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your quick reply. This is the information my landlord gave me. Which given your response now makes sense to me.

All the studios are already individually registered with the Council for Business rates but I guess the different council department don’t actually communicate with each other ! We can send the rates info to planning to reconfirm the address

It looks like I'll have to ask my landlord to do this for me.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Tzara wrote: »
    Thank you for your quick reply. This is the information my landlord gave me. Which given your response now makes sense to me.

All the studios are already individually registered with the Council for Business rates but I guess the different council department don’t actually communicate with each other ! We can send the rates info to planning to reconfirm the address

It looks like I'll have to ask my landlord to do this for me.

Thats not an answer. Business rates isnt council tax.
    You say studio flats but it sounds more like a bedsit set up?
    Was this built as is or converted building?
  • custardy wrote: »
    They said "Studio" not "Studio flat". For all we know it could be a recording studio and therefore a business, which would mean business rates rather than council tax.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    custardy wrote: »
    Was this built as is or converted building?

OP mentions studio not studio flat. Business rates apply. Sounds like commercial premises to me.
  • Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the address is not in the DB your ISP should be able to sort that with openreach. You may have to bug them. You need to speak with the dept that can deal with address/database error. There used to be a # you could contact direct with Openreach but not sure what that is offhand.
  • Tzara
    Tzara Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 January 2020 at 10:13PM
    Sorry guys I didn't expect to get more replies. It's artists studios not residential.

It look like a really convoluted problem as not only is the post code wrong on the Business rates information! It's a typo but -

"The problem seems to stem from when the original planning permission for the building was given. The developers should have registered the individual studio addresses with the council but didn’t. We should be able to do this retrospectively for a fee and also with some considerable paperwork ! I’m not sure how long this is likely to take."

I expect when all the paperwork is done it will resolved the issue - but who knew it would be so difficult. :exclamati

Thank you all for your help
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Croft12 wrote: »
    If the address is not in the DB your ISP should be able to sort that with openreach. You may have to bug them. You need to speak with the dept that can deal with address/database error. There used to be a # you could contact direct with Openreach but not sure what that is offhand.
    ISPs won't/can't change that. For them it's a matter of "computer says no". It's the building developer job to register the address with the council for CT/BR and the openreach DB if it has an end point.

I had similar problem with a residential property, 2 years old flat that wasn't registered with OpenReach. All other flats in the building were registered with it and it was on the Royal mail DB. The fact I even had the BT/OepnReach termination point in the utility cupboard was irrelevant for all ISPs - since it's not on the OpenReach DB, the address is not on their systems and they can't deal with me, period.

I informed the Landlord, who did something and the address appeared on the OpernReach DB a month or two later. It's only then that I was able to get service from the ISPs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure