Flight delay compensation, all other EU airlines

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome jhenrikb,

It has already been legally established that technical faults (other than manufacturing defects that require a full fleet recall/grounding) do not allow an airline to refuse compensation.

You should apply directly to the airline requesting EU261 flight delay compensation. This is what the regs say in your situation...

2.2.6. Scope of the Regulation in relation to the Package Travel Directive
    Article 3(6) and Recital 16 of the Regulation stipulate that it also applies to flights within a package tour, except where a package tour is cancelled for reasons other than cancellation of the flight. It is also stated that the rights granted under the Regulation do not affect the rights granted to passengers under the Package Travel Directive21.

Please read Vaubans great guide, details are below.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • MontyBazil
    Options
    2 weeks ago had flight from Newcastle via BRussels with Brussels air then to Newark USA with United AIr booked through travel agent. However on arrival at Newcastle flight was cancelled
    . We got a minibus to Manchester then a BA flight to Heathrow then United air to Newark we arrived 7hours late. Travel agent advised i contact Brussels air 're compen claim. However Brussels air say it's not there fault and I should contact BMI surely this is wrong?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any claim of compensation is against the carrier operating the flight affected. In your case, that's BMI Regional.
  • MontyBazil
    Options
    Thank you will try them.
  • MontyBazil
    Options
    Thanks will try that.
  • RWa01
    RWa01 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,

New to the forums and first post for me!

Myself and my girlfriend were due to fly back from Dublin to LHR on 23rd June but when we reached the airport we were told the flight was cancelled (there was no prior warning through email / SMS etc. but we were unable to check in online).

The airline put us up for a night and we took another flight to LHR the next morning.

Can anyone tell me if we are able to claim any compensation, or perhaps this will be (at least claimed to be) due to the disruption from French air strikes this month...?

Thanks in advance.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    RWa01 wrote: »
    Hi all,

New to the forums and first post for me!

Myself and my girlfriend were due to fly back from Dublin to LHR on 23rd June but when we reached the airport we were told the flight was cancelled (there was no prior warning through email / SMS etc. but we were unable to check in online).

The airline put us up for a night and we took another flight to LHR the next morning.

Can anyone tell me if we are able to claim any compensation, or perhaps this will be (at least claimed to be) due to the disruption from French air strikes this month...?

Thanks in advance.

Hi RWa01,

ATC strike action is classified as an Extraordinary Circumstance (EC) which can allow the airline to escape it's obligation to pay compensation, depending on the exact details.

Some airline have been known to stretch the truth so it's best to check. After all, you don't fly through French air space on that route and DUB is their main base.

Try putting your flight details into one or two online flight calculators, such as Botts, go see what they think.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • RWa01
    RWa01 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tyzap, I suspected as much. Thanks for the quick reply.

Not heard of Botts so will give it a try.

Cheers.
  • thetrooper
    Options
    I am travelling to JFK from Gatwick on 12th July and booked to return on 17th July flight at 2300 landing on 18th July. Norwegian cancelled our return flight (they confirmed due to a technical issue 3 weeks before?!). Through our travel agent they offered us a return flight (new flight number) at 11am on 17th which I wasnt happy about due to missing the last day of our holiday and things we had booked. My travel agent has managed to get us on the 2300 flight on 18th July which is great. However, my question is are we due compensation at all? Specifically I would like them to at least foot the bill for the extra night in the hotel and days car park at Gatwick. Thanks in advance
  • Tyzap
    Options
    thetrooper wrote: »
    I am travelling to JFK from Gatwick on 12th July and booked to return on 17th July flight at 2300 landing on 18th July. Norwegian cancelled our return flight (they confirmed due to a technical issue 3 weeks before?!). Through our travel agent they offered us a return flight (new flight number) at 11am on 17th which I wasnt happy about due to missing the last day of our holiday and things we had booked. My travel agent has managed to get us on the 2300 flight on 18th July which is great. However, my question is are we due compensation at all? Specifically I would like them to at least foot the bill for the extra night in the hotel and days car park at Gatwick. Thanks in advance

If they informed you, 14 days or more, prior to your flight, compensation is not due. Unfortunately, via the EU261 flight delay regulations you cannot claim for any unrelated costs either, such as hotel and car parking.

That's not to say you cannot claim for those additional cost, just not under EU261 regs.

You can claim additional costs back via the Montreal Convention or the civil court system.

Good luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback