PIP award

I've been transitioning from dla to PIP and today received my award letter.

I'm a bit confused because it doesn't give an award length.
All it says 'for an on going period

Any idea what this means ?

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nannytone wrote: »
    I've been transitioning from dla to PIP and today received my award letter.

I'm a bit confused because it doesn't give an award length.
    All it says 'for an on going period

Any idea what this means ?

Basically it means that the award will continue with no fixed period for reassessment.

What rates were you awarded?

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/pip
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ongoing means they'll contact you after 10 years.

Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/33845/indefinite-pip-awards#X1qGkyS1yRbIFIvX.99
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was quite surprised because I was awarded enhanced for both.

I know that my forms were poor but felt that my assessment went well. But it's always in the back of your mind that the assessor aren't always quite as nice as they seem ;)/B]
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Ongoing means they'll contact you after 10 years.

Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/33845/indefinite-pip-awards#X1qGkyS1yRbIFIvX.99

Not entirely true I don't think.

Whilst there is the possibility that the DWP may well leave alone for 10 years BUT there is also the possibility that they may wish to revisit the decision at any time of their choosing by carrying out an unplanned review The regulations allow them to do this.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    Danday wrote: »

Whilst there is the possibility that the DWP may well leave alone for 10 years BUT there is also the possibility that they may wish to revisit the decision at any time of their choosing by carrying out an unplanned review The regulations allow them to do this.

Exactly the same as an indefinite award in DLA. I was never reassessed in the 21 years that I claimed it.
    I have a condition that cannot improve so I'm happy knowing that I have got the longest award that it's possible for me to get
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Yep 'ongoing' is the PIP equivalent of the DLA 'indefinite'. I had the same, essentially the idea with PIP is that noone will receive it indefinitely without review, and so they've changed awards that don't end to 'ongoing' with review no earlier than ten years from the award date.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

"Posters seeking advice in this forum need to bear in mind that this is a public site on which anyone can post. You can't assume information is trustworthy, indeed some posters are known to disrupt, post disinformation, and tell tall stories.
    The MSE forum team do not moderate this forum.

I would caution forumites to be wary of any advice supplied that doesn't contain a link to an authoritative site. Such sites include adviceguide, entitled to, turn2us, revenuebenefits, gov..uk.
    Accredited benefit advice is available from local advice agencies such as Citizens Advice.

Please don't take horror stories about the benefit process, assessments, appeals etc at face value. There are posters on here who whose aim seems to be to alarm, frighten, and generally dissuade OP's from pursuing sensible actions to claim / regain the right benefits.

Harmful and misleading posters are easily identified by the reaction to their posts
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Nannytone wrote: »
    I was quite surprised because I was awarded enhanced for both.

I know that my forms were poor but felt that my assessment went well. But it's always in the back of your mind that the assessor aren't always quite as nice as they seem ;)/B]
    So pleased for you Nannytone, I was surprised at my award last August when I moved from DLA to PIP. I was awarded for 10 years, until at least 2028.
    You don't realise how stressed it makes you feel until the award letter arrives, do you. Great news, very pleased for you.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    Great news nannytone!

My DLA was 'indefinite' . Last year I transitioned to PiP and was given 'ongoing' - with a recommendation that the award need not be looked at again for 10 years...which seems to suggest ongoing means 10 years.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Given the backlog DWP currently have with moving people from DLA to PIP, and the number of people who do have short-limited awards which will require re-assessment, I think it is extremely unlikely that they will recall someone who has an award "for an ongoing period" for reassessment within 10 years, if at all - unless they got a tip-off of suspected fraud of course.

I was on mobility allowance until it changed to being DLA in 1992, when I was given an indefinite award. No further contact from them until 2003, when I re-applied, as failed surgery increased my disability and I applied for the care component to go alongside the mobility component. The award was again "indefinite", and I have never been called for re-assessment in the last 15 years.

I hope that, when I finally get called in to switch to PIP I get an award "for an ongoing period" - Barring an actual miracle, my physical situation isn't going to improve, that's for sure .
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure