PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was just going to put the post number on and the relevant bit of the post shall I make a separate record of the contributors so we can put a list of acknowledgement in at the beginning or end of the document?
    Mrs LW, sorry, I only just read this paragraph (I read the other two, not this one :o) I've been going back through the last few days and pasting fire precautions for myself!

I can't do it the way you're describing now, as I've been amalgamating some posts - a half dozen words need to be put with something similar, for my own sense of tidiness :p. I don't think thanks to each contributor are necessary - "to all on the XXX thread on mse" of course. Naming some and not others seems to be asking for trouble, but some people contribute such a lot it seems a shame not to mention them.

What do others think?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're absolutely right KARMA I'll just extract the relevant bits and make loose collections of them if that makes any sense to Thrifty who looks like being the co-ordinator.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That reminds me...

Remember my friend's son who was left home alone recently? I had to take him to football practice last year, and was surprised to see he had pink football boots. Poor lad! I bet those were the cheapest in the shop. :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some of my Scouts wear very lurid trainers - I think some Big Name Players have been snapped wearing them & that makes it OK then. For a very defined value of OK! That said, whenever a parent asks about camp blankets I'm adamant that only real wool will do - scouts routinely are associated with fire & thus fleece is massively not the right answer, not any wool blend.

At work, we've been getting Post Manchester advice, including things which may seem blinking obvious but possibly bear repeating like
    leave spare house keys w neighbour/friend
    be certain work has a contact no
    always carry essential medication
    keep a separate list of mobile numbers in case your phone dies
    have alternative arrangements for children, relatives & pets
    etc. Left me thinking so how do I carry my bunch of keys around the building with me, as the car key is almost as important as the phone...

I've been tasked with updating the team business continuity plan - if we have out laptops & work phones with us, disasters can happen & we will be expected to carry right on working from pretty much anywhere. However our Central Emergency phone line is as much use as a felt teapot & lugging a laptop has all the appeal of backache.
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,674 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "...or a hurricane going thru downtown Houston would drop so much glass from towers that the streets would be buried 20 ft deep in shards. Nothing living would survive that."
    Checks hurricane season in Texas again; heading off there later in the year when the weather is more reasonable.

I moved out of a tower block in 2014 and remember the kerfuffle about requests in 2010 to remove all items from hallways. Certain floors, as they'd all moved in during the 60's, had colonised the landings by the lifts with rugs and side tables, plastic flowers and large plants, pictures... heaps of stuff guaranteed to melt.

Only 3 floors up but checking my escape routes and fire extinguishers. Oh! and if the landlord extinguishers have been checked yearly.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Mrs LW, sorry, I only just read this paragraph (I read the other two, not this one :o) I've been going back through the last few days and pasting fire precautions for myself!

I can't do it the way you're describing now, as I've been amalgamating some posts - a half dozen words need to be put with something similar, for my own sense of tidiness :p. I don't think thanks to each contributor are necessary - "to all on the XXX thread on mse" of course. Naming some and not others seems to be asking for trouble, but some people contribute such a lot it seems a shame not to mention them.

What do others think?

Best not to name individual contributors imo.

It would create problems if any individual contributors had been missed off - as to why they had been missed off. The "thanks" game does get used/abused on MSE rather a lot - "political" thanking of friends and deliberate non-thanking of others.

So "To all on the XXX thread" seems appropriate and would avoid "politics" (aka "asking for trouble").
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( Our council regularly have to go head-to-head with tenants who think it's acceptable to store mopeds and motorbikes, pots of paint, stacks of cardboard on the communal landings and in/ under the stairwells, as well as littering the area with pushbikes and baby buggies. Not even to mention stringing linen lines across the landings............ and the doormats and potted plants etc etc.

I'd bet anything that the heads of housing departments/ housing associations across the land are calling their minions in and instigating a zero-tolerance policy for clutter in communal areas, going forward. Expect a lot of Misc Provisions Notices being served...........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Perplexed_Pineapple
    Options
    Thinking about it, the single most useful think I could take if we had to escape from a fire would be my keys. With my keys, I could access my car. A miscellaneous collection of kit lives semi-permanently in the back of my car, including blankets, water, at least some food, of course the car itself is shelter of a sort and we could use it to get to friends or family. What I should do is keep some emergency cash concealed in the car somewhere so I had emergency funds for fuel, more food etc and that should be enough to get us through any immediate crisis. Of course if the fire was started by a massive EMP my car might not work but we'd still have the supplies in it. I don't live in a tower block but I do know personally at least 2 families who have been burnt out of ordinary residential houses.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :)PP, I've heard of preppers who've had some banknotes in an old envelope amidist a lot of other papery carp in their car's glove box, and this has been missed even when the car was broken into and was missed even when the box was rifled. Obvs, if they offski with the whole motor that's not going to be of any benefit.

DigForVictory, when I walk around my very large workplace, if I'm going into a meeting or even to visit the bathroom, I take my shoulderbag with me. I was once enthroned, so to speak, when a fire alarm went off and I had to exit our building far from our own department. Made me think how s****d I would have been if it hadn't been a drill, with my flat's keys, wallet and phone all in a bag under my desk.

If there was an emergency here, being one of the LA's frontline team, I would be working to help serve the public, unless I was injured in such as way as to make it impossible. I would regard it as my duty to be at my post; there ain't that many of us who can work the big-a$$ telephony system, after all.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Totally not having the handbag software installed, how do you recommend carrying anything bigger than my phone (eg carkeys) around the office? I do get away with murder sartorially speaking but a bumbag is not on, although a belt mounted to leg tie toolkit type pack might justabout be coped with. Please may suggestions be accompanied by weblinks?!

Thinking hard, I supposed I could carry my carkey in my hair, or even alongside my locket on my necklace but strewth the thigh-kit would be easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure