MMD: Should I claim money from cash-strapped council?

Former_MSE_Naomi
Former_MSE_Naomi Posts: 519
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
Forumite
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I pay for a parking permit from my council. When I renewed this year, it got lost in the post and I was charged £20 to have it reissued. I think this is unfair and I'm considering fighting to get my cash back. But considering how little money many councils have, should I just let it go?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Shiggaddi
    Shiggaddi Posts: 938
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    It may be a cash strapped council, but charging £20 for a piece of paper and postage is certainly making a profit from the situation. This is assuming you've paid the normal amount plus £20. Also if it's lost in the post, can't the council claim from Royal Mail and send the replacement for free. If you buy something from an online retailer, and it gets lost in the post, it is their responsibility to send out a replacement and for them to claim from the courier. Why should it be any different to the council.
  • Tiptaker
    Tiptaker Posts: 41 Forumite
    If you lost it they could justify charging for replacement, but if you didn't receive it t...... How do you know they even posted It? Of course you should protest, the Council should claim from the royal mail.
  • dickavis
    dickavis Posts: 28 Forumite
    It's their responsibility to ensure that you receive it. If you've not received it it's not your fault so why should you pay?
  • They would happily take you to court and send bailiffs to remove goods from your home or have you put in prison if you refused to pay your council tax. Being forced to pay for a permit is robbery in the first place, being able to park outside your own home should not be a luxury
  • They would happily take you to court and send bailiffs to remove goods from your home or have you put in prison if you refused to pay your council tax. Being forced to pay for a permit is robbery in the first place, being able to park outside your own home should not be a luxury. The government makes enough money from motorists as it is without having to defraud another £20
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    damm right! you paid for it in the first place. they failed to deliver! really they should have offered to send out a replacement free of charge!

they might plead poverty and that they cash strapped. but i bet the council top brass are on five and maybe even six figure wages!

i know mine are here in oldham.
  • As a fellow suffer under Oldham council's tyranny, I can only agree the upper management who tend to come up with these crazy schemes i.e £20 to replace a document they lost.

It's quite sickening really, 90% of the staff know they can do no wrong
  • As others have said the council would not hesitate to send in the bailiffs if the shoe was on the other foot.
    Also most councils still have plenty of money , they just don`t spend it wisely and that is because they pay over inflated salaries to managers who havent a clue what they are doing . they are just going through the motions and counting down the days until they can draw their massive council tax subsidised pensions . Believe me I`ve worked for a council in the past.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 476
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    could you not collect one from the council offices for free (save the cost & risk of postage?)
  • joehoover
    joehoover Posts: 146
    First Post
    Forumite
    Councils made £819 million in parking fines last year, up 20%.

They are increasingly not about services (as my rubbish collection and street cleaning leaves a lot to be desired) but about making money.

Parking fines is a money making scheme for them, I also had to get new Gas and Electric for my work premises and did some comparisons and one company called Lumina I noticed in the small print said it was owned by Kent County Council, so they are now expanding into the energy supply market and the profits that comes with that.

So it is increasingly apparent they are operating as businesses rather than a service we already pay for. So do what you would do with any company who had scammed you and push for a full refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure