Part ecard part debit card payment

Hi all,

Hoping for someone to explain my rights please,

I have found a fridge/freezer at Currys that I liked and as they do price matching I thought I would look online to see if anyone else was cheaper, I found the same model of fridge/freezer from a different company. So I rang Currys to explain I had found it cheaper else where, so the man on the phone checked it out and came back to me and said yes we can price match. So I ended the call, I then went to my wife's work rewards website to see if we could save some more money and we could by buying egift cards. The Fridge/freezer from currys is £1,099.00 and the other website was £799.99 difference of £299.01. So we brought £750 egift cards and went online and purchased the fridge/freezer from Currys using £750 egift card and £349 Debit card payment. I then rang Currys back for the difference £299.01 for the price match and they said I could not have it back on the debit card it would have to be split between gift cards and debit card with £204.06 going back on a gift card and £94.95 going back on to the debit card quoting it is due to money laundering and that's what all retailers do. My problem is I paid £349 on debit card but only want £299.01 back.

So can anybody please tell me my legal rights to this I was polite on the phone and asked him to point to where it said this on there website and he explained that it is not on there website and is not in there T&c's.

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I believe it is correct. They are refunding you proportionally.
  • Thank you Katrina, but is this legal as he could not point me to where it stated this?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you Katrina, but is this legal as he could not point me to where it stated this?
    It's on their website:

Q. What happens if I've paid by gift card and my order is refunded?
    If you have paid by a gift card, this value will be refunded to a new Currys PC World gift card. If you have part paid by gift card the applicable refund value will be split between your payment card and a new Currys PC World gift card.
  • Michaelelise
    Michaelelise Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2020 at 7:22PM
    Thank you David for your reply, but mine is not a order refunded as I have brought the fridge/freezer it is the “price match difference” I want to claim back.
    It seems they are not honouring the price match in my pocket as they are trying to get me to spend another £204.06 in there shop via a gift card.
    Thanks
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    They're still correct - the same principle applies.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They are ‘refunding’ you. The reason isn’t relevant.

They didn’t force you to buy gift cards or even encourage you Or tell you about them. You bought them yourself to save some money (good idea!) but they are not ‘forcing’ you to spend more money in their store. You are the one who chose to buy gift cards expecting the cash element to be refunded.
  • zoob
    zoob Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2020 at 7:41PM
    Yes 100% correct, I’m actually surprised they price matched as you paid mainly with a curry’s egift card, I would have thought price matches would have being based on other retailer excepting same method of payment
  • Thank you all for the kind information, I just thought if I paid over the price difference they would honour it back in my account via my card as it was price matching so I benefited from the promotion. As it stands they are benefiting from there own price match. I could understand if I brought the whole thing in e-gift cards. Is this an unwritten rule between businesses or is there a written regulation that states this?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You are benefiting from it whether it's a gift card or a credit to your debit card. I think it's reasonable to interpret the policy on their website as applying to all refunds. I'm not aware of any legal obligation on them to refund the whole amount in a manner of your choosing. Retailers can make their own rules for "price matching" offers.
  • You are still benefitting. If you had paid cash you’d have got cash back. You didn’t, so you didn’t.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure