Right to buy - property with a wet room

Options
I am planning to purchase my property under the right to buy scheme. I realise that some properties that have adaptions can be refused so id really like to hear from others who may have been in a similar situation.

Has anyone previously been refused a RTB application solely because they have a wet room?

This is the only adaption that was made. The wet room is on the first floor and there are around 8 steps to the front door.

Do you think this may cause an issue?

Comments

• Slubberd
    Slubberd Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Although the property isn't technically adapted throughout by the sound of it - the council may take the view that the investment of such an adaptation can make it excluded for the Right to Buy scheme. Just phone your Right to Buy team - they'll tell you.
  • Amara
    Amara Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's possible, but it depends on the council. Make an application, it's the only way to know for sure.
  • CreditCardJunkie
    Options
    I bought my council house with a wet room through RTB. I was worried it would significantly add to the house price which it didn't. We are based in northern Ireland.
    Debt Free as of December 2020 👏

Save 12k in 2024 #35
  • theselfishaltruist
    Options
    Slubberd said:
    Although the property isn't technically adapted throughout by the sound of it - the council may take the view that the investment of such an adaptation can make it excluded for the Right to Buy scheme. Just phone your Right to Buy team - they'll tell you.
    I wouldn't do that, as you're highlighting the fact you have a wet room. Bear in mind some councils don't like RTB, and many actively oppose it as a policy (many London boroughs do). I would just apply, and see.
    Don't even mention it. I have one, and it didn't come up when I was given my valuation etc..
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 5 April 2020 at 7:58AM
    Options

Slubberd said:
    I wouldn't do that, as you're highlighting the fact you have a wet room. Bear in mind some councils don't like RTB, and many actively oppose it as a policy (many London boroughs do). I would just apply, and see.
    Don't even mention it. I have one, and it didn't come up when I was given my valuation etc..

Assuming the council installed the wet room, would it not be dishonest at best and worst fraud when you applied for your RTB? I could be wrong
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • CreditCardJunkie
    Options
    Was the wet room done by the council or did you do it without notifying them?
    We had a wet room installed in our house by the council prior to us moving in. We since bought the property and it was no issue. However...ours is a 2 bedroom property and only one living room so no place for a bed downstairs. 
    Debt Free as of December 2020 👏

Save 12k in 2024 #35
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was the wet room done by the council or did you do it without notifying them?
    We had a wet room installed in our house by the council prior to us moving in. We since bought the property and it was no issue. However...ours is a 2 bedroom property and only one living room so no place for a bed downstairs. 
    You wanting a rely from snape ?
    I cant see you getting one as they havent been back since January.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure