Has my local council/planning office devalued my house.

I purchased my house about 6 years ago & as it has a very large garden i have just started an application for planning for another single house. I have also just found out about a month later that since i have been living here the council have put a line on there planning map in 2016 to exclude myself & 5 other back gardens from being within the exceptical building & planning area. There was an application turned down for a 12 house development before i moved here, but my one is a single house at least 60 meters from another property.
I, or none of the other freeholders have been informed of this new boundary & it will affect my application that i just paid over £800 for. I believe It will also affect the value & resale of my property. Do you think i am correct. The trouble with the local planning department is they seem to be the last stop, or is there someone else i can get involved after they say no & after my appeal, as it seems completely unfair any of us should loose.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    You could probably argue to get your fee back as they should have been able to see it wasnt possible beforehand if this line means a blanket no.

As for reducing the value of your property? No. You bought a house with a big garden and no PP, and you still have that.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If you buy a house with a big back garden thinking great I can build a house on that then you are to blame, you still have what you bought.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Having seen quite a few plans the first thing that should be done is a search to see if planning consent could be given. Your search should have shown up the restriction.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Having seen quite a few plans the first thing that should be done is a search to see if planning consent could be given. Your search should have shown up the restriction.

Considering the OP posted before that he had a patch of land with PP I'm guessing he has simply been getting ahead of himself...
  • collectors
    collectors Posts: 231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Considering the OP posted before that he had a patch of land with PP I'm guessing he has simply been getting ahead of himself...

My thought is when i purchased my property in 2011, this restriction wasn't there. The restriction was put in place in 2016 without myself or any of my 5 neighbours being told which land it goes across.
    I have forked out just over £800.00 & surly they should tell you that this wouldn't be possible before taking the money.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    collectors wrote: »
    My thought is when i purchased my property in 2011, this restriction wasn't there. The restriction was put in place in 2016 without myself or any of my 5 neighbours being told which land it goes across.
    I have forked out just over £800.00 & surly they should tell you that this wouldn't be possible before taking the money.

How did you find out about the restricition?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The people who record the application are administrators not planners. Their job is to record the app, not pre-determine it.

You bought a house with a large garden, which is what you still have. A large garden doesn't automatically mean you can apply for and be given pp for a second dwelling.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • collectors
    collectors Posts: 231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How did you find out about the restriction?

One of the old parish council leaders posted it as an objection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure