PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 August 2017 at 5:19PM
    Options
    Tink.....I still eat yoghurt. I buy the plain full fat Greek stuff, very mild, and no nasties added, it is very soothing for IBS and it is good for digestive health. It's lovely with berries and you can always drizzle a little bit of honey over it if you find it's not sweet enough for you.

I have to watch my sugar intake so often use xylitol instead of honey. Not quite as delicious as honey. :rotfl:

As you say just do it gradually, that way the kids probably won't even notice the changes. They can still have pizza, but as a treat now and again.

I don't touch weetabix.....to me it's like eating soggy cardboard but each to his own. My son loves the stuff. I do love my yoghurt and fruit breakfast. It's surprisingly filling.

I miss porridge though and I'm going to try chia seed "porridge". A friend was telling my about a chocolate cake made without flour. Definitely need to try that one......lol
  • lessonlearned
    edited 28 August 2017 at 5:31PM
    Options
    Ps just an afterthought.....do you like frozen vegetables. At least they don't go off if you don't get chance to cook them.

And, unless you are lactose intolerant I would suggest you do eat some dairy, women do need calcium (well men do too of course) but don't forget that as women get older their oestrogen levels fall and they are at risk of osteoporosis so maintaining good calcium levels is very important.

Of course you can get lacto free milk, cheese and yoghurts too if you are lactose intolerant.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lessonlearned - a few posts ago you mentioned paleo baking, if you are having a spell when you find you can/wish to eat cheese the following recipe for cheese crackers is yummy.

Almond flour, olive oil, an egg, a smidgeon of cayenne pepper and grated parmesan cheese, I have made a couple of batches and they are great with so many things when wheat is off limits, really low on parmesan this week so used a goodly amount of cheddar and having to hide them from OH:rotfl:

Recipe link
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was awake again Last night, with really itchy n burning upper arms, n had to put cool packs on them, n take antihistamines, to get any sleep.It's been the same at this time of year, for the past few years now 😣😣😣😣
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Ooh yeah, they look fab., will definitely have a go at those.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all . I am making an attempt to catch up once more . I may have to split this into a number of posts as the hands aren't good today .Thanks for the good wishes . Sciatica is not as bad now . It has a flare if there's a lot that has to be done but it isn't constant now .
    This is the only week we don't have much on appointment wise and then it's one or more every week to mid October .
    Dr ordered yet another X Ray for dd on Friday this time on her thigh . That's a new one .
    As it was going dark last night I went to get something out of the kitchen sink cupboard and discovered a leak . I spent hours trying to sort it and finally had to find the tools in the garage to turn the water off . It was after 1am when I staggered to bed so I feel a bit limp this morning .
    I'm catching up here between phone calls and then I'll move the things that are in front of the plumbing cupboard in the garage to get the plumbers mate and tape out and fingers crossed that will sort it .
    Back shortly
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Prinzess Belated birthday wishes to you . It sounded a perfect way to celebrate . Well done on the bargain pjs . I bought a pair of the white cotton ones in Marks a month or so back . I'd looked at them earlier in the season and decided they were a bit too expensive . I nipped to collect an order and spotted them at below half price in the seasonal clearance . I bought them with next summer in mind but it's been so muggy and humid I washed them and started wearing them and they are lovely and cool .
    You've reminded me I need to have another try at getting some sense out of the Sparks team . When I had the Yahoo problems I changed to Gmail M&S are the only site that will not accept my new email address . Emails and speaking to someone in store have failed . i was advised to phone the Sparks team as they can sort the tech side bur a number of calls haven't resolved it .
    I'm not getting my online offers and it's annoying as they are targeted mainly at things I buy .
    I did get my birthday vouchers through the post so I need to have another go ringing them .
    I saw your soup recipes on another thread and have written them down . I do love homemade soups , they're so handy when you haven't much energy . Having some in the fridge or freezer ready to heat is a good back up .
    You love to cook and I love the variety of food you make . Your dear Mum taught you well .

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    How are you LW ? Did you manage to track down the tongue twister cushion ? I went on the big A site to see if they had them and got a bit distracted . Why did I never know the wonder of a Reading Cushion exists? DD and I were ooh a reading cushion , oh my goodness how could we not have known that . We're life long Bibliophiles and were totally unaware of something we never knew we needed but oh we know now :D
    I keep meaning to ask you about the bar stool you use instead of a perching stool . The OT supplied one here is really not working . The legs stick out beyond the stool in an awkward way and it's a bit like you tripping over your sticks at times .
    It was useless during the sciatica flares as it requires concentration to remember not to trip over the legs . When the Sciatica strikes anything resembling concentration leaves the building .
    I'd be interested to know if your stool isn't a sticky out thing .
    Also anyone here who uses one , any input is welcome .
    polly

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I just did some more at home exercises like squats (I don't think I have ever done them before!) some leg lifts and then some dumbbell exercises for my arms again. My dogs kept running around me trying to lick my face while I was on the floor.:D It wasn't a workout by any standards, but hopefully has loosened up my muscles and got the blood flowing a bit.

It is sunny, but not as hot and sweaty as yesterday thank goodness, humid weather makes me feel awful.:(

I subscribed to the Fibromyalgia magazine so I'm going to read the September issue in a minute.:) I'm having a tofu and veggie stir fry for lunch as I have some leftover from yesterday.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Hi Wednesday You were next on the reply list . I can visualise a lot of polly posts today as I'm pacing one at a time !
    You sound much more positive now . Any exercise that doesn't push you too far is good . It also brings in a benefit mentally . We were at the doctors on Friday and ended up working back to when DDs Amitriptyline was stopped . The reason was the Pregabalin and some other meds dd was taking . A link was found suggesting the Amit could react with some other meds including Pregab and raise a risk of heart problems . Our doctor is very much up to date and stopped it then . If anything her anxiety and depression is more under control now . Just getting through two assessments has shown that . As I've mentioned before the Amit is usually the 1st med tried for Fibro but dd had been moved to the Pregab . She's always been on meds for the MH illness but feels much better on the current regime .
    If not already you'll begin to see Lyrica on the pharmacy label . We were told they were going over to that name and on Friday it was on the label instead of Pregab . Quite a relief as she has a carrier full of meds each month and the simpler the name the better :D
    Later today I'll talk about pain management .I need to catch up with everyone first in between answering the phone .
    Monday is usually phone calls but after the bank holiday today is in Monday mode .
    Is it just me ? I don't know what day it is after a BH and tend to have to check the day to make sure . Of course those north of the border will have it to come .
    Have a good day
    polly

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport